Send my lifter off??? Nah haha

06-530rr

I was gonna send my lifter out to get extended but why pay for something when it's more satisfying to so yourself. So I'm just gonna make it from scratch using titanium. I just started a few minutes ago so ill post pics as I go along. I could talk for days about metal fabrication but I won't bore all the details

null-28.jpg

null-27.jpg

Edited by 06-530rr

I'm impressed. That is some serious skill. Even doing the layout would be tough. How do you press those raised edges into the inner side of the elevator? Or the rear pivot point raised bosses.

I'm curious to hear how the titanium works too. I never found titanium to be very smooth or slick to the touch. My concern would be the surface interfering with the shells as they're ejected from the magazine tube.

Also, I would have gotten rid of the moon shape cut in the front of the elevator. It would help avoid the Benelli thumb.

Also, I would have gotten rid of the moon shape cut in the front of the elevator. It would help avoid the Benelli thumb.

Not sure I understand why that's on the Ti pattern either since that's the modification that would ordinarily be made when you send it off.

I'm curious to hear how the titanium works too. I never found titanium to be very smooth or slick to the touch. My concern would be the surface interfering with the shells as they're ejected from the magazine tube.

Good point.

I've got a bunch of knives with Ti frame locks and some are pretty smooth and others are granular.

If the raw plate is too gummy/granular...I bet it can be polished to a nice smooth surface with a scotch brite wheel and then a buffing wheel.

My guess is the finished product will be moonless and the pattern is just a tracing.;)

I'm gonna polish it.

The half moon is there on the layout just to give me one more place to double check the measurements. It will be extended to meet up at the tube. And I'm gonna try something different at that spot. Not sure if it will work but it works in my little engineering brain. Lol

Here is my progress as of yesterday. I'm curious... Do I really need the cutout in the center?

The purpose of design for an open center of a shotgun carrier is to allow for the operator to manage a cartridge loading malfunction; specifically, rapid re-loading of the magazine risks a cartridge not being captured in the magazine by the primary cartridge stop.......the result being, the magazine spring then drives the non-captured cartridge back onto the carrier and beneath the closed bolt......this will completely jam the ability to cycle the action with pump shotguns and most autoloaders. In order to clear the malfunction, one typically has to remove the magazine cap, magazine spring, all the cartridges in the magazine tube and then jiggle out the cartridge jammed under the bolt !.....Not good for a tactical shotgun. Remington 870 carriers were re-designed with a Flex-Tab carrier that would provide some downward room for the radius of the cartridge lip to deflect when the operator vigorously cycled the action to clear the malfunction.....in 1-2 quick strokes, rather than disassembling the gun. Often called the the fastest pump auto, the Winchester 1200 - 1300 series (and FN Tactical shotgun clone), suffer from the same carrier design disability. I modify my carriers to make sure that a single cartridge cannot transform the gun into a 26" baton. The Mossberg is cleverly designed in that it has a central open style carrier that is also in the "up" position when the bolt is closed, which prevents the problem from occurring whatsoever; it's Benelli heresy, but if I had to choose a pump action, my 14" M590A Mossberg is pretty sporty. The Benelli carrier is designed in a similar spirit in that it allows for managing misfed cartridges; the design of the carrier mechanism also allows for the ghost-load as a secondary bonus.

Screenshot2013-08-01at51350PM_zps4db6b314.png

Screenshot2013-08-01at51253PM_zps84e63460.jpg

Edited by benelliwerkes