Paging Benelliwerkes -- Shell Stop Mods

StrangerDanger

Benelliwerkes,

I figured you would probably have a bunch of experience with the shell stop of the Benellis. My shell stop has always been pretty stiff to press rounds past. This slows loading/unloading down. I've been doing some research on how to resolve this problem and found there are a few schools of thought;

1. Bend the shell stop approximately where the pin flex cut is ahead of the retaining pin. This reduces the amount of purchase area on the face of the shell stop.

2. Grind the face of the shell stop in the center. This leaves the geometry the same, but leaves a smaller amount of shell contact.

3. Another option is to enlarge the flex cuts so the steel has more flex in it. Supposedly this allows the stop to flex more.

Currently, the shell stop I have is from GG&G, which is a factory modified part. The unit was then coated in Nickel Boron, then surface polished.

Do you have any advice on which method is best to attempt? Perhaps some pictures if you've done it before to get a general idea on how to grinde the stop?

Anyone else can chime in if they have experience in this area too.

Thanks

Edited by StrangerDanger

I treaded into this area this morning carefully. I tried option #3 first, and didn't really notice much of a difference in loading 'feel.' I didn't feel comfortable enlarging the U notches too much. I then tried option #2, and ground down the center of the stop. I gave it a nice sloped ramp leading into the follower. After several fit attempts, I enlarged the ramp to the point where it was noticeably easier to load. The rounds click firmly into place once pressed past the stop.

I expect to see an improvement in speed loading from my California competition loader.

I have a VERY hard time (cussing and swearing hard time) "unloading" shells from the magazine using the method described in the manual (press the cartridge retaining lever...aka "shell stop"...with index finger. You stated that your modification "option 2" made loading noticeably easier, but you didn't say if it also made "unloading" easier? Thanks :)

They advise to use the index finger? I always used my thumb to press the latch to eject the shell. Seems like the thumb would give you a lot more leverage. Place your fingers on the outside of the receiver so you're basically pinching the shell stop lever.

The modification did make it a little easier to eject the shells. It always seems that the last shell in the magazine tube is the most difficult to eject. I'm not opposed to taking off more material in an attempt to make it a little easier. I just don't want to take it too far and ruin the part.

Also, I tried drop testing it on the butt stock to try to cause the shells to eject unintentionally. No issues were encountered so far.

the manual suggests using your index finger, and the associated instructional figure shows an index finger pressing the shell retaining lever. but i've tried thumb, middle finger, multiple fingers, etc., and it's almost impossible to unload shells from my M4. i can usually get a couple shells to unload, but by then i'm sweating, spitting, cussing, swearing, etc. and i finally give up and just unload the remaining shells by cycling them out. i know everybody struggles a bit with this issue, but mine seems 100 times worse. i installed a GG&G tactical bolt release pad (i don't think that would matter). as i recall i noticed the same difficulties unloading shells from the minute i first got the gun.

They advise to use the index finger? I always used my thumb to press the latch to eject the shell. Seems like the thumb would give you a lot more leverage. Place your fingers on the outside of the receiver so you're basically pinching the shell stop lever.

The modification did make it a little easier to eject the shells. It always seems that the last shell in the magazine tube is the most difficult to eject. I'm not opposed to taking off more material in an attempt to make it a little easier. I just don't want to take it too far and ruin the part.

Also, I tried drop testing it on the butt stock to try to cause the shells to eject unintentionally. No issues were encountered so far.

I recall seeing that now. I'm not a fan of it. It's hard to catch the ejecting shell into your hand. I tried it out on mine, I can do it fairly easily. I don't really like it though since the shell racks the top of my index finger.

I like to point the M4 in an upward angle and hold the M4 with my strong hand on the pistol grip. Then use my support hand thumb to press against the shell stop. This pushes the elevator up and out of the way. I can squeeze against the outside of the receiver with my fingers if additional leverage is required. As the shells eject, they land in the palm of my hand.

My M4 must have an issue. Even Ben Strainy would struggle to eject shells :)

thank you for the detailed explanation of the process you use.

I recall seeing that now. I'm not a fan of it. It's hard to catch the ejecting shell into your hand. I tried it out on mine, I can do it fairly easily. I don't really like it though since the shell racks the top of my index finger.

I like to point the M4 in an upward angle and hold the M4 with my strong hand on the pistol grip. Then use my support hand thumb to press against the shell stop. This pushes the elevator up and out of the way. I can squeeze against the outside of the receiver with my fingers if additional leverage is required. As the shells eject, they land in the palm of my hand.

Benelliwerkes,

I figured you would probably have a bunch of experience with the shell stop of the Benellis. My shell stop has always been pretty stiff to press rounds past.......

My Benelli cartridge stops have always been stiff.

I don't have a solution to your question, although I have deliberated on it quite a bit; some two cent thoughts on the topic follow.

I know it is often recommended that the "correct way" to unload a shotgun is to not cycle the cartridge thru the chamber to eject it. However, I use my fingers for a living and have not found a single shotgun with a cartridge stop that is easy to depress to remove cartridges from the magazine, so I usually cycle them thru the chamber; if all the usual gun safety rules are followed, there is no safety reason not to. I don't buy into the opinion of less wear and tear on the internal mechanism(s) as a reason to insert one's finger into fairly a tight space with sharp edged parts under high spring tension, especially in the gauges smaller than 12.

I believe I have seen almost all the various methods for modifying the Benelli cartridge latch, most often in the context to ease the rapid insertion of cartridges, usually for the purpose of lessening time during competition events. I don't know of any that succeed in that goal without weakening the part. The fundamental problem in solving the problem(s) is the simplicity of Benelli design that employs a single part, the carrier latch to have multiple tasks on opposite ends.

Photos by permission: Anatomy Series of Manuals

Screenshot2013-08-31at74149AM_zpsd64f8539.png

Screenshot2013-08-31at41441PM_zps4982634d.png

Edited by benelliwerkes

Above you mention cutting a relief in the carrier...as opposed to the carrier latch as an alternative to what SD has done. Can you go into more detail about this method?

this is for Roofless.......everyone else close your eyes and move on.

.......this rare modification is to allow one to use the cartridge control latch to move the forward end of the carrier latch inward when the carrier is in the upward position (something that is not allowed in the standard configuration; essentially disabling the cartridge stop feature of the latch, to release the cartridges from the magazine rather than depressing that part of the carrier latch to remove the cartridge(s). It is not for the faint of heart, or the untalented with the expectation that most will probably wreck their carrier the first time they attempt it...it is a precision modification, requiring leaving enough material to not interfere with the structural integrity of the right side of the carrier while still providing relief for the latch to move as desired. The area that needs to be relieved on the carrier is shown in the photo below

Screenshot2013-09-02at60346PM_zps7865bcda.png

Edited by benelliwerkes