Barrel Length 28 vs 26

theintz

I haven't bought my Benelli yet but I am torn between the 28 or the 26 inch barrel? I duck and pheasant hunt...with an old 12 gage with a 24 inch... 2 3/4 chamber...just not cut out for what I want to do...more made for deer hunting.

Any help would be great...

PS. Looking at getting into turkey hunting if the wife doesn't shoot me 1st!!! smile.gif

look at it this way...barrel length these days is for pace of swing. There is only 7 fps per inch for barrel length so the difference between the 26 and 28 is that the 28 will shoot about 14 fps faster at the muzzle. Big Deal. If you are of small stature then go 26 or if you are taller than average then the 28. Both lengths will shoot the same.

[ 07-21-2006, 12:27 AM: Message edited by: Feltrosport ]

Originally posted by theintz:

I haven't bought my Benelli yet but I am torn between the 28 or the 26 inch barrel? I duck and pheasant hunt...with an old 12 gage with a 24 inch... 2 3/4 chamber...just not cut out for what I want to do...more made for deer hunting.

Any help would be great...

PS. Looking at getting into turkey hunting if the wife doesn't shoot me 1st!!! smile.gif

Wich ever you like best, I have shot all the critters listed above with 26 and 28'' barrels. I would go with the one that points best for you, my SBE has a 28'' barrel and my brother has a 26'' barrel on his. They both shoot about the same, but we each have our own set of prefferences and it is probably the same for you Good Luck

I just bought a new SBE 2 28" barrel a couple of months ago, to replace my Stoeger M2000 26". I feel like I can swing the Stoeger 26" faster, and line up the site faster. I have a tough time lining up the mid site and the end site fast enough to get on the clay before they hit the ground. I might just need more practice, but at this point I like the 26" barrel better.

Remember that the receiver on a SBE is quite long compared to many other pumps and autos. If you stand an SBE with a 26" barrel next to a lot of other guns with a 28" barrel, they are about the same length.

I have a 26" SBE and have never regretted the decision. Also, if you use an after market choke of the extended type, you gain close to an inch in length with it in place.

Originally posted by Remy:

Remember that the receiver on a SBE is quite long compared to many other pumps and autos. If you stand an SBE with a 26" barrel next to a lot of other guns with a 28" barrel, they are about the same length.

SBE II, 28"

Overall length: 49.6"

Weight: 7.3 lbs

---

Xtrema 2, 28":

Overall length: 50.75"

Weight: 7.8 lbs

26":

48.75"

---

Not sure about other shotguns in comparison, but the Beretta was definitely longer. The 26" Beretta felt like the 28" Benelli.

Watching the video is good advice, and then handling a couple at your local sporting goods shop will help.

Also, you can read what was said in these threads in this forum as well: First thread. Second thread. Third thread. I had the same question a while back. ;)

I believe a great deal of how a gun performs is in the barrel and ammo used. A longer barrel means more muzzle veolicty (probably 25 fps per inch more with a shotgun and around 50 with a rifle) and with a shotgun a tighter pattern obviously. Also a longer barrel would cool a tiny bit better and not to mention they have been known to help balance a gun out that has a heavy action. The material a barrel is made out of or lined with makes a big differnece in barrel life too, although that doesn't apply here. Having said that in a more perfect world we would all have shotguns with 32 inch barrels; but it just isn't practical. Personaly I don't feel like 2 inches would make or break a gun's versatility and cause a lot of handling issues but it really is all about personal preference in the end.

Barrel length is all about the "feel" of the gun. A longer barrel does not provide tighter paterns over a shorter one. Velocity loss is between 5 fps to 10 fps per barrel inch up to a 30 barrel.

Any model that has a rotary bolt face will have a longer overall length than a top locking lug design. A barrel length of 26" or 28" would be versatile. Hold the gun you want with both lengths to see which one you like the best.

HELLO SINCE YOUR ASKING ILL PUT IN MY 2 CENTS

I HAVE SHOT ALL KINDS OF SHOTGUNS FROM 30,000 TO 300 DOLLARS THEY ALL DO THE SAME THING, SCATTER SHOT! (1) BARREL LENGTH, THE LONGER THE BARREL, THE BETTER SIGHT PICTURE (BEAD TO BIRD) WILL LOOK AS YOU MOUNT AND SWING THE GUN. THEY ALSO TEND TO BE LESS WHIPPY. (2) IF YOU PLAN ON SHOOTING JUST BIRDS IN THE FIELD I WOULD CHOOSE THE 30. IF YOU ARE USING IT AS A ALL AROUND HUNTING, THE 28 IF IT'S HUNTING IN A BLIND OR STAND 26 AND ANY THING LESS THAN THAT IS PURLY TACTICAL. SEE WHERE THIS IS GOING LONG IS SMOOTH AND SHORT IS FAST THAT IS WHY TACT GUNS HAVE SHORT BARREL FOR QUICK TARGET ACQUSITION AND CONCEALMENT.... BARREL LENGTH WILL NOT HAVE THAT MUCH OF AN EFFECT ON THE PATTERN WITH THE WAY GUNS HAVE DEVELOPED

THATS JUST MY 2 CENTS AND THAT DONT MATTER MUCH, JUST ASK MY WIFE!!