M2 feeding problem

06-530rr

So I shoot skeet every weekend and got several thousand rounds threw it. Once in a blue moon the second round comes out of the tube and the bolt pinches it before it comes all the way up. I just turn it upside down and pull the bolt and the round is free. Any ideas what might be going on?

Since it's usually the last round in the magazine, assuming you're only loading two for skeet, that may indicate a need for a new mag spring. You could also make sure there's no burr or other similar obstruction on the carrier by giving it a good polishing in the area that the rim of the shell rides along as it's coming back. At the same time, give the mag tube/spring/follower a good cleaning as well.

Will do. Thanks I was sharing my gun with two friends. (Yeah she got a good workout) not a single jam on them. On that round I had about 7. Really weird. I'm thinking its because its not against my shoulder. Will it cycle if you fire from the hip? I'm not positive on how the inertia system works.

The inertia system is what cycles the action but I don't see it having much effect on the complete release of the round from the magazine onto the carrier. Anything's possible I guess. Put two rounds in the magazine, hold the gun level and hit the cartridge drop lever. Look to see where the first shell ends up on the carrier. Cycle that one out then do the same for the last one in the magazine. The magazine spring should push the shell all the way back onto the carrier as far as it did for the first one. I've seen guns with weak magazine springs push the shell all the way out of the magazine but not completely back on the carrier as far as it will go. Your gun may or may not cycle completely if fired from the hip. I've fired all my M1's one handed without having it shouldered during demos. The only time I've had any problems with cycling is when using ultra-lite target loads such as low recoil/low noise AA's. Then again, they don't cycle those reliably even if I have it shouldered properly. Usually the problem is not ejecting fully rather than not feeding.

Tom Knapp (RIP) and Tim Bradley routinely fire their guns from awkward positions, unsupported on the shoulder and I never saw either one's guns malfunction during any part of their shows. They always claim their guns are stock but who really knows?

Edited by truckcop

That's a very good point truckcop. I fully disassembled it and I'm taking it to work. I don't know why I haven't thought of it before but being in aviation we have some serious solid film lubricant. I will coat all the internals. In the mag tube and all! This girl should run slicker than snot on a marble. Haha ill order a new spring anyway. I have been wanting to pick up the xrail full length tube.

• 2 weeks later...

Two suggestions: First clean the mag tube very well. Requires removing the split ring. Use a very good cleaner (like a choke tube cleaner) then lube only very, very sparingly. Second; have you tried different brands of ammo? Saw this problem intermittently with fat or long shells. Seemed to be worse with second shell, as the first is dropped into the carrier. Picture looks like shell carrier has started to lift before shell has cleared magazine.

Couple of quick things I notice from just looking at your picture. You have an oversized bolt handle, it looks like it's dragging on the clearance area in the receiver for the bolt handle (may just be the angle) and you have an aftermarket bolt release. Bolt release could be putting stress on the latch at the wrong time on occasion if you happen to grip it while shooting thereby pinching the shell during cycling. Another thing...if the magazine spring is really strong I would suggest clipping about six inches from it. Too strong of a mag spring can make the shell bounce back forward from the trigger guard causing it to become wedged towards the front. This was not a problem in the M1 style guns because the guards were metal, not plastic, and did not flex or cause bounce.