Benelli M2 Tactical spring went flying

qwerty53

Hi,

My mag spring went flying with all the parts. I wish benelli provided a picture of all parts.

What I have is little round plate with leap. The big spring,

a metal pole with sorta cap in the middle and T at the end. IS that all?

I assembled it this way. Put the pole inside the spring which balk into the cap in the middle of the pole. Then I pushed all of it into the tube. Then I finished with the circle with the leap up. The circle I needed to play with to fit but now it sits in. I do not have end screw cap so the hole thing is held by the circle...

Is this all right?

Thanks.

No, it isn't all right. Is this a new gun or did you buy it used? If the magazine spring is only held in place by the "circle" or "little round plate with a leap" (lip??), then you're missing the plug that should go into the end of the magazine extension. The spring should NOT come out of the magazine without unscrewing the magazine extension. and is held in place in the front by the plug. It looks like a small "cup" with a hole in it. The "metal pole with sorta cap in the middle and T at the end" sounds like your round limiter. You don't need that unless you're hunting game that requires a two-round magazine limit. The little round plate is designed to hold the limiter in place at the end of the magazine tube.

I went to the range today. Couldn't get more than 2 shells in when the metal pole was installed...

HELP!!!!

As I noted above, that's a limiter for hunting purposes. As you found out, it limits the magazine to 2 shells, allowing only 3 total in the gun when you add one in the chamber. You don't need the limiter if you're not hunting game that has a capacity limit such as migratory birds, i.e., ducks. Take it out and you'll be able to fully load the magazine. The only parts within the magazine that are needed for the operation of the gun is the plug in the forward position, the follower in the rear position, and the spring in between the two.

Edited by truckcop

This almost makes me want to go buy an M2 just to see how confusing it isn't.

I went to the range today. Couldn't get more than 2 shells in when the metal pole was installed...

HELP!!!!

No surprise. There is a factory installed limiter kit and you have reinstalled it, albeit in a slightly wrong manner. As truckcop said in the first reply to your op, that "metal pole" is a shell limiter.

There are two retainers present. The first is the "limiter retaining ring" which you called a "little round plate with a leap". The second is the "spring retainer" which looks like a small cup with a hole in the middle. The design of the limiter retaining ring allows you to install or remove the mag limiter without removing the extension tube or the mag spring. The second retainer, the spring retainer, can be used either by itself or with the limiter retaining ring if no limiter is present.

There are several methods of assembly for the magazine tube based on limiter use or not, how you want to store the limiter retaining ring, and how much "extra" support you want the spring to have. You need to decide which method is appropriate and safe for your use. You can lose an eye, or worse, messing with a mag spring. Your mileage may vary. No warranty expressed or implied. No one posting here including myself and Benelli (both US and IT), no one reading this other than yourself, no one thinking about this, and no one else in the world other than you yourself take any responsibility for what you do with any of the instructions posted. All other pertinent and non-pertinent disclaimers, both legal and non-legal, included here. There are several ways you can assemble the magazine on the M2. It isn't rocket surgery. But to keep it very simple and to follow the instructions in the M2 manual (yes they are there)...

WITH LIMITER

• Make sure your follower and spring are installed in the magazine.
  • Place the spring retainer (the "cup with a hole in it") onto the "loose end" of the spring hanging out of the magazine with the open end of the cup facing the spring.
  • Put the magazine extension over the spring retainer
  • Carefully compress the spring into the magazine remembering you can lose an eye, or worse.
  • Put the extension on the magazine.
  • Put the limiter rod through the hole in the "cup"
  • Place the limiter retaining ring onto the limiter with the lip facing outward.
  • Keeping the ring and limiter positioned at a slight angle, push the limiter into the magazine tube, ensuring the retaining ring enters properly. The slight angle will allow the ring to slip into the magazine entirely even though it is wider than the tube bore
  • Reduce finger pressure until the limiter is tight against the tube spigot.
  • Go hunting or whatever else you may be doing with your shell limiter enhanced tactical M2
  • If you wish to remove the limiter, see pages 128-132 of your M2 manual.

WITHOUT LIMITER:

There are two methods both of which entail storing the "metal pole" shell limiter in a storage container away from the weapon. The methods are then separated by where you want to store the limiter retaining ring and how much "extra" support you want the compressed spring to have on the "open" end of the magazine extension, etc. You do not need the limiter retaining ring unless you are using the limiter, however, you can still use it. You must decide which method is appropriate for your use and safety. You can lose an eye with a magazine spring. All disclaimers in the world inserted here.

Method 1

• Shell limiter "metal pole" is stored somewhere away from the weapon.
  • Place the spring retainer (the "cup with a hole in it") onto the "loose end" of the spring hanging out of the magazine with the open end of the cup facing the spring.
  • Carefully compress the spring into the magazine remembering you can lose an eye, or worse.
  • Keeping the limiter retaining ring positioned at a slight angle, push the retaining ring into the magazine tube, ensuring the retaining ring enters properly.
  • Reduce finger pressure until the limiter retaining ring is tight against the tube spigot.
  • Go do whatever you may be doing with your non-shell limiter enhanced tactical M2

Method 2

• Shell limiter "metal pole" is stored somewhere away from the weapon.
  • The limiter retaining ring is stored somewhere away from the weapon, preferably with the shell limiter.
  • Go do whatever you may be doing with your non-shell limiter enhanced tactical M2

Oh, BTW, the way you assembled the bits in your posted picture will work (with the limited number of shells) but both defeats the purpose of the magazine extension (unless as truckcop posted you are hunting migratory birds or are under some other restriction on shell number) AND Benelli's design of being able to quickly remove the limiter without removal of the extension and spring.

Think "simply remove/replace the retaining ring and limiter, leaving everything else in the weapon" - that is how Benelli designed it. Genius when you think about it.

Imagine you're out hunting mutant gophers with the game warden using your M2 without the limiter, as one would expect... oops, you suddenly need to shoot some rabid ducks but you're standing with the game warden... crap, what do you do?... then you suddenly remember you bought a Benelli M2... 5 seconds later your limiter is in and BLAM BLAM. Two body shots, because of course you don't want to spray rabies infected brains and spit all over the place with a head shot. You and the warden are safe and he's not p*ssed that you were over your two shell limit - proven by the limiter. You toss the rabid ducks in the toxic waste pool you are standing near, only because the warden is smart enough to stop you from taking the rabid ducks home to eat. Then 5 seconds later the limiter is out and you're going after the mutant gophers again. Suddenly the toxic avenger ducks rise from the mire and begin to approach... 5 seconds later the limiter is back in and BLAM BLAM... two head shots, which are safe now as the toxic sludge destroyed the rabies infecting the brains and saliva of the ducks, and you are safe yet again thanks to the Benelli shell limiter design of the M2.

• 6 years later...

I  know this post is 7 years. I just purchased a new M2 Tactical, model 11052 5+1 magazine. My M2 shotgun did not came with a Spring Retainer. The small cup with a hole in the middle. As pictured above. However, I do have the limiter retainer ring. Based on this post it sounds like I should purchase the missing Spring Retainer cup. It seems too easy for that spring to accidentally pop out without it.  

• 9 months later...