Need Help! Vinci from gunbroker.

mtstream

I bought what was described as a NIB Vinci on Gunbroker. I received it today and was planning to take it on a trip tomorrow BUT the gun shows some wear. I don't want to wrongly accuse someone if the wear could be explained by a gun that was on the shelf (people opening and closing the bolt) and then a bad cleaning job before shipping. Please give me your opinions if you have some experience with Vinci - this is my first one. I'm having trouble uploading the photos so I'm going to post this and try to add them to another post.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=366681765

Sellers website http://www.lgsny.com/

LiVencchi's Gun Sales

North Collins, NY

Edited by mtstream
Added link as requested

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2307[/ATTACH]

Bolt wear with something on edge of pin - maybe old grease?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2308[/ATTACH]

Receiver wear

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2309[/ATTACH]

Small flakes keep showing up - they remind me of chips that come off an old Teflon pan

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2310[/ATTACH]

Dirt on follower

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2312[/ATTACH]

Fell out of bolt group - looks like a piece of hay or grass

Edited by mtstream
adding more pictures

We'll split this into two parts: whether the guns been fired, and the handling/storage marks.

The exterior marks could have come from handling. However; they are excessive and should have been disclosed prior to sale.

Most (all?) firearms are test fired before leaving the factory and oftentimes are not cleaned afterward. Therefore new guns have been fired and may very well be dirty. However your gun shows more wear (at the bolt) and filth (choke tube) than would have occurred from cursory factory test firing.

We want the link to the Auction! Who's the culprit?

There is also grease in the barrel and receiver and on the screw sides of he choke. My M4 is the only other Benelli I've bought and I don't remember putting my finger in the barrel and getting grease or finding it on the choke tube but it's been years. I've e-mailed them for an explanation.

I will post the link to the auction and their shop's web site. But I don't want to post something connected to them before I get my money back first (selfish I know). Even though a gunbroker auction is a contract, and they contracted to sell a new gun, they're only offering a refund. The auction ended for about $200 less than Gander Mountain sells them for, about $100 more than I've seen used ones go for (albeit rarely have I seen a used one for sale).

He's refusing to pay return shipping.

The rest of the story:

They were extremely slow responding. Took 4 days and 3 attempts by me just to get the total amount to pay them. I overnighted USPS money orders and then didn't hear from them for almost 2 weeks after they received the money. When they did contact me, they said the bank had held up the deposit for a week then they were out of town for a week (could have sent a e-mail anytime during that period). They did then overnight the gun so I could have it before my trip on Friday (arrived on Thur). When I got it home, I discovered the mess that is in the photos.

He stated the gun was purchased for a raffle from a distributor (not sure why the raffle winner doesn't have the gun). It was disassembled and wiped down by him. He is still claiming the gun is new because his distributor wouldn't have given him a used gun. He is refusing to pay return shipping and depending on how you read his e-mail he may not refund the original shipping that I paid.

Because he sat on the USPS Money Orders with no communications for two weeks, I wanted the refund check mailed before shipping back. He's refused to do that also. Technically, I could file mail fraud with the postal service. It would be a royal PIA and I believe I would need to actually prove the gun is not new (I would really need an expert to sign an affidavit giving their opinion - any experts in Dallas?). Knowing if the warranty card had been previously submitted could help. I wasn't able to reach Benelli before they closed today.

It feels like they didn't get what they expected the auction to bring for a new gun so they've pushed all the limits including sending a used gun. If I didn't notice, then they got an extra $100 more than a used gun is worth. If I return it, they're out a little extra on shipping but that's less then they would have lost for selling a new gun at the auction price. That's all speculation but it's really hard to believe that someone who owns a gun shop thought that gun was new.

I'm not surprised by the refusal to pay return shipping. It's not required by them.

If they have history and feedback on gb, then they're worth trusting to refund the money. If not, then your best course may be to keep it and take your lumps.

I'm still not seeing a link to the auction or to the seller's profile. Either would be helpful.

Wow what a nightmare!!! Hope it works out for ya!!! Just looked at the link to GB and they one catalog pic and thats it. Did have a F and a C in feedback but the rest were good. I'm thinking like you and agree that they didn't get what they wanted for a new one and threw that one in. I'd be cool with them till i got my money back then i would post a F rating with GB. I have been shooting my M-2 for a few weeks now and have been through corn fields and thick woods and it still looks like i just took the plastic off it. That gun looks like it went to mexico and has had a few thousand rounds put through it on a dove hunt.

Edited by GoetzTalon

It's ultimately your call.

If you REALLY wanted a brand new Vinci, then you'll want to send it back for a refund. You'll likely have to eat the shipping, but I'd still approach them from the angle of, "you simply did not sell me what you advertised", so why should I be out any money at all?

If you can live with it, ask for a partial refund, based on the gun's condition. Used.

Benelli wouldn't tell me about the warranty registration (said those records were kept elsewhere) but did say two things:

1. The gun was originally sold to a dealer in Missouri in 2009

2. They really don't check the warranty registration for original owner when a gun comes in for repair, provided it doesn't appear abused.

I'm shipping the gun back because it's the shortest path to ending this mess. If they delay returning the money, I'll file the mail fraud with the USPS.

I'm shipping the gun back because it's the shortest path to ending this mess. If they delay returning the money, I'll file the mail fraud with the USPS.

I think that's the best course. Since they are also a brick and mortar gun shop, you shouldn't have a problem with them.

Be sure to take lots of pictures and insure the return shipment, with signature required.

If you used a credit card for payment, you may also have some recourse through them, if they're slow returning your funds.

• 4 weeks later...

Never ending saga - UPS shows the return was received Tue 10/29. They sent an e-mail on Wed saying the refund would be mailed that day or the next.

That same Wed. I bought a new Vinci on Gunbroker from an out of state dealer. That transaction is completed and I received the gun from my FFL yesterday. But have I received the refund? No, no I have not :mad: I e-mailed them today 11/8 asking when it was mailed and the response was "this week"

They also said "FYI Distributor still standing buy initial report that gun is new, reselling in store as LNIB . . ."

Unbelievable, there's nothing "Like New" about it.

Edited by mtstream