Taran Tactical replacement carrier

truckcop

(I AM NOT ASSOCIATED IN ANY WAY WITH TARAN TACTICAL. WELL, EXCEPT FOR THE PILE OF MY MONEY THEY HAVE)

Most everybody who has a Benelli, including me, is familiar with the "Benelli Thumb" experience. The shape of the current carrier is such that, when loading shells into the magazine, the thumb is easily captured by the carrier "nose" which can result in pain, blood, cursing, tossing the shotgun into the weeds, and other such negative wave activities. This is especially true when trying to perform reloads under the stress of a high-speed shooting match like 3-gun, but is not uncommon even during staid events such as a leisurely skeet or trap outing. With the increased popularity of 3-gun, it was such a common occurrence that individuals started modifying the OEM carrier to fill in the U-shaped nose to alleviate the problem. These mods met with varying degrees of success. This lead to other folks who were more mechanically inclined to perform these mods for others. And now the final progression of this is the purpose-made replacement part. While this is the first one I'm aware of, I imagine others may follow. Anyway, Taran Tactical Innovations has what they call the AccuGuide Extended Carrier. You can go to their website for further information. While it is a bit spendy at eighty bucks a pop, that's not really out of line if you consider the alternatives of sending your OEM part off for modification, come back and may or may not work correctly. I can tell you that this thing works. So far I've installed 4 in my M1/M2's. My M1 clays gun has been through a number of sporting clays/skeet/trap sessions without a single hiccup. I've done one 3-gun and one practical shotgun match with my current M1 3-gun shooter with the same results. And no pain, blood, cursing, etc. I'm a satisfied customer. I'm not sure why Benelli doesn't do this themselves on OEM builds.

On the right is an older M1. The carrier shape is such that I have never experienced the Benelli Thumb so I didn't feel the need to replace it. Center is the current thumb catcher shape. On the left is the TTI replacement carrier.

BenelliCarriers_zps629cee5a.jpg~original

Edited by truckcop

This work on the M4? Can't say. Haven't tried. There's an ever-so-slight difference between the M2 and M4 carriers. Just looking at it I wouldn't think there would be a function issue but I'd check with TTI before I did it.

M4 OEM on the bottom. The difference is probably just for added strength per mil requirements.

BenelliCarriers2_zps60e9e2c6.jpg~original

Do you have their spring kit for reduced recoil and faster follow up shots for your benelli? if so how do you like it Nope. I've been running SureCycle recoil tube/spring sets on a few of my guns for years with no issues. Don't see a need to change.

Edited by truckcop

• 3 weeks later...
This work on the M4? Can't say. Haven't tried. There's an ever-so-slight difference between the M2 and M4 carriers. Just looking at it I wouldn't think there would be a function issue but I'd check with TTI before I did it.

M4 OEM on the bottom. The difference is probably just for added strength per mil requirements.

I just found out the carrier on that M2 is actually derived from a M3.

http://forums.benelliusa.com/showthread.php/32569-M3-Cartridge-Drop-Lever-and-Carrier

Edited by Vertigofirearms

I was looking at a SBE II and an M2 at Scheels today and it sure looks liek they are either the same size or close. Has anyone tried a TT carrier in a SBE?

I am wondering if the TT carrier and be trimmed down to fit a 20 gauge???

Naw, I bet the receiver on the 20 gauge is narrower not just the carrier...danged.

Thanks

Pat

I was looking at a SBE II and an M2 at Scheels today and it sure looks liek they are either the same size or close. Has anyone tried a TT carrier in a SBE?

I am wondering if the TT carrier and be trimmed down to fit a 20 gauge???

Naw, I bet the receiver on the 20 gauge is narrower not just the carrier...danged.

Thanks

Pat

Yes, works on SBE.

Yes, 20 ga. receiver and carrier narrower. Already begging him for a 20 ga. version. No response yet.

• 3 weeks later...
I feed my Benelli (M1014) magazine like trying to feed a hungry baby gator. Very carefully, holding it in the proper position, and hoping to get away with just some roughed skin. This is probably another mod I will want.

Wise advice.........."M4 thumb" is the new "Garand thumb"

• 3 weeks later...

I received my TTI shell elevator,hammer spring,bolt release pad and safety yesterday,,, to me being a new M4 owner the pieces seem to be well made and well finished the shell elevator is completly polished and the bolt pad and safety are hard coat anodized in a dark grayish color....