WTB: Surefire M80 Forend

Adame24

I started a wtb m80 thread wks ago

And this isn't it. This is Adame24's WTB thread.

BUMP your own thread so the seller sees it and posts there. It's a d!ck move to scoop in someone else's WTB thread. Bad forum etiquette and bad karma. Plus, haven't you already bought one from Botach...?

May I ask what the various parties here intend to mount to the M80? Or what purposes the M80 will serve for them?

It's obviously a handguard, but beyond that function - what do the folks here intend to use it for?

I had a few in the past. The purpose for me was to mount a weapon light to. The ergonomics of the rail suck compared to the stock forearm. A lot of people are fixed on using a Magpul AFG on the M80. I tried it for a moment and determined I hated it before even firing it. It went against the push/pull firing technique I use.

I have a Surefire M80 and used it for a while. Like StrangerDanger said, the ergos suck. Went back to the factory handguard. Now that having been said, I'm going to hold onto the M80 because it's the only solid railed handguard for the M4 that I've come across. So it'll stay with the gun, even if not on it.

I have a Surefire M80 and used it for a while. Like StrangerDanger said, the ergos suck. Went back to the factory handguard. Now that having been said, I'm going to hold onto the M80 because it's the only solid railed handguard for the M4 that I've come across. So it'll stay with the gun, even if not on it.

Aggie -

What do you want to use the rails for?

Aggie -

What do you want to use the rails for?

If you're asking why I initially got the M80, it was for a flashlight, forward sling mount, dual shell holder, and vert grip. But the dang thing was so heavy just by itself that I only wound up putting a vert grip on it. Even then it was too heavy (the M4 is already a pig by itself). So I removed the M80 and went back to the factory handguards. Don't have a flashlight on it at the moment but could figure something out if I had to.

Like I said, the M80 is just too heavy. Carriercomp needs to come out with a titanium railed handguard or someone needs to make a quality polymer railed handguard.

If you're asking why I initially got the M80, it was for a flashlight, forward sling mount, dual shell holder, and vert grip. But the dang thing was so heavy just by itself that I only wound up putting a vert grip on it. Even then it was too heavy (the M4 is already a pig by itself). So I removed the M80 and went back to the factory handguards. Don't have a flashlight on it at the moment but could figure something out if I had to.

Like I said, the M80 is just too heavy. Carriercomp needs to come out with a titanium railed handguard or someone needs to make a quality polymer railed handguard.

I had one as well. Sold it.

I am curious what utility people are using them for. I am working on something for the M4 to solve almost all of these issues, which is why I am always interested in the specifics of the use of the M80 handguard.

Thanks Aggie

• 2 weeks later...

I am curious why there is such a big rush for the M80 now? I personally found it to be well made, however if you ever flip the weapon over, or at an angle to load it while its a hot barrel, you burn yourself or can melt gear. I realize youre better served loading with the left paw, but sometimes I use my right (out of habit) and will burn or melt my thumb/glove. At least thats my experience as a novice shotty user. It offers no top protection, which is why I was thinking a KZ Quad may solve that for me. Anyone have experience with both?

Edited by taylaboy

I am curious why there is such a big rush for the M80 now? I personally found it to be well made, however if you ever flip the weapon over, or at an angle to load it while its a hot barrel, you burn yourself or can melt gear. I realize youre better served loading with the left paw, but sometimes I use my right (out of habit) and will burn or melt my thumb/glove. At least thats my experience as a novice shotty user. It offers no top protection, which is why I was thinking a KZ Quad may solve that for me. Anyone have experience with both?

Although I have not used the kz, I have used the surefire.

My objections of weight, bulk, ergonomics and to a lesser extent aesthetics are largely the same.

The m4 feels great with the stock handguard. Not so much IMO with quad rails.

Nor do I like the results of mounted accessories on them. Everything ends sticking out further than I'd like.

yeah, I mainly have it for the vertical grip on the front, but wanted a siderail option for a light if I ever had a hankering. I use an aimpint on the top rail so a quadrail in my opinion would only help me not burn my hand since it covers about 6 inches of hot barrel. Most of the guys on here are jedi's with this system who know better. But any way you look at it, the M4 is a heavy creature. I cant imagine putting anything like mesa on it for quick reload. I would use a bandolier.

I have had both the M80 and the KZ rail. FWIW, I still have the M80. The KZ is *significantly* heavier than the M80 and the bottom rail makes it a real pain - literally - to hang on to, unless you mount an AFG or vertical grip to it. On the upside, the KZ is *very* solidly mounted and replaces the factory top rail with its own which is made per 1913 specs, unlike the factory rail.

Just my .02...

Does the KZ have the round carrier built in as a standard? Is that what makes it heavier? or can you just slap the forward portion on by itself and avoid the extra weight? Looks like the top rail is mandatory for a proper mounting too? The surefire comes off pretty quickly and easily.