SBS out of NFA jail

calviroman

Thanks....but don't be...you still have the best M4 on the forum! I was just comparing the output on that G2 LED to my newish M600U and I think there will be a P2X Fury singe mode getting ordered soon! I could put a Malkoff drop-in in the G2, but that's about 60% the cost of the Fury. May do both and just throw the G2 in my glove box.

Nice looking SBS!!!! Let me know what light you end up with, saw the other update as well. Did you try a light that did not work btw? SBS brings a clearance issue with the SBS barrel profile and front barrel hanger.

Is your aimpoint getting a riser or is the height correct as is? I don't have an aimpoint on my m4, but I heard people having problems with larue risers, so I wasn't sure if you were going to / needed to run a riser.

Thanks. I only tried the G2 LED, which fits great...it's just an older, weak-sauce light! The LaRue "short" mount is one solid piece (no riser) and puts the Aimpoint Micro at the perfect height for a good sight picture and cheek weld on the C-Stock when in its middle LOP position...which is how I use it.

Some eforms have been popping in 3. I've used trusts, which means I didn't need CLEO but that doesn't work everywhere. Pretty soon all routes may need CLEO.

The end of my factory SBS barrel is shiny. Which I think is what may have been refereed to. Yours appears to have a finish.

I thought I had read speculation that the lack of finish on M4 SBSs was because they were imported as full length and cut state side. While that's possible, the SBS barrel does have an entirely different profile than a standard barrel. So even if it is imported as full length and then cut in the US, it is still not a standard barrel that is cut it is specifically for the SBS.

And yes the wait is now >6 months. I bought & paid for my SBS in Sep 2012, received it in Dec 2013! Bought it out of state so had to wait for a dealer-to-dealer xfer in there as well. Cost for basic shotgun was $1836 (included C-stock and fixed PG stock), plus $200 tax stamp, plus $65 xfer fee to local dealer.

I did it on a Form 4 using a trust. I did the trust using a $20 Quicken product "Willmaker" or something like that. Used it three times now. If you're just using it for NFA items, there are some good examples on message boards of the content. There are some state specific req's so I'd recommend using a legal prep software tool to get the boilerplate then add in some minor NFA specific edits.

My next NFA toy will be a suppressor. I'm undecided on the host / application. Leaning towards Ruger 22/45 w/ thread on can.

If your state will allow, use of a trust is the best way to go for NFA class III items (i.e. avoid all the CLEO and fingerprint requirements). I used a lawyer (experienced in NFA rules) to draft the trust, and as well, the trust can be used for any items by just adding to the list of items. I not only have my NFA Class III items listed on the trust but all my firearms.

I'm in Virginia and the wait time for class III items (SBS, SBR, Machine Guns and Silencers) is >10 months. Wait times in 2009-2010 were around 4 months. Demand for class III items have signifcantly risen in the past 4 years and the BATFE has done nothing to speed up the process; in fact, they use additional excuses like: government furfoughs, government shutdown and reduced budgets for >10 month wait times.

All these rules for SBS, SBR and Silencers are so antiquated (NFA 1934 Law) given today's technology. Only the government could make it harder and more expensive.