Now I get it

Unobtanium

I don't have, or want children, but I finally get what my Dad saw when I was a child and he watched me open the things that he had gotten for me.

My entire childhood, I couldn't wait to open presents for Christmas, and I couldn't understand why my parents enjoyed it so much. I was the one getting all the stuff, after-all!

Turn-about is only fair play, and even though he felt crummy tonight, he was a good sport and got dressed and let me take pictures of the process. By the time he got his gift open, he felt a little better! Considering all that my father has done for me, this is just a drop in the bucket, but it sure made him smile, and that made my Christmas! I finally get it. Thanks, Dad!

2a5duon.jpg

ixrswy.jpg

sx155g.jpg

2gtbzu8.jpg

For those of you wanting a parts break-down:

-DDM4 V5 Rifle

-Rosch Works SL-1 sight/light

-LaRue index clips

-ALG ACT Trigger

-BCM Gunfighter Mod 4 CH

-KAC trigger guard

-Magpul MOE PG and VFG

-Troy rear BUIS

-Extractor spring swapped for Colt Gold spring

-Cleaned and lubed (bottle included) with FIREClean

*Yes, I had to give him his gift on the 26th. I worked 60 hours over the last 6 days, and slept all day Christmas. Today was the first day I felt like moving.

NOOOICE.

I have an 8 y/o girl, so I get to see this quite often. It's heart warming.

That site / light looks interesting, can't remember where I saw them first on some blog. Any feedback on it?

Merry Christmas

Thanks. The expression on his face made my year! There are always little moments burned in our minds that we will always view someone through, and this is one of how I will always see my father.

Mike Pannone as well as all of the other Alias instructors are currently T&E'ing them. I really like it. It's momentary-only with the press, and constant with a tail-cap twist. The output is nearly identical to the Malkoff M61 with the XP-G pill from 2 years ago. It uses the XPG-2 with a 6200K tint, and the use of only 1 cell is why the output is similar to the M61 (2-cell) with the older pill. Beam profile and M61 XP-G2 are identical. It is identical to the M31 XP-G2, except much fewer people know what the M31's look like, so I referenced the older XP-G M61.

If you want the simple version, it makes 250-275 OTF lumens (this is real lumens, not emitter) off of 1 battery with a 50 minute run-time, I would rate it as useful to 75-85 yards with dark adapted vision, VERY effective out to 50, regardless, and optimal for indoor or urban work.

It is a monolithic item, save for the front sight post itself, the mounting hardware/adjustment hardware, and the tail/head-cap.

Eugine Malkoff is responsible for the LED circuitry and head.

It is made of 7075, Type III HA'ed, and Cerakoted over.

They currently use an Acrylic lens that is DEEPLY recessed and should be pretty free from carbon build-up due to muzzle blast because of it. They may well transition to Pyrex due to my input and others. I personally swapped the lens for one made of sapphire.

All steel parts are QPQ treated.

It will not accept Surefire Scout heads. I tried. It will accept VME conversion heads.

sweet.

love my ar15's

target sports has 420 lc m855 on strippers for $200 shipped. ordered mine last :cool:

Thanks! I stay away from M855 though because most ranges will not let you use it, and even if they do, most instructors will not let you shoot their steel with it, and even if they do, the splash-back from M855 increases the safety-distance required significantly, which hampers some drills, as well as provides for increased risk to shooter and bystander. This is why I don't use it for training ammo. For serious stuff, I have supplied my Dad with some contract over-run of the 5.56 "Optimized" that SOCOM is currently using. One of my friends shot a deer with it the other day, and was very impressed. Hole the size of his thumb through the thing, lots of blood. Full penetration. It usually expands to .45-.50 caliber,and penetrates 2-2.5 feet in game. My father lives in a brick house, and no 5.56 does well on brick. Should be just fine.

Not having children is missing out on the greatest experience life has to offer. The way you felt watching your dad just scratches the surface of emotions compared to the joy of children.

Never say never, I suppose, as I never thought I would sell my Z06, and I never thought I would drive an SUV (looking to get one this year), so on and so forth, but as of now, they are not in the plans.

Not to derail too much, but the main rifle will be:

Magnesium Lower

Magnesium Upper

Noveske NSR 13.5" Rail

Noveske Black rail covers

PWS 416 Receiver Extension

JP Silent Buffer

JP M16 Full weight BCG upgraded with a POF Rollercam/Gas Key

Raptor Ambidextrous charging handle

Spikes Tactical Lightweight profile barrel, 14.5", I'll have ADCO pin the flash suppressor in place.

Vortex Flash Suppressor

Aimpoint T1 2moa on a LaRue absolute co-witness Mount

Surefire X300 Ultra on a Mossie Tactic 12 o'clock mount

Troy Industries BUIS

Geissele 3D3G Trigger

Battle Arms Development CASS ST

Battle Arms Development Take Down Pins

Norgon ambidextrous magazine release

Seekins Bolt Release

Umbrella Corp Grip

Magpul CTR Milspec Stock

Magpul MS4 Sling

The 22lr trainer will be identical except it will have a Taccom 22lr bolt carrier, and probably a Spikes Tactical 22lr barrel.

I'm hoping to be in the 5.5 - 6 pounds loaded range for each.

Not to derail too much, but the main rifle will be:

Magnesium Lower

Magnesium Upper

Noveske NSR 13.5" Rail

Noveske Black rail covers

PWS 416 Receiver Extension

JP Silent Buffer

JP M16 Full weight BCG upgraded with a POF Rollercam/Gas Key

Raptor Ambidextrous charging handle

Spikes Tactical Lightweight profile barrel, 14.5", I'll have ADCO pin the flash suppressor in place.

Vortex Flash Suppressor

Aimpoint T1 2moa on a LaRue absolute co-witness Mount

Surefire X300 Ultra on a Mossie Tactic 12 o'clock mount

Troy Industries BUIS

Geissele 3D3G Trigger

Battle Arms Development CASS ST

Battle Arms Development Take Down Pins

Norgon ambidextrous magazine release

Seekins Bolt Release

Umbrella Corp Grip

Magpul CTR Milspec Stock

Magpul MS4 Sling

The 22lr trainer will be identical except it will have a Taccom 22lr bolt carrier, and probably a Spikes Tactical 22lr barrel.

I'm hoping to be in the 5.5 - 6 pounds loaded range for each.

I've owned an MS4 before, and it sucked. It looks good on paper, but in actual usage, it's very clumsy, and adjustment is extremely stiff. I would recommend the VTAC.

As noted, the BCM magnesium alloy rail is significantly lighter than the NSR.

I contemplated doing ambi controls, but they are not needed on the AR platform using proper manipulations technique.

POF rollercam is a solution to a non-issue, IMO.

Give consideration to the AAC BCG when they offer it separately for sale. Robert Silvers has put a TON of engineering into it. The JP unit is also good.

Using the Mossie tactic + X300 with a 13-13.5" rail and 14.5" barrel might not be a good idea.

Just my .02

I've never used a POF roller cam, but I wonder if it will prevent wear in the magnesium upper?

If so I wonder if that benefit is worth it.

For the JP - I have one of their captive spring systems as well. I love it.

You going with a full weight BCG to maintain normal ops? Not going to try to monkey with saving weight there?

I am considering doing an SBR 300 with my mag build. Risky given the unknown durability of a mag lower. But it would make it even lighter.

I've never used a POF roller cam, but I wonder if it will prevent wear in the magnesium upper?

If so I wonder if that benefit is worth it.

For the JP - I have one of their captive spring systems as well. I love it.

You going with a full weight BCG to maintain normal ops? Not going to try to monkey with saving weight there?

I am considering doing an SBR 300 with my mag build. Risky given the unknown durability of a mag lower. But it would make it even lighter.

I personally don't feel that the magnesium upper and lower is a good call when the weight is so near the body. There are always unintended consequences.

The POF Roller-cam is pointless on DI guns. The cam-pin pocket will wear slightly and then stop. It is self-limiting. That pocket is a relief cut for the provision of space for the cam-pin during locking and unlocking of the weapon, not a load-bearing area.

On their pistol guns (another solution in search of a problem for this platform), Colt has began placing a steel reinforcement there to prevent said wear.

Believe it or not, Eugine Stoner did a VERY VERY good job engineering this weapon. A few compromises have been made with the M4 platform, and it has taken a decade or two to iron them out. By and large, they have been, though. The solutions are found on the current M4A1 and MK18 and MK12 rifles.

None of which have:

roller cam pins

adjustable gas blocks

NiB carriers or bolts

McFarland gas rings (It was tried on the MK18 and then ditched)

Some things are indeed good, like the BCM Mod 4 charging handle. Like the PMAG and Lancer AWM mag. Like QPQ barrel treatments.

However, make sure that what you are doing doesn't open the door for methods of failure unrelated to why you are doing them. It happens quite often. A firearm is a complex dynamic operating system, and changing singular components without thorough attention to the whole often goes very poorly.

A magnesium lower weighs 5.8oz. A 7075 mil-spec lower weighs a whopping 3.2oz more.

A magnesium upper will be similarly earth-shattering. The company has already began with excuses for their product, mainly "7075 isn't necessary for AR uppers". Yeah...I don't see this ending in a huge movement to magnesium allow upper/lowers, and I wouldn't trade 3-6oz at the rear of the gun for a bag of unknowns.

While the MAG Tactical Systems Ultralite Gen-4 ultralight AR lower receiver's aerospace aluminum alloy is a 6,000-series-equivalent alloy versus aircraft-grade 7075-T6 aluminum, it's still (according to the company) plenty strong and coated with a proprietary "high-phosphorous nickel coating" that is then over-coated with the end-user's choice of boron nitride, boron, nickel boron, teflon electroless, Cerakote Ceramic (Desert Tan/Flat Dark Earth or Black) or DuPont Teflon One Coat. The high-phosphorous nickel coating provides hardness, while the additional coating enhances the anti-corrosion/anti-abrasion aspects of the receiver even further. Bottom line, MAG Tactical maintains that 7075-T6 aluminum is unnecessary for their receiver(s) due to their alloy's and coating(s)' respective mechanical properties.

http://www.defensereview.com/mag-tactical-systems-gen-4-ultralite-ultra-lightweight-ar-15-riflecarbinesbr-lower-receiver-and-upper-receiver/

Then there is the fact that if noone holds someone to a standard...they likely won't hold themselves to a very high one, either.

I bought a MAG tactical systems lower a week ago. Save yourself some trouble and look elsewhere.

The one I bought had numerous issues. FCG when assembled, the tail of the trigger will not go down far enough for the safety to slide through. Safety hole appears to be drilled too low.

2nd issue was no matter what upper I tried (8+ of different makes), there was a fixed static gap between upper and lower of 0.020". This was not slop or lateral play but a fixed gap. This is at the max limit per Army TM guidelines.

Lastly, they do not offer a hard annodize finish. Their coating finishes on my example would chip very easy. Also, the increased radius on the front take down pin hole area can interfere with some railed float hand guards and you cannot normally "shotgun" the action and pivot on the front take down pin.

The company has been very responsive though when I brought my issues up and currently have it in route for swap out. Lowers are few and far between where I live and in hindsight, I would have looked elsewhere.

http://www.theakforum.net/forums/121-ar-15-general-discussion/161236-magnesium-ar-lower-feedback.html#post1523313

Edited by Unobtanium