Bolt rattle

06-530rr

So yesterday after shooting some skeet I was putting my m2 in the truck and heard it rattling. It's never done it before so I started searching and reading. Most said it was normal. But that's hogwash because it just started doing it. I found one little post that mentions pulling the bolt apart and applying a tad of grease to the spring. Sure enough it went away. So I wanted to make a thread in case anyone else had the same problem.

As I suspected. That rattle IS normal. When the bolt assembly is in battery, the locking head is pushed backwards against the inertia spring within the bolt leaving it no room to move around. When the assembly is out of battery and the locking head is forward, the inertia spring is just sitting in there and can move around freely, causing it to "rattle". Take the bolt assembly out and shake it back and forth with the locking head held forward and you'll hear it. Then press the locking head back into the bolt as it would be when in battery and do the same thing. No rattle. Yes, you can grease it up and mitigate that somewhat but it is, by no means, a problem. It's just the design of the inertia system.