Mesa tactical problem.

Alexm5656

Hi, I recently bought benelli m4 and switched out the butt stock and sidesaddle for the Mesa tactical ones. This was a huge mistake as the grip on the buttstock came loose and the side saddle stripped the threading out of the top of the reciever. I was able to salvage three of the screws but the other two are gone during a shooting class. Anyone else have this issue?? It's looking like I'm going to have to re thread the holes somehow because the screws no longer fit properly. And if you did what remedies did you take. Emails to mesa tactical have gone unanswered. I for sure thought mesa tactical put out good products, but to say these are over priced shotty products is an understatement.

If I contacted benelli directly would they be of service??

Does the Mesa Side saddle come with screws or do you reuse the stock screws?

In either case, the screws are in all likely hood some form of Steel. The receiver is aluminium. Assuming the screws were the right threading, I can't imagine Mesa will be able to help as I am not sure how they could have designed to avoid whatever caused the issue you are experiencing.

With regards to the butt stock, when you say it came loose, can you provide more details?

The actual grip came off the butt stock. I'm gonna try and cement glue it back on but I just can't believe how bad there products are. I should have gotten the 3 gun gear Velcro side saddle and figured sonething else out with the butt stock. Oh well that's what happens when u don't buy quality

Yep, I experienced quality issues as well. Below is my email to Mesa.

So I recently purchased a urbino stock from FFT and was shipped without the cheek riser. I contacted you guys and you were able to send me out one in a short period of time so thank you for that (even though it is someones fault other than mine for packing product). Now to the good stuff. Not even two weeks later did the hand grip begin to slide off with minimal effort. I had to use superglue and epoxy to keep the d*** thing on. And today, if you can believe it or not, the butt pad fell off the butt plate. I have less than 500 rounds through the gun and the stock was attached as instructed. So here's the question, how can you go around claiming USA Made when the quality of your product is worst than the sh** hitting the shores from China. Can you explain to me why your product, which peoples lives depend on has the rubber grip fall off during normal operation and then the sadly attached adhesive butt plate hits the floor? Luckily I had two operators with me back from Iraq and Afghanistan who witnessed the poor craftmanship so hopefully they instruct their fellow comrades of the crap you guys are putting out. I wish I could say I was dropping my shotgun from 5 story buildings or have shot 50,000 rounds through it but that would be untrue. Chances are you are not going to do anything about it and that's fine. I won't worry about forwarding you a copy of my receipt and all that jazz. You can pawn it off on some crap Quality Control guy or a 1 in a million production run type deal but the truth is, in my eyes, your just trying to gouge the market and quality is not even remotely a concern. As the adage goes, if you have a good product maybe your customer will tell one or two people but if you have a crap product they'll tell at least ten......well ten is an understatement......good luck fellas.

Below is their response.

I apologize for the problems you have experienced with our Urbino tactical stock. Despite the unfortunate issues you encountered, our products have a reputation for some of the highest quality in the industry, and we didn't earn this reputation through clever advertising.

When our customers do experience field issues (and of course they do, everyone's customers do), we do whatever we can to rectify the problems. But it doesn't sound like you want us to do anything to help you.

Good luck and best regards,

Mitch

And I know some of you guys will say am I overly harsh...and that may be true...but you don't get second chances when your life is on the line and neither should the products you use.

Interesting thread. Mesa does make quality stuff. Remember folks, there is a failure rate with everything.

In regards to the original post. I'm sorry your grip has come off. This problem, and the other individual's, are likely isolated issues. Remember there are thousands of these stocks out there and this is not a known problem.

We need more info as why the screws are stripped out from the Side Saddle. I cannot help but think the problem arose from poor installation. Since the receiver is aluminum and the screws are steel, it very likely the receiver threads are damaged, not the screws. Yes, the receiver can be rethreaded but this will not be cheap or easy. Benelli has no obligation to Warranty damage from aftermarket parts.

Luckily not all five were stripped and I've found someone to re thread and install new screws. I highly doubt is " poor installation" since I followed instructions. This isn't isolated incidents either, all you have to do is google it and it comes up. The fact they keep putting the produc is OBVIOUS flaws ridiculous. I'm gonna try and get the c stock directly from benelli thru LE pricing. I also got a email from "Mitch" and he said he would glady ship a new grip and never hear from him again. I would seriously stay away from any of their products. I have all hr magpul furniture on my 870 and it's been nothin short of excellent. Unfortunately they don't make furniture for benelli yet.

Isolated incident??? Google it and you find tons of threads on it, all complaining about the same issue. What bothers me is that they continue to put out this shotty product and then their excuse is "sorry is a rare incident". It isn't $400 shotgun, it's a very expensive weapon system and the "we are sorry" excuse isn't going to cut it. I found someone very reputable to re thread holes and ill let guys know how it turns out.

As far as grip, I also got email from "Mitch" and he states he would send me another grip and never heard from him again. I have all magpul furniture on my 870 and it's been nothing short of excellent and it shows why magpul has rep it does. I'm sorry for the rant but when a product wrecks a $1800 gun I get pissed.

STAY AWAY FROM MESA TACTICAL!!!

I have no love for Mesa products but I hardly see where the issue with the side saddle is anyone's fault but the end user. If you can't distinguish the difference between aluminum and steel and aren't paying enough attention when you are installing an item like this then possibly you need the services of a qualified gunsmith.

As for the stock issue, there have been many reports of folks not being happy with various things. The rubber grip is a known issue as is the gap around the trigger guard. This is the first I have heard of the butt plate falling off. Personally, I would be doing forum searches before I bought aftermarket items like this.

There was great fanfare surrounding the release of this stock and when it was all said and done, I believe that Mesa dropped the ball on a few things. That's just my opinion and is worth what you paid for it. I have OEM C-stocks (legally) on both my M4's and there is a reason why they command black market prices. Even the standard non PG OEM stock is a superior product compared to the Mesa stock IMHO.

Listen I'm not on here to rant and rave...I'm on here to see if others experienced same issue and what they did to resolve it...I'm also on here to let others know there's other options. This isn't an isolated incident, a simple search can reveal that. Yes unfortunately I didn't do my research and based my purchase on mesa tacticals supposed "good" reputation.

This is my patrol shotgun and god forbid I get into something where my life's on the line I would like to say the product held up and did its job. Its a little disconcerning that they cant even reply to a simple email to try and resolve the issue. i know they arent going to fix but an acknowledgement and some type resolution goes a long way. Like the earlier poster stated, gun and gear runs heavily on word of mouth and I cant in good faith recommend any of there products to fellow officers when it may risk their life and would in fact go out of my way to sway them from their products.

Edited by Alexm5656

Do you have a thread pitch gauge? I believe the top rail screws should be 7.5mm. Did you use any kind of torque measuring gauge to torque the top rail screws? You're looking for 16 - 18 inch lbs. Too much torque and the top rail screws will strip. Not enough torque, and they'll back out and begin battering the rail during recoil. Blue Locktite is recommended.

The only way to fix the holes would be either to install helicoils or have the holes rethreaded with a larger size. Both jobs are going to require a skilled gunsmith.

Friction between the grip and the plastic core could be increased by degreasing both parts.

The rail screw topic has been discussed many times and not all screws that look alike are the same on close inspection. Combine steel versus aluminum with incorrect screw thread pitch = rail misery.

Photos by permission: Benelli M4 Anatomy Series Manual

Screenshot2013-03-28at95146AM_zpse1c5dfe7.png

Screenshot2013-03-28at95311AM_zps59baf968.png

Edited by benelliwerkes

I also have the Messa Urbino stock along with a shotshell carrier. The one that goes on the stock though.

So far I am up to 500 rds thru the gun with 300 of those rds with the Messa stock. No problems yet. I bought from FFT and it says they carry a lifetime warranty on anything they sell. Hope I don't have to use it, I really like the stock.

I have the Mesa Tactical Stock and love it. My wife who is only 5'1 and about 115lbs (I'm 6'2 and 240) shoots skeet and even sent some TruBall slugs down range a few weeks ago and she's no one to mess with when she's got her hands on my M4. The Mesa Stock with cheek riser and limbsaver butt pad are as close to perfect for our needs as it gets. It DID loosen up after the first trip to the range however some locktite and a little more "umph" when tightening did the trick and no more issues - ever. I use the SideArmor Side Saddle with the removable 8 shot holder though and am also happy with this item.

Sharkey,

What did you put locktite on? I hope you didn't put it on the screw that holds the stock to the receiver extension. You will have a nightmare on your hands if you try to disassemble it. The threaded portion will unscrew. One user got socked in the face by the stock when he was removing it since the recoil spring pushed it off.

Sharkey,

What did you put locktite on? I hope you didn't put it on the screw that holds the stock to the receiver extension. You will have a nightmare on your hands if you try to disassemble it. The threaded portion will unscrew. One user got socked in the face by the stock when he was removing it since the recoil spring pushed it off.

I was thinking the same thing. Or, he ends up having to cut it off like that one chap did.:(

Yep. Have to cut the stock open to recover your parts. Then you'll probably FUBAR the stock retaining screw when you try to remove it from the screw. The entire exterior is threaded, so you're stuck trying to retain the part with enough tension for the screw to break the thread locker. That part isn't cheap either, it's like 25 bucks. You'd do well cooking the part with a MAPP torch to break the hold.

As the kids would say, this design is an epic fail.

Sharkey,

I used just a dab of purple, "low strength" and CAN get it off. I've had it off once since and just left the residue in there with no issues. Thank you for the heads up though and good call. I only use the heavy duty stuff where recommended and the week stuff for odd issues or scope mounts and the like. Even used it for the rail which has held well without going to anything heavier.

I hope you didn't put it on the screw that holds the stock to the receiver extension. You will have a nightmare on your hands if you try to disassemble it. The threaded portion will unscrew. One user got socked in the face by the stock when he was removing it since the recoil spring pushed it off.

I just Loctite'd this last week... with these EXACT results. Solution?

Loctite the buffer retaining nut in place! The stock bolt will then unscrew. Getting the now-Loctite buffer nut off involves a heat gun, but we're all familiar with that!

Now I'm just gonna put a split washer in there like one user mentioned...

Locktiting the stock retaining screw into the receiver extension would work. The only issue would be if you ever need to remove it. You'd need a heatgun or a MAPP torch to break the threadlocker before unscrewing it. The part is difficult to remove since it uses an odd ball size bit to unscrew it. Even with a proper bit, there isn't much bite on the fastener. It would be really easy to strip.

• 4 weeks later...

Ended having to repay a gunsmith to re thread all the screw and attaching original benelli rail. Attached a insight mrds and sho about 30 rounds today and it held up like a champ. Just bought the esstac shotgun cards and gonna use that as my sidesaddle. My buddy has same and he warned me about the mesa stuff. Urbino stock grip is still kinda loose but that's minor in comparison to other issue.

i warn everyone, stay away from the their side saddle. I know some people have had luck with it but I wouldn't take the chance. Because of their shotty product my expensive shotgun had to be re tapped. The shot gun cards with Velcro work great, they are cheap, lightweight and just more convienent.

• 7 years later...