Benelli M4 -- Complete Trigger Group Assembly Guide

StrangerDanger

h42r1or.jpg

This shows how the Rear Trigger Pin and the Trigger fit together.

NuuSJrj.jpg

Here we are inserting the Trigger Assembly into the Trigger Guard. Note that you must rock the Trigger Assembly into place. Engage the Rear Trigger Pin in the square notch of the Trigger, and rotate the Trigger Assembly into the Trigger Guard. Be careful not to dislodge the Trigger Spring.

Edited by StrangerDanger
  • Upvote 1

aHj1sMG.jpg

A 3/32" punch was inserted thru the Front Trigger Pin hole to align the Trigger Assembly with the Trigger Guard.

iggKXCO.jpg

Insert the Front Trigger Pin into the opposite side of the Trigger Guard as your 3/32" alignment punch. Press the alignment punch out with the Trigger Pin.

Edited by StrangerDanger

jfWEjLc.jpg

Here the Carrier Spring and the Carrier Plunger are installed. Pay attention to the highlighted spring stop. This must be next to the Breech Latch, or the Trigger Group will not function. The Carrier Plunger & Spring are simply held in place by the Carrier. If you allow the Trigger Group to move around too much, it will simply fall out.

jSMUNjS.jpg

Here is the Hammer Spring and Hammer Spring Cap assembled. The Cap simply fits over the top of the spring.

Edited by StrangerDanger

5EHgq5c.jpg

Insert the Trigger Pin Bushing from the right side into the Shell Release Lever, Carrier, Trigger Guard, Hammer, Trigger Guard and Carrier. It will take some time to align everything without the Breech Latch falling out. Expect some cussing here. You can try using an alignment pin from the opposite side if needed.

YC1pdZV.jpg

The Trigger Pin Bushing will not press all the way in yet because the Shell Release Lever hasn’t been seated onto the top of the Hammer Spring Cap yet.

Edited by StrangerDanger

rNxTr8M.jpg

This picture has an arrow to the Shell Release Lever’s hook that must be engaged on top of the Hammer Spring Cap.

GIUAkGU.jpg

Begin cocking the Hammer with your thumb until the Hammer Spring Cap is compressed enough for the Shell Release Lever to hook over the top of the Hammer Spring Cap. Once this happens, press the Trigger Pin Bushing the rest of the way into the Trigger Guard.

Edited by StrangerDanger

W7I9i7t.jpg

At this point the Trigger Assembly has been fully reassembled. Any time you mess with the Trigger pack, I highly recommend you perform the following safety tests at least three times;

Make sure the weapon is unloaded. Ensure the Hammer is cocked.

1. Place the weapon on Safe, pull the trigger, the Hammer should not fall.
  2. Place the weapon on Fire, pull the trigger, the Hammer should fall.
  3. Place the weapon on Fire, pull the trigger and hold the trigger to the rear. The Hammer should fall. With your finger still holding the trigger to the rear, rack the bolt to re-cock the hammer. Slowly let your finger off of the trigger. There should be an audible click noise. This is the Hammer disconnecting from the disconnector sear and engaging the trigger sear.

I recommend doing this with the trigger pack removed as well. Never allow the Hammer to fall without your thumb controlling its descent. You should be mentally aware of how the disconnector and trigger sears are engaged by the hammer sears.

You may find this parts diagram useful;

ben-M4.gif

Edited by StrangerDanger

Ljb1Smh.jpg

Gesselle Hammer, Freedom Fighter Tactical Hammer & OEM Benelli Hammer Compared.

U2mNioL.jpg

Here is a basic guide for greasing your sear contact points in your Trigger Pack. A small amount of grease in these locations will help keep your trigger feeling great. I am partial to Brian Enos' Slide Glide.

Edited by StrangerDanger

080_zps6a5f59a8.jpg

Insert the Trigger Pin Bushing from the right side into the Shell Release Lever, Carrier, Trigger Guard, Hammer, Trigger Guard and Carrier. It will take some time to align everything without the Breech Latch falling out. Expect some cussing here. You can try using an alignment pin from the opposite side if needed.

Nice photos SD.......if you are going to be doing these type of trigger group assemblies more than 1-2 times, taking the time to fabricate a brass precision slave pin, rather than a typical alignment pin is worthwhile.......allowing all the sub-assemblies to be composed, then drop the carrier into position and slowly displace the slave pin with the trigger bushing (which cannot be done with a standard alignment pin in place)..... usually no more cussing necessary ! Not surprisingly, the Franchi and Benelli trigger groups have many similarities, an example below.

Photos by permission: Franchi SPAS 12 Trigger Groups Anatomy Series Manual

Screenshot2013-09-01at111654AM_zps57c7b7e0.png

Edited by benelliwerkes

Thanks guys. It ended up being a lot more work than expected. Tearing down and reassembling only took about 30 - 40 minutes even when taking pictures. Processing the photos was slow. Then dealing with Photosuckit issues really slowed things down. Part of this is the Benelliforums fault. It seems Photosuckit randomly uses P-S-2 and P-S-3 (without the dashes) in the URL. Benelliforum bans those words from being used here for some reason...

So I had to delete and re-upload the images until those acronyms were no longer present.

The brass slave pin would help holding the hammer in place. I've gotten pretty good at reassembly. It usually only takes me about 5 seconds to shuffle all the parts to align. Besides, my father is holding my SouthBend lathe hostage.

• 3 months later...

Wow! World class work, SD. Although I have not worked on an M4 previously, using your guide, I am mostly confident that I can do this. However, just in case, I have ordered a new stock trigger group to "learn" on. Wondering if trigger group assemblies are interchangeable without fitting? If so, I will build up the one I have ordered with the 922® parts and swap it into the gun for the original trigger group.