Don't shoot a M3 too fast

Dan GSR

Several Benelli models have this issue including the M4. I've encountered it when screwing around with relatively weak rounds. Good luck having this issue with some stout buckshot or slugs.

The issue is the hammer is no longer being held cocked by the bolt. As the bolt cycled and recocks the hammer, the hammer hook is engaged by the disconnector. As the bolt begins to reciprocate forward, there is a certain point where the hammer is no longer being held cocked. Once this happens, the hammer will disengage from the disconnector and is set to fire again. There is about 2-3 inches of bolt travel that the hammer will fall. It is roughly when the shell elevator is pushed back down by the bolt.

The hammer travels much faster than the reciprocating bolt/carrier. The hammer will hit the firing pin as the bolt is still moving forward into battery. Since the bolt hasn't rotated and locked into the barrel lugs, there is no chance of an out of battery detonation. You just end up with your thumb up your ass with a live round in battery and the hammer down.

What at can be done about it?

increasing the cyclic rate of the weapon will reduce the chances of this occurring. This can be achieved by using lightened parts, spring maintenance, quality lubricants, proper cleaning and higher dram shells. Low recoil loads cycle sluggishly and exasperate the chances of this occurring.

Tactically speaking, you shouldn't be doing mag tube dumps on a target. You have limited ammunition with a 12 gauge. Conserve it. Double tapping someone with a 12 gauge should be more than enough to deal with the problem. The only time I could see value in a tube dump in the field is if you are dealing with something like a bear or a hungry hungry hippo. Anything else is generally left to 3 gun crap.

Agreed. Ideally, you should avoid firing all your rounds in the tube. If you're not shooting, you should be loading to remain topped off.

You don't have to be doing mag dumps to encounter this type of failure. You could be doing double taps and cause the malfunction. These kind of issues rarely occur when using full power loads anyway.

"Tactically speaking, you shouldn't be doing mag tube dumps on a target. You have limited ammunition with a 12 gauge. Conserve it. Double tapping someone with a 12 gauge should be more than enough to deal with the problem. The only time I could see value in a tube dump in the field is if you are dealing with something like a bear or a hungry hungry hippo. Anything else is generally left to 3 gun crap."

Agreed.I have several benellis and cant pull the trigger fast enough to ever create a problem.Maybe I'm just too old?!