SuperNova....How Rugged and RELIABLE Is it for HD Use??

Nala

Hey all,

I am looking to get a pump gun for Home Defense use and maybe some of those gun games in the future. I'd really like to get one and take a good shotgun class first.

What I've been thinking about is the Remington 870 (various versions including customizing on my own,) the Mossberg 590A1 and 500 and lastly the Benelli SuperNova Tactical.

What I am concerned about with the Benelli is how reliable it is and how well it holds up. The 870 is a KNOWN entity. It's been around for over 60 years and there have been MILLIONS of them made and sold. It's pretty legendary how well it performs and stands up to abuse. It also sits in HUGE numbers of Police Cars, if that tells you something.

Parts are also easy to come by if anything happens to go wrong. It is easy to find a spare barrel and if you were to need something it isn't going to break you.

With Benelli, I don't know about these things. How stout and reliable is the Super Nova Tactical? I'm not going to be shooting 3 1/2 shells in it and I probably wouldn't shoot that many 3 inch shells in it either. I do want to know how it holds up with a steady diet of HD loads though.

Then comes the parts availability. Since I have a Benelli M1 already, I kinda know what the prices and availability is like with the parts. The SuperNova parts may be less expensive and readily available, I don't know.

If something breaks in your SuperNova are you going to have to send it in to Benelli to have fixed and then look out for a $250 tab when it gets back home? Is it easily fixed at home given pretty good familiarity with the parts? How expensive are the internal parts on the SN? I know how expensive the barrel is, EXTREMELY EXPENSIVE. I wouldn't anticipate buying one though. Also, how about availability? I've read posts on various forums from people awaiting parts from Benelli and are told that it hasn't came from Italy yet and they can do nothing but wait and wait and wait for sometimes weeks on end. That would never happen with an 870 or probably not even the Mossberg 590 or 500.

So, can you guys that own and use the Super Nova give me a rundown on how well this shotgun stands up to regular use and if there are any "problem" areas that need to be watched for? Please tell the good and the bad. I want to know that it's at least as reliable and dependable as the 870 if I buy one.

Feel free to post pics of your Home Defense setups.

Thanks for your help and time.

Nalajr

Are there better options for "home defense"? Definately.

Are there better options for "home defense" at the MSRP? No.

Overall I like the gun. Here are some pictures, I will write some more about it later.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2314[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]2315[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]2316[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]2317[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]2318[/ATTACH]

I don't have a Nova but will give some thoughts on the 870. I bought an 870 express tactical 7 shot for my wife as my M4 is heavy for her. I added the specops recoil reduction stock (was cheaper to add then buy the model w/ it installed). Everything you said about the 870 is true so I won't repeat. The only add is there are a ton of options avail for 870s also.

1. Deciding it's going to be an 870 only narrows it down to what, 30 models?

2. Most home defense/tactical are 18" barrels. Mine doesn't take chokes, so "gun games" are out. It's only purpose in life is close quarters home defense. Without something like skeet, even if you do training and take it to the range, I wouldn't expect to put thousands of rounds through it. It's fun to shoot but still doesn't have the "cool" factor of my M4 or speed so it's not getting that many rounds.

I took it out last weekend with some Federal Premium LE. It was nice to shoot with the tacops stock. More of a push than a kick - not as soft as the M4 but the gun is not as heavy either. I was pleased.

I don't like the bolt lock. Since it lives in the corner of the walk in closet, I don't like keeping a round in the chamber. That means my wife would need to work the little metal lever to release the bolt to cycle and chamber a round. I don't know what this is like on the Nova but I don't like it on the 870.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2319[/ATTACH]

Edited by mtstream

Here are some Benelli factory barrel options available. Supernova Barrels can be found at under $200 (and we are not speaking of the Carlson's Crap-Barrels) if you look at the right places. For your purposes, I would obtain the Tactical Ghost Ring sights; and not just because they have "tactical" in it.

[TABLE=class: grid, width: 500]

[TR]

[TD]Sights of Barrel

[/TD]

[TD]Choke tubes

[/TD]

[TD]Available Lengths

[/TD]

[TD]Compensator Attachment

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Slug Sights

[/TD]

[TD]No

[/TD]

[TD]18.5 / 20* / 24*

[/TD]

[TD]No

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Rifled Slug

[/TD]

[TD]No

[/TD]

[TD]24

[/TD]

[TD]No

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Tactical Ghost Ring Sights

[/TD]

[TD]No

[/TD]

[TD]18.5 / 14

[/TD]

[TD]Yes

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Ventilated Rib

[/TD]

[TD]Yes

[/TD]

[TD]24 / 26 / 28

[/TD]

[TD]Yes

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]No Sights[/TD]

[TD]No[/TD]

[TD]14*[/TD]

[TD]No[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

*Uncommon in the United States Market.

Edited by Vertigofirearms

When I was waiting for my Supernova to arrive, I had high expectations for its performance after reading about it. I could say I was disappointed after shouldering it and inspecting its features.

I truly loathe the trigger; there is a large amount of creek and uncertainty with the engagement. It is not as bad as the 870, 500, or Maverick 88; but it totally caught me off guard as nobody had mentioned it. After spending some quality bonding time with my Supernova;), I adjusted to the trigger.

The forend is marginally wobbly, just enough to make your ears hear it. The issue is caused by design, and not manufacture. Many folks have reported that their Supernova forend wobbles. No big deal

Reloading shells is a vital feature that your "home-defense" firearm must perform flawlessly, and the Supernova has that covered:cool:. Unlike its semi-auto brethren, the shell lifter stays up until you move the bolt. No more dreaded "Benelli-thumb" here!

The follower is a plastic orange piece, I don't like it because it drags too much. That doesn't mean the follower won't work.

The action was terrible when I racked it, but it slicked up rather quickly.

That button under the forend is neat, but I don't think I'll ever use it.

The overall finish is satisfactory, I can't tell it apart from my M3 or M1 finish. The H2o is even better! Benelli didn't cut corners with the finish at all; however I would love to see more chrome parts.

I would definitely purchase the Supernova as it met all of my important criterias: Finish, Function, Price*, Balanced weight, Ergonomics, Safety location*, and ease of disassembly (500 definately failed this!).

*results may vary

Money is usually the moving factor with HD shotguns. If cash is short, then I would recommend a Mossberg 500 in HD configuration in 20 guage. Remember, you're not shooting bear or deer at 50 yards, it's people at very close range, so a 20 guage with buckshot will do the job and be easy to manage. I have seen many old Mossberg 500's that have not been taken care of and they look aweful with bad wood, poor blueing, rusty, dirty, rattle like an old Chevy pick-up and just fowled up. However, they keep working totally. If you take pride in your weapons and can afford a little better gun, then go with the Remington. If you admire your HD shotgun and plan to keep it well cleaned and not stored in the backyard out-house, then it's a Benelli pump in HD. One quick note, last year I talked a girl friend into getting a 20 guage coach gun with exposed hammers. Easy to use, still quite potent and easy to store safely. Pop 2 shells in, cock the hammers and cut lose. My friend is not a hunter or shooter, she just needed something easy to use "just in case".

personally id go with a supernova tactical with a comfortech stock and ghost rings. I dont think theres a better pump on the market. this is why i say to go with the comfortech stock: Its a lot easier to find pistol grip stocks compared to the comfortech and ive seen the pistol grip stocks go for as low as $50 if you do end up wanting a pistol grip .

I was in your same position 4 years ago trying to decide between the 870, 500 and supernova. after doing the pros and cons the benelli was the clear winner in my book. Largest loading port, smoothest action, most comfortable, lifter stays up(no bite), ez to take apart and overall all the features. Price point wasnt to bad either($420 new out the door). After I went to a retail store where all 3 were and i worked the action the supernova was like butter and the 870 and 500 were to be nice felt like garbage, they were gritty and more effort to work.

I use my supernova tactical for everything HD, range toy, sporting clays and hunting I love it, it really does what ever you want it to

my supernova

I cut the comfortech stock to a 13in lop

custom limbsaver

mesa 6 round carrier

had the factory barrel threaded for chokes and I use colonial arms thin wall extended chokes (over 300 rounds no issues)

fiber optic front sight tritium rear

custom nordic extension (.75in longer to match the choke length)

nordic follower

Benelli got my trigger to 5.5lbs

Edited by gumby510

Gumby that is EXACTLY the model I have been thinking about. That is one awesome shotgun. The only thing is I don't think I'd shorten the stock. I don't mind the side saddle, but I've seen some of those models that I don't know how the slide works they're so long. I wouldn't want to end up with a shotgun that weighed in at 10 pounds because of all the stuff hanging off of it and the things mounted to it. You might think that's funny, but I have seen plenty of pics posted on forums where people are showing off their HD shotguns and they have everything they could manage bolted to their shotgun. I've seen some of them with AR front and rear sights. Just CRAZY.

Why did you go with the extended choke tubes? Do you just like the looks of them or was it because of the walls of the barrel being to thin to use standard choke tubes? I too would like to go with choke tubes, but I didn't know there were a full line of extended tubes like you have. How much did you have to spring for that barrel threading?

Thanks for the info and the pic. If you have other pics that are really good that show off the awesomeness of that SN, I'd like to get a copy of them to save so I can know where I want to go when I get mine.

Everyone else, thanks to you too for the info and the pics. I appreciate the help.

Nalajr

Yes, I went with extended chokes because its a thin wall barrel and if your going to shoot steel or hevi metal it needs to be extended because you don't want to put the stress on the barrel. In total with 1 choke it was $100-110. Ill post who did the work for me later today.

I chopped the stock to fit my body better.

Ill try to get some hq pics of her

I hear what you saying about some people's hd shotguns some do tend to go overboard.

The only other thing id like to do is figure out a clean way to mount a light to the forend, like a tlr1 or something.

Edited by gumby510

Hey,

Yeah that was the only thing, a light, that I thought I MIGHT want to add if I get one like yours.

I think I would go with one of the Streamlight units that are made for handguns. They are plenty bright enough to stun anyone that's caught in the line and you can also get the laser option as well. That would be nearly ideal in a home setting if it had a pressure switch that could be mounted on the slide somewhere that would allow you to activate it without moving your hand of losing control of the weapon. The Surefire unit is the king in that area, but they are expensive and heavy at a little over a pound.

Yours may be one of the coolest looking HD shotguns I have ever seen. Bring on those PICS.....

Thanks for the info and help.

Nalajr

I don't like the bolt lock. That means my wife would need to work the little metal lever to release the bolt to cycle and chamber a round.

I think you're doing it wrong. If the hammer is down the bolt should not be locked.

In the regards to Nova I have to be honest and state that I am not familiar with them. However, I have always felt that shotguns are very simple: Benelli autoloaders and Mossberg pumps (not the other way around). This means no Novas and definitely not any 930s.

I will not turn the Benelli forum into Mossberg-and-870 contest but I will not own an 870 (again) and have my reasons for it. Also the M590A1 is not the uber-Mossberg that people make it out to be; the Heavy Barrel is useless at best.