M4 light mount

TD-Max

Has anybody tried the Elzetta ZSM Tactical polymer mounting system? Not much for details, but it looks pretty sweet.

I don't know about this mount, but one of our Forum Members AVATactical.com has designed a great mount that has had some great reviews by other members. http://forums.benelliusa.com/showthread.php/32451-New-Product-Announcement-Benelli-M4-Mount-from-AVATactical-com-Discount-Available

Definitely has my interest piqued.

Back in the weapon light mounting options suck thread I actually called this one. Both mounting to the barrel band an the figure 8 design. I'd prefer a hinge pin top for a cleaner look, but looks nice to me.

I have a new Maelstrom Regen MMR-X that would go good on there.

Is it just me or is the copy/paste function disabled here?

I as find that typing in this forum gives me fits. Seems it wants to skip characters unless I use very deliberate keystrokes. Another similar Vb forum gives same results.

I'll have to see about measurements but foursevens Maelstrom Regen MMR-X is the light.

TD -

Sorry I did find the product page a few minutes back, the specs page says:

[TABLE=width: 2]

[TR]

[TD]DIMENSIONS[/TD]

[TD]Length: 5.47 inches / Diameter: 1.24 inches / Weight: 3.26 oz

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

However, I suspect that diameter is the bezel max OD. I can't be sure but body looks like it would be a fit. If you have calipers or a micrometer you can get that OD, tailcap and body.

If you're interested in testing fit with the mount I can get one out to you, no risk.

Joel @ AVATactical.com

You are correct, the diameter is the bezel. I have my Mitutoyo caliper at my side, just need to get the light in my hands. to measure.

I would assume that a 1.75" bezel would interfere? I have a nice light with 1" body and 1.75" bezel that throws an awesome field of light.

Yes sir, 1.75 would be too large of a bezel. PXX lights at ~1.37 have been mounted but I can't advocate it since I built it for proper clearance with 1.25" bezel.

It's possible to make mounts for larger bezels but I have yet to get enough interest to do so. Volumes are low on the M4, and the mounts are not cheap as is so I tried to go for the most popular dimensions first.

Joel

You should be GTG with the Maelstrom. My guess is that it won't be able to properly clamp the body because the larger OD of the tailcap will interfere, so you will position it so all the clamping force is on the tailcap.

As mentioned I can send one to you no risk, if interested just email me at Joel @ AVATactical.com and I will get you setup.

Would a spacer work instead of redesigning your mount. Just use longer screws with say a 0.5" thick piece of aluminum that conforms to your current design? Hopefully that would save on having a lot of different mount designs and make it easier for end users to adjust to new light bezel diameters as needed....well until different end cap sizes are used.

Just a thought...

Disclaimer - I already own two of the wonderful AVA light mounts!

Yes sir, 1.75 would be too large of a bezel. PXX lights at ~1.37 have been mounted but I can't advocate it since I built it for proper clearance with 1.25" bezel.

It's possible to make mounts for larger bezels but I have yet to get enough interest to do so. Volumes are low on the M4, and the mounts are not cheap as is so I tried to go for the most popular dimensions first.

Joel

Would a spacer work instead of redesigning your mount. Just use longer screws with say a 0.5" thick piece of aluminum that conforms to your current design? Hopefully that would save on having a lot of different mount designs and make it easier for end users to adjust to new light bezel diameters as needed....well until different end cap sizes are used.

Just a thought...

Disclaimer - I already own two of the wonderful AVA light mounts!

Essentially that is the way it would work, yes. Either a separate spacer and a different profile clamp, or a clamp with a integral spacer/clamp which rests on the existing flats. I have both mocked up in CAD.

The mount could stay the same, just different clamps/spacers for different ODs of both body or bezel.

In this instance yes. But I have mine set up with both "bands" holding onto the tailcap of my surefire fury. That way I can change the batteries easily by just rotating the body out of the tailcap.

Cheers

Am I seeing correctly that in this pic the one band is grasping the tailcap and the other is "floating" over the body?

189341758.jpg

Am I seeing correctly that in this pic the one band is grasping the tailcap and the other is "floating" over the body?

Somewhat. There is a flat on that body where the clamp is not touching it. But below and above that flat the clamp is contacting the body and gripping it. Depending on the OD of the body, it does not just grip straight back at the 90 degree mark, the light is also bound by a very small geometric feature at the top of the clamp which prevents the light from riding too high and when you tighten the clamp the body should be forced up into it by the lower part of the clamp.

I would put position that flat differently for permanent mounting, this was setup rather quickly to take pictures.

I think SD and some others prefer the button further forward than right by the hand guards, so you can clamp the tailcap only as well. Obviously on any rig which you do so, you are relying upon the tailcap's interface to the flashlight to secure the light properly. A standard classic 6 with a mechanical button and not a clicky, in this situation, is a definite no go.

Edited by AVATactical.com

You should be GTG with the Maelstrom. My guess is that it won't be able to properly clamp the body because the larger OD of the tailcap will interfere, so you will position it so all the clamping force is on the tailcap.

As mentioned I can send one to you no risk, if interested just email me at Joel @ AVATactical.com and I will get you setup.

Should be in touch next week.