M4 Magazine Tube Spring

Tom-Gun

Hey guys,

I'm using my Benelli M4 (M1014) mostly for 3Gun competition. I've figured out that the spring in magazine tube works a little bit too stiff for me. How can I improve it to make it lighter?, by trimming some coils off?

Thanks.

/Tom

Edited by Tom-Gun

Suggest you leave it alone. Start trimming coils off the magazine spring and you risk affecting feeding reliability when you get down to the last couple of rounds in the tube. Besides, trimming it shorter isn't going to affect the spring's overall "stiffness". It's not a variable rate spring, it's a constant rate.

Edited by truckcop

Define stiff. I imagine your issue is related to the Shell Stop rather than the magazine spring. Do the shells push in easy until the rim of the round pushes into the magazine tube?

I would agree with truckcop, I would not cut the spring unless the spring is preventing a full capacity of rounds from being inserted. A weak spring will not eject the shell onto the shell elevator with authority. This can cause cyclic issues.

Another option would be to source a carriercomp Wolff spring.

Some of us have modified the shell stop to make loading easier. There are a few threads here about it. Polishing the inside of the magazine tube can also aid in smoothness.

Truckcop, SD,

Thanks for your quick replies.

Ok - I'm gonna quickly clarify what I've got and how I'm doin' reloads:

Here's my shell carrier from AP Customs:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-AP-Customs-Q2-8-Shell-Carrier-/221295411336?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item33863c0088

and as an example on this video below you can imagine how I'm trying to do the same feeding with my M4. Of course this guy is using different firearm & shell carrier, without the pistol grip which make loading easier:

When feeding the M4 tube I've struggled to push with my thumb 2x2 shells inside as quick as possible - so my first guess was weakening the spring by trimming some coils off, but now I know it can destroy the spring and cause some malfunctions.

Any ideas how can I modify my M4 for making same quick reloads?

Edited by Tom-Gun

Many competitors have modified the loading port area by relieving and beveling the receiver in a way that allows more thumb on the back of the shells as they're pushed in. The gun in the video has been so modified. Just grab your hacksaw and grinder and have at it. I'm sure there's a YouTube video out there that'll show you just how to do it. :) Or not. As already mentioned, try another spring from Wolff, Nordic Comp, etc.

Carrier Comp sells a great spring for the M4 that has made my 10 shot M4 work like a charm. What spring do you currently have in it?

Perhaps you just have one with thicker wire. The one I have from Carriercomp is made from fairly thin stuff but is long and will pump out even that 8th shell without an issue whereas others were about 50/50.

If I remember correctly, those are pretty thin wire as well but it's been a while since I've even seen one. The good thing with this issue is springs are cheap. I would buy several from different companies and see which one fits your needs the best. It's what I did when I had the extension cap made for mine. All of the others have been gone for a while now and I have a couple of extras of the Carriercomp springs which are with my emergency parts kit for this gun.

It's all a matter of playing with it til you find exactly what fits YOU on this one I believe.

Here is how I addressed my magazine tube. Read thru the following threads;

http://forums.benelliusa.com/showthread.php/32324-Paging-Benelliwerkes-Shell-Stop-Mods?highlight=Shell+stop

http://forums.benelliusa.com/showthread.php/32317-Benelli-M4-Magazine-Tube-Polishing?highlight=Shell+stop

these mods combined with a carriercomp spring have produced a reliable easy loading port. The only way it would be better is if I did a Salient Arms style bevel job on the loading port and weld up the carrier.

Define stiff. I imagine your issue is related to the Shell Stop rather than the magazine spring. Do the shells push in easy until the rim of the round pushes into the magazine tube?

Hi SD,

yes - you were right. It's not the spring stiffness - it's the fault of the GG&G bolt release button with the shell stop included. I've checked carefully/slowly today. The shell stop resists when the shell rim meets the final few milimeters.

I have to grind it a little bit.

• 10 months later...
it's the fault of the GG&G bolt release button with the shell stop included. I've checked carefully/slowly today. The shell stop resists when the shell rim meets the final few milimeters.

I have to grind it a little bit.

Can you elaborate on this some? I'm having problems with the last few rounds not fulling exiting the mag tube onto the carrier. I do have the GG&G oversized bolt release.