New Product Announcement - Benelli M4 Mount from AVATactical.com - Discount Available

AVATactical.com

Have you considered going to SHOT and getting a cheap booth this year? The exposure might be what you need to get peoples hands and eyes on the product.

Might consider that just to get to Shot again, but it's a pretty small market. Anyone can buy a gun. Anyone with a rail can buy a rail accessory, etc. Only those with a M4 can buy this, and only a small portion will. You know the drill.

What I am spending 80% of my effort on at this point is getting it in a major catalog. Keeping my fingers crossed on that. Have first choice looking at it now, then will look at others if that falls through.

I think most lights that failed in the past are all filament based bulbs. They cannot handle the abuse. Even the lights that came previous to the led, (forget name of bulb type), similar to like the bulbs in Maglites, etc.., were not as strong to handle constant abuse.... But LEDs are rigid and have no filaments and are tiny these days. Unless something actually cracks like a control board / circuit board or solder connection, I don't suspect failure. IMHO of course.. :)

I received my mount and now I am torn trying to decide what light to buy. I am worried that a small Surefire designed for hand use will fail after 12 gauge abuse.

I am thinking of the x300 so I can take it off when not needed. I want to keep the sling mount on the left side.

Decisions, decisions.

Hey Now. That's awesome.

I have touched base with a number of blogs, made arrangements with demo units, etc. I know of a few upcoming blurbs, articles, etc, but it seems to be slow going. I haven't spoken with anyone from Solider Systems to my knowledge.

Very glad to see it. Thanks Solider Systems and thank you to anyone who may have brought to their attention.

Your Product looks great. I will be ordering one next week when my AMX rolles over. Are you giving forum member discounts? Also, you might want to look into DOD contracting. http://www.defense.gov/landing/contract_resources.aspx There are plenty of 1014's in service.

Thank You. I am working to gauge interest in that area as well. For the forum discount, I did offer a discount on the first twenty units sold to forum members, but I had to limit the quantity as it put me under water. I wish I could extend that to everyone but it's just not possible to do so.

Yeah, the first year is always the toughest when introducing a new product. R&D and setup costs take volume sales to offset.

I ordered the one inch unit from you the other day. USPS tracking has it out for delivery this morning. I will be mounting the new Surefire P3X furry 1000 lumen tactical light. I will post some photos tonight when I have some free time.

AVATactical...truly great product and obviously you're someone who uses sound skills to find solutions. Let me pose another challenge from the Benelli M4 community....not to get to far off-track but a light weight, low profile, field strip-able, heat shield. Something that would allow for a modern grip technique thus facilitating better quick acquisition shooting. Obviously you have a lot going on now but just wanted to put something in the back of your mind : )

IMHO a heat shield would sell very few units. The light mount has been a persistent problem for over a decade for thousands of users. As far as I can recall, you're the first one to ever even mention a heat shield. In a gunfight with an M4 it is extremely unlikely any user anywhere will get through more than 18 rounds of buck/slugs. Again just IMHO, it is a solution looking for a problem.

I think a high-end C-stock replacement, with a vastly better cheek weld & integrated storage & QD fittings & integrated limbsaver may be viable IF the vendor could secure a large LE or USMC contract.

• 2 weeks later...

Happy New Year!

Question for those that may be running the 6PX, P2X, P3X or similar. Of importance is if you are running a flashlight which is not cross hatch finished, such as those mentioned, it will only contact the mount with slick untextured aluminium.

If this applies to a configuration you have, have you had any issues with the light moving during recoil?

PM me if you are running such a light, or reply here.

Thank You

Joel @ AVA

Happy New Year!

Question for those that may be running the 6PX, P2X, P3X or similar. Of importance is if you are running a flashlight which is not cross hatch finished, such as those mentioned, it will only contact the mount with slick untextured aluminium.

If this applies to a configuration you have, have you had any issues with the light moving during recoil?

PM me if you are running such a light, or reply here.

Thank You

Joel @ AVA

Hi Joel,

I've encountered this exact issue. I have two mounts, both with SF 6PX Tactical lights. Upon breaking in my M4's, I noticed that both of the lights quickly worked their way forward and necessitated me removing them so they didn't fall off. I was thinking that I could use some grippy tape to secure them, by wrapping the rear of the light a little and then re-securing it. But if you have another option I'd be interested.

Also.... I was thinking about how I'd like to have the left side (the one with the qd sling mount) to be more like the right, as an option. This would allow the mounting of an X series weaponlight or something similar on the left side. It would also potentially allow the sling to be mounted 90 degrees from the barrel as a result of having a little more room to play with, which would be more comfortable for some people. Perhaps as an optional left side assembly sold separately? Just a thought.

Many thanks,

P.

After all the favorable propaganda on this forum re the AVA mount, I am giving this further consideration. ;) However, my intent would be to use it for the QD and the rail (for an X400 Ultra). In looking at the photos here and on the AVA website, it appears that is may not be possible to install this with the QD fitting and the rail on the same (left) side. For a right handed shooter, the QD would usually be on the left side. This means the rail and X400 would have to be on the right side if I understand this product correctly. This could work depending on the ergonomics of operating the X400 controls with the fingers of the left hand, but my experimenting so seems to indicate that operating the X400 controls with the left thumb (light on left side) may work better. Is the rail rigid enough to hold zero on the laser? Any guidance on this issue?

Also, if not using a round flashlight, I assume no need to install the retaining ring for the flashlight (but maybe the screws for aesthetic reasons)? (In case you are wondering why the X400, I am trying to standardize on this across all firearms with a mounted light to avoid having to use a different technique for each different setup.)

Edited by NHnewbie

I've encountered this exact issue. I have two mounts, both with SF 6PX Tactical lights. Upon breaking in my M4's, I noticed that both of the lights quickly worked their way forward and necessitated me removing them so they didn't fall off. I was thinking that I could use some grippy tape to secure them, by wrapping the rear of the light a little and then re-securing it. But if you have another option I'd be interested.

What type of loctite did you use and how many inch/pounds did you torque the screws to? I am hopeing to get mine out this weekend, and have installed my P2X with red (medium) loctite and torqued the screws to 25 inch/pounds.

Edited by 00stormbringer

Has anyone test fit a X400 to the picatinny rail to make sure it has clearance?

What I would do is mount the X400 Ultra on the right side of the weapon, then get the Surefire XT07 tail cap. Then get rid of the SR-07 switch since you don't have a pictatinny rail to attach to, and get a ST-XX switch. You can get different lengths depending on what you think you'd need.

I'd buy a set of FFT handguards, cut a notch in the right side handguard to route the wire inside. Then cut a notch into the right side handguard for the pressure switch to lay flush.

I'd consider modifying the Surefire X400 Ultra so that the selector switch was bobbed off. That switch gets hit easily. During firearms training courses, my X400 would sometimes get knocked to either light only or laser only upon holster presentation. I wasn't real happy about it, and ended up just moving to a X300 Ultra.

This overall would be a pretty ideal setup. Having the light on the right side is ideal for a right handed person. You'd have momentary control over the output, and you wouldn't have the issue of running your thumb against a switch and risk jamming it during recoil.

I've modified handguards in the past and would be glad to assist in any way I could help.

XT07_xlarge_24556.png

ST-xx_45L_xlarge_24620.png

Has anyone test fit a X400 to the picatinny rail to make sure it has clearance?

I've modified handguards in the past and would be glad to assist in any way I could help.

Thanks for your advice and offer of assistance. Lots of useful input! I I have the FFT hand guards and will take a look at modifying them as you suggest. While I am pretty good with tools, I am also afflicted with OCD and couldn't live with a mod that didn't look "factory" quality. Installing the switch in the hand guard probably works best using a mill, which I dont currently have access to, but I'll find one if this is the way to go. Once I get all the parts collected I'll dive into this. Still waiting for the Carrier Comp mag tube with no visibility on delivery date.

EDIT: If there is insufficient clearance on the rail for the X400, perhaps a 1/2 in riser or other "offset" mount could be added to provide clearance. Not ideal but maybe workable.

Edited by NHnewbie

Thanks for your advice and offer of assistance. Lots of useful input! I I have the FFT hand guards and will take a look at modifying them as you suggest. While I am pretty good with tools, I am also afflicted with OCD and couldn't live with a mod that didn't look "factory" quality. Installing the switch in the hand guard probably works best using a mill, which I dont currently have access to, but I'll find one if this is the way to go. Once I get all the parts collected I'll dive into this. Still waiting for the Carrier Comp mag tube with no visibility on delivery date.

EDIT: If there is insufficient clearance on the rail for the X400, perhaps a 1/2 in riser or other "offset" mount could be added to provide clearance. Not ideal but maybe workable.

I will take a closer look at the data, but I know BenelliWerkes test fitted a few of the X series lights and some did not have clearance. Others did. Let me see what we can come up with on that. A riser could work, and I'd be glad to accommodate a test fit if you are unsure as I don't know how it would look either once fully mounted.

For the light clamp, you don't have to install it but it won't look complete without it. I considered making a cover that would smooth out the look and allow one to use it without a round light clamped in, but those parts are not cheap to have made and this would be the first request for it - not unanticipated though. I can take some pictures of the mount without the cover, give me a bit to do so.

The mount is ambidextrous in that you can put the rail on either side, but your QD and rail are always on opposite sides.

Lastly, I have a set of FFT guards I "milled" a pocket into and have a flush switch installed in. A drill press and a milling vice is all I used.

Hi Joel,

Also.... I was thinking about how I'd like to have the left side (the one with the qd sling mount) to be more like the right, as an option. This would allow the mounting of an X series weaponlight or something similar on the left side. It would also potentially allow the sling to be mounted 90 degrees from the barrel as a result of having a little more room to play with, which would be more comfortable for some people. Perhaps as an optional left side assembly sold separately? Just a thought.

Many thanks,

P.

Peshawar - Help me understand the left / right idea better. Are you asking for a QD on both sides? The mount can be mounted with the QD on either side now, but the railed side is always without a QD as it is now. Ideally, I'd like to make the railed side with keymod top and bottom so you can add rail or QD. It's not wide enough to accommodate two keymod slots though as I am bound by the geometry of the barrel hanger. There are some ways to design around this but if these come about it will a enhancement in the future.

Peshawar / Stormbringer -

For the issue when we have slick lights I have a few ideas I need to try. If either of you are interesting in testing, I can supply materials, mounts, etc. Please email me.

1) Surface Interference - Electric tape, Duct Tape, just on the backside of the mount where you cannot see it may be enough. The Clamping Force is there, it's just the slick surfaces that are sliding past each other. Section of innertube or a O ring in either of the groves of the tailcap in this series of lights may also work.

2) I can manually hatch a mount / clamp to test with. If you are willing to test, email me and we can discuss.

Joel @ AVA

EDIT:

One thing to test is an O-Ring in one of these grooves then secured under the the clamp. Or you can either wrap the entire tail-cap in shrink wrap or innertube. For aesthetic reasons you may try to just put innertube on the backside and that may be more than enough.

Tu4xsVZ.png

Edited by AVATactical.com

The handguards are surprisingly easy to modify even with hand tools. It always looks like crap at first, but it is easy to conceal your mistakes. If the wire is long enough on that SR07 switch, I'd cut the forearm so just the tape switch and the constant on switch protruded through the handguard. I'd then epoxy the switch to the inside of the handguard. I'd use the epoxy to back fill around the cut open areas. I'd then send the assembly to a Cerakote company and have them paint both handguards Graphite Black.

The standard SureFire X200-300 series easily mount to the AVATactical Picatinny rail.

The X-300 ultra-500 lumen does with just a small amount of movement once secured to the rail.....slight modifications to the present design will expand the opportunity of the design to accommodate new iterations of these devices.

This mount is machined with very close tolerances....you must be gentle starting screws with your fingertips on the torx tool to make sure there is no cross-threading; the head of the torx screws barely fit in holes of the mounts....not a complaint !.....just a heads up it's a nicely machined device that should be mounted with care.

DSCN0478cad_zps4446141c.jpg

This is from BW on the X series. I don't know why the X-300 Ultra moves once on the rail, I don't have one to test fit at this time. Anyone without that could advise would be appreciated.