Replacing the recoil link on a used benelli m4. Need help

Maynard

Yep, it's that simple. The real question is; why do you need to replace it? I've never seen one break. Just curious. I've seen the older-style cast metal links break on SBE's when shooting 3/3.5 inch shells but they redesigned the link to the current style found on the M4.

Edited by truckcop

I will post a pic of my recoil link tomorrow it almost looks like it was welded together or rusted. The gun has performed flawlessly, but the link just doesn't look right. Maybe you can shed some light on it. I thought I had a picture of my phone but I guess I deleted it.

It looks weird and this big welding can flake off by time and damage the weapon, I think. My link is flawless and has no trace of welding between.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. The gun has been flawless through about 200 rounds of birdshot and probably 50 rounds of buckshot and slugs. The new link I ordered should be here tomorrow.

Seen the same thing in SBEII's with thousands of rounds of stuff heavier than that shot through them with one's that look like that and no problems. Never seen it an issue after being through thousands of Benelli's. If you want to change it, go ahead, it's you're gun. Just make sure you restake the bolt body after doing that or the link will drift out and destroy the bolt rails in the receiver...then you'll have real problems.

Seen the same thing in SBEII's with thousands of rounds of stuff heavier than that shot through them with one's that look like that and no problems. Never seen it an issue after being through thousands of Benelli's. If you want to change it, go ahead, it's you're gun. Just make sure you restake the bolt body after doing that or the link will drift out and destroy the bolt rails in the receiver...then you'll have real problems.

This gun was used when I bought it, but it was only owned for about 6 months. What do you mean by Restake the bolt body? I'm new to the m4 so maybe I should not mess with it if it's not broken and just hang on to the new part in case I ever need it.

My new link came in the mail today. I think I'm going to put it on. I just don't like having a rusted part in my gun. I bought this gun used but every other part looks immaculate. The guy never shot the gun much. I don't know how the link got like that, but the new one is flawless.

The pin is staked in place. Once replaced, I'd recommend staking the carrier to prevent the pin from walking out. I know a guy who took his out and never restaked it. It has not come out on its own.

Another option is to have it refinished. I had mine coated in Nickel Boron with excellent results.

Thanks Stranger for all the help. I think I have it staked in place pretty good. I test fired with 8 rounds of cheap birdshot before work and she ran like a champ. I'm going to keep an eye on the pin though especially in my defensive shotgun class coming up.

This gun was used when I bought it, but it was only owned for about 6 months. What do you mean by Restake the bolt body? I'm new to the m4 so maybe I should not mess with it if it's not broken and just hang on to the new part in case I ever need it.

Be sure to correctly re-stake things or you will have more functional issues than the cosmetic one you started with.