Can't ghost load M4?

Medic650

I thought ghost loading was possible with the M4. Just picked up a new M4 and when I was assembling it, I noticed the notch on bottom of bolt carrier. Sure enough, can't ghost load a shell onto carrier. The H2O I used to have would allow ghost loading so I was surprised.

Next question, grind out the notch or fill it in with weld to allow ghost loading.

For many years I've been reading about Ghost Loading Benelli's. If you like to fool around at the range, then by all means have fun with that "extra round". If you depend on your Benelli to save your life or your families, then DON'T. Ghost Loading an extra shell works sometimes but mostly will jam up your shotgun. Once it's jammed, your done. You can't ask a criminal to please wait while you disasemble and put back together your Benelli. If you're trying to save your life and you haven't ended "the dance" with one or two shots, then I hope you have life insurance. Again, if you're fooling around at the range, get the +2 magazine extension, Ghost Load your Benelli and buy the speed load attachment.

For many years I've been reading about Ghost Loading Benelli's. If you like to fool around at the range, then by all means have fun with that "extra round". If you depend on your Benelli to save your life or your families, then DON'T. Ghost Loading an extra shell works sometimes but mostly will jam up your shotgun. Once it's jammed, your done. You can't ask a criminal to please wait while you disasemble and put back together your Benelli. If you're trying to save your life and you haven't ended "the dance" with one or two shots, then I hope you have life insurance. Again, if you're fooling around at the range, get the +2 magazine extension, Ghost Load your Benelli and buy the speed load attachment.

SGTCATHY.....well said about the ghost loading.As I'm sure you know.most confrontations with police and the bad guy end in one round from a 12 ga. anyway.(some stats I read awhile back)

In a tactical situation I agree. Obviously the original design of Benelli allowed the ghost loading. Sometime after HK quit importing Benellis, a change was made to stop the ability to do so. One time I was told by a Benelli rep it was to satisfy wildlife management. That way for game or areas that limited magazine capacity to two rounds a shooter couldn't cheat and load an extra round on the carrier.

In 20 + years I have never had a jam or failure due to ghost loading in even the most extreme hunting conditions with my early M1 or early generation Super Blackeagle.

USMC carrier loads. I don't know of a time that my HD needs for reliability with multiple shells would exceed that of the active duty Marines during combat. I have gone through several thousand carrier loads without a single hitch.