QD Pushbutton Adapter

bhunted

Hi gang... Seems they make these for everything except the Benelli M4 with a field stock. So unless someone found something that can do this, I'm thinking about just ordering a female stud, drilling the stock behind the receiver and epoxying in the stud. Does anyone have any intel on this. Guess what I need to know is it solid, will it compromise the strength of the stock, is there anything in the way, etc., etc...

Thoughts? Ideas? :confused:

We have all these neat things like the new AVATactical Adapter, Surefire80, etc.. But nada for the folks with field stocks. (Ehem, here in the communist state of NJ, that's all we can have on a semi everything else)....

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IWC makes some QD sockets that could be easily added to the field stock. Just remove the rubber butt pad and determine where you want the socket. Drill the appropriate sized hole, half inch I believe and install the mount. It would be plenty strong for civilian work. The one I out in my handguard has held up well when used.

Noveske has a flush cut QD as well. That and the IWC SD mentioned need to be installed from an inside surface.

Each work well, each have pro's / con's. Internal clearance has dictated which one I use in the past. I used the Noveske on a PS90 I have. I used the IWC on several other guns.

Both are GTG in my opinion. If your external surface is not flat, be weary of the noveske.

Thanx, will check that too.

(PS: After range today, bringing M4 over to shop to show owner your mount. If he likes, he'll contact you. I'll pass his info to you in pm later...)

Noveske has a flush cut QD as well. That and the IWC SD mentioned need to be installed from an inside surface.

Each work well, each have pro's / con's. Internal clearance has dictated which one I use in the past. I used the Noveske on a PS90 I have. I used the IWC on several other guns.

Both are GTG in my opinion. If your external surface is not flat, be weary of the noveske.

SD: Nice job on the front but you have the AVA now too don't ya? I resolved the front end problem with the new AVATactical Light mount. I need to get something to the rear of the receiver. :D

BW: We cannot have that stock system in NJ on the M4 unfortunately.. Otherwise in a heartbeat. The last one you show from Noveske would be great but that is not listed for the M4 and from what I understand you cannot remove the rear sling mount from the M4 field stock. Please correct me if I'm wrong... :) What I've read from many web searches, for some reason, that plate is welded in the M4... Is this true because it that Noveske mount would work, we'd be golden...

Yeah, I'm using the AVA for the front now. I ended up making a few options for the front QD mount prior. The installation for this QD socket would be the same through the side of the stock. You'd just check for clearance on the inside, drill a half in hole where you want it. Then fasten the hardware. You could easily set the QD socket behind where the current sling loops sit. Reference photograph:

3qpNx.jpg

As a right handed shooter, I would put the rear connector here on the right side of the stock. That way the sling goes over your neck and attaches to the outside of the weapon. This helps pull the stock into your body rather than having the weapon hang away from the sling points. It really helps when shouldering the weapon. Before, I would struggle with getting the stock shouldered into the pocket of my arm since the sling on the left side would bunch up between the stock and my shoulder. I have some pictures of M4 with the collapsible stock, but the concept should be the same with the field stock. I'm using a Blue Force Gear VCAS padded sling with sewn in QD connectors.

019_zpsed6696f6.jpg

Wasn't sure about the room inside.. Good idea putting on the right side. We are so conventionally set on the left all the time just never considered it. They are cheap enough. Maybe if there is room, just put one on both sides just in case. Uncle Mikes has some too I found... Thanx SD...

Meant to ask you. Do you know what QD would be long enough to go through the stock or are they all the same length? Cause IWC asks which rifle in the drop down. Just pick Rem870 buttstock or?

http://www.impactweaponscomponents.com/product/qd-micro-mount/

Also, briefly looked at the pad yesterday. Not going to take it apart till I get the sockets. But I've seen sphincters on frogs that are more open than that screw hole. What type of screw is it? :)

Edited by bhunted

I like the idea of installing the mounts ambidextrously in the stock. I'd probably do it myself. It's always scary modifying a part. Especially a hard or expensive to get part like the field stock.

Once you pick a spot where you want the mounts, center punch it. Then start with a small drill bit and work your way up to the necessary size for the mount to pass through. When I did mine, I used a Black and Decker drill bit set that had intervals from 1/64 to 1/2 in 1/64 increments. I didn't use every single one, but I used probably eight of them. Particularly the last few bits where you're removing a lot of material quickly. Stepping up will help keep the bit from wandering from where you placed your mark. Using a drill press would be better, but I didn't even have that.

I think I got the IWC mount for the A1/A2 stock. I wish IWC had a chart with more specific sizes. Calling them would probably be the safest option. There is some adjustment in the unit to adapt to varying thicknesses. Basically as you tighten those two allen head screws on the inside, they act as stand off devices that pull the outer lock ring against the side of the stock. Expect that lock ring to be a super-***** to install. I think I even bled on mine. It's like a split key ring, but tiny and sharp on the edge. Expect tightening those allen head screws to be a ***** too. Getting the wrench inside the stock is going to be rough. The closer you are to the rear of the stock, the easier the install will be.

I would use the IWC unit instead of Uncle Mikes. I don't believe Uncle Mikes have the limited rotation stops. They help a lot when you are indexing your sling points so the weapon hangs properly. The IWC mounts are almost completely flush with the surface. If it was me, I would use resin epoxy around each QD socket on the inside of the stock to solidify the mounts in position. This will help prevent them from rotating. You can get the epoxy for like 5 bucks at Walmart. The type you mix the two compounds together works well. It doesn't have to be pretty inside the stock. Just mix it up, and apply it with a Q-Tip thickly around the mount. The epoxy may add some strength to the stock as well. I'm still concerned about attaching a sling point to a plastic stock.

The butt pad are philips screws inside on both the pistol grip and collapsible stock. I would assume they are the same in the field stock. You'll want a little oil on your driver (or even some spit) and work it in until it makes contact with the bit. A lot of joke material here...

Don't use a Magnabit, or you'll lose it in the hole. A fixed driver is what you want. Be careful with the threads on the field and pistol grip stock. They're simply screwed directly into the plastic stock. The collapsible stock is a little better in this regard since they are actually machined screw holes into the aluminum body. The screws will not come all the way out of the butt pad either. Just unscrew them a ways, and work on the other one.

I'm not crazy about the mounting in plastic idea either. Really wish there were better options. Maybe add a backplate to it. Or better yet. JB Weld the inside surface over a 2" square area, smooth it down and drill through that. We'll see. I have both JB Welds here. Plastic and Steel.. Sux that the sling plate does not come out without maiming it. Maybe we can get Joel to come up with a QD that attaches to the sling plate with a torx screw or something, hint hint. ;)

Also, why not something between the receiver and stock. Nobody has anything like this. I got some time today. Maybe I'll pop it open and stare at it for a few hours. I find when I do that as I ponder, I get creative. :)

Type A: Here is a link to the IWC mount I used. It wasn't intended for the Benelli M4, but it works perfectly.

http://www.impactweaponscomponents.com/product/qd-rotation-limited-buttstock-sling-mount-n-slot/

I like the idea of epoxying or JB Welding a piece of metal into the stock. This could be something as thin as sheet metal from the bottom of an old flat cookie sheet. The larger the surface area the better. The sheet metal would also conform to the inside of the stock.

The ideal route would be to get the Noveske QD sling plate into the stock. I'm going to screw around with my old pistol grip stock and see what is required to get it apart.

Not sure you would need the sheet metal if you used JB Weld steel.... Just rough the inside and spread it thin... Same affect.

Also don't think my wife would like using her cookie sheets. But if lacking any metal, like my grandpa did in the old days to close up holes, the top or bottom of a coffee can after it has been cut off the old fashion way, or any can for that matter.

Found this thread while snooping. Looks nice... http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=150113

If AVA is interested in taking on another project, I came up with a unit that would provide for ambidextrous rear QD sling mounts for the fixed pistol grip and field stock. It would be fairly inexpensive, since it could be adapted to use the existing IWC sling mounts.

Basically, you'd take the butt pad off, then remove the nut. We'd have to make a bracket that would seat between the nut and the Stock Retaining Piece. The bracket would have two wings. One on the left and right side of the stock. These wings of the bracket would have the half inch hole cut through the wing. The bracket would also have spots for the two anti-rotation screws. The end user would then have to drill a half inch hole through the stock in the appropriate location. The end user could then decide if they wanted just one or two of the QD sockets. The nut would then be reinstalled to hold the assembly in place.

The hardest part would be drilling the holes in the appropriate location on the stock. When installed on the weapon, the sling points would be fixed to the receiver extension and have no chance of pulling free.

I tried to get the existing sling plate out. Even with some heat. No dice. Not without destroying the stock unfortunately.