M4 Extension

waveone

Have a full length extension which I bought several years ago from a member on this forum who was manufacturing them. Excellent quality but I am a bit irritated about the fact that I can only get 6 -2 3/4" shells in the extension when I was under the impression it was a 7 shell mag. Anyone else have this issue? Solutions?

The shells I am using are S&B 00.

Theres your problem.

Spring and follower are unlikely culprits, unless you're running one of those funny Choate followers.

An M4 Full Length 7-round tube will barely hold seven (7) rounds. In other words if something is slightly off they won't fit.

The common 2 3/4 length is nominal. They vary quite a bit. If a shell is 1/8 long it means that 6 shells stacked up are 3/4 inch too long. Generally speaking Buckshot is 'long' and Birdshot is 'short'.

The real problem are the plugged shells. The length refers to the fired length. Stay with me on this. A standard crimped 2 3/4 shell measures out to about 2.5 inches. The plugged shells (like Sellier & Bellot) are not crimped. They measure 2 3/4 unfired, in other words the length of a standard 3 inch shell.

Theres your problem.

Spring and follower are unlikely culprits, unless you're running one of those funny Choate followers.

An M4 Full Length 7-round tube will barely hold seven (7) rounds. In other words if something is slightly off they won't fit.

The common 2 3/4 length is nominal. They vary quite a bit. If a shell is 1/8 long it means that 6 shells stacked up are 3/4 inch too long. Generally speaking Buckshot is 'long' and Birdshot is 'short'.

The real problem are the plugged shells. The length refers to the fired length. Stay with me on this. A standard crimped 2 3/4 shell measures out to about 2.5 inches. The plugged shells (like Sellier & Bellot) are not crimped. They measure 2 3/4 unfired, in other words the length of a standard 3 inch shell.

You rock bro, got it. I've read what you have stated but did not realize the measurement applied to the fired shell as opposed to the unfired. The issue is exacerbated by the crimping on the end which I assume the standard Rem or Win are not. I do not have anything but factory the spring or follower in my M4 and wouldn't consider anything less frankly. In either case it seems that the 00 buck rounds are part of the culprit as much as brand then. Thank you sir

Theres your problem.

Actually, it may not be the problem b/c I just took the shells out and measured them. They are 2 7/16", plugged , not crimped. So I am still vexed as to why a full seven does not fit in the extension. The only part I changed out was the tube and the seventh round is about 3/8" of an inch too long.