M4 Cycling Issues

holtv663

Hello all.

Today, after many months of sitting in a case I finally went out to break the cherry on my Brand New M4. Prior to getting this out to shoot, I installed an oversized Charging Handle, Bolt Release Pad, Carrier Comp Magazine Tube, and the AVA Tactical Light Mount.

I was shooting some Brand New Target Loads (Federal 12 GA, 2 3/4", 1 1/8 OZ. Shot, 7 1/2 Shot). These are a low base shot shells.

I shot the entire box, and did not have one shell auto reload. Either the shell did not completely eject, or it did eject, but did not load the next.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2430[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]2431[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]2432[/ATTACH]

They tell you to run a couple boxes of high brass field loads through the gun during the break-in period. I didn't really have this problem with mine, it cycled everything I shot. But I think the break-in would be a wise move.

My brother's SBE wouldn't cycle target loads at the clays range, but that was because it was dirty and lacking lube. Once it was clean and lubed, it worked flawlessly.

Based on my readings, I've ordered a can of Federal XM 127 00BK. These are High Power, with 1325 FPS. Has anyone put these through their M4?

Thanks for the feedback so far. I plan on stripping it down today, and doing a good cleaning.

I believe that stuff is Federal LE127 00 Buckshot contract over runs. It will run fine in your M4. To be clear,

I have never had an M4 jam on ANY 2 3/4" buckshot. Even when new. That includes the "low recoil" labeled loads. I did let

a 12 year old boy shoot my M4 once with federal low recoil buckshot and it did jam. I could not get it to happen so I assume it was due to the way he was holding the shotgun.

I was shocked to see how many threads on forums with people having cycling problems with the M4. This problem spans a few years according to the threads on the internet.

I am also a firm believer that a firearm manufacturer should reevaluate the maufacturing process if owners are having to cycle a few hundred rounds through the firearm before it becomes reliable. This had no effect on my cycling issues.

I haven't had any issues with any of the M4s I have had, even with the Win Uni or other Walmart Value packs.

I cannot say the same for some of the other Semi-Auto platforms I have used.

For what it's worth anyway. I wouldn't say this is typical of the M4.

One thing to try is to put your M4 stock against a solid tree and fire the rounds through it. See if you still have cycle failures and report back.

Hello all.

Today, after many months of sitting in a case I finally went out to break the cherry on my Brand New M4. Prior to getting this out to shoot, I installed an oversized Charging Handle, Bolt Release Pad, Carrier Comp Magazine Tube, and the AVA Tactical Light Mount.

I was shooting some Brand New Target Loads (Federal 12 GA, 2 3/4", 1 1/8 OZ. Shot, 7 1/2 Shot). These are a low base shot shells.

I shot the entire box, and did not have one shell auto reload. Either the shell did not completely eject, or it did eject, but did not load the next.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2430[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]2431[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]2432[/ATTACH]

A quick search on "M4 cycling issues" will result in many threads and many simple solutions.

I did not read the part where you stripped and cleaned/lubed the gun before shooting? If not then that is what you need to start with.

Good ammo, a good shoulder, and clean with proper lube are prerequisites along with the recommendation of using "stout loads" while breaking in.

FWIW mine has less than 20 rounds thru it and it shoots cheap Federal target loads fine.

I was shocked to see how people having cycling problems with the M4.

Yeah, me too. I don't how they do it smiley-laughing013.gif

Seriously, folks, my M4s will eat and eject stuff my rattle-trap Mossbergs will not. A break-in period is common to all machinery and an Italian shotgun is no different. These things were meant to run on full-power loads so asking a new shotgun to run on junk birdshot is a bit much sometimes.

If the gun has honestly been cleaned, oiled, and broken in properly it should work. If it does not I'm sure Benelli will get you fixed up.

A quick search on "M4 cycling issues" will result in many threads and many simple solutions.

I did not read the part where you stripped and cleaned/lubed the gun before shooting? If not then that is what you need to start with.

Good ammo, a good shoulder, and clean with proper lube are prerequisites along with the recommendation of using "stout loads" while breaking in.

FWIW mine has less than 20 rounds thru it and it shoots cheap Federal target loads fine.

Agree with TD-Max. Clean, Lube, Shoulder, and Buckshot loads.

By the way, the Benelli manual recommends cleaning and lubing after unpacking before any shooting. Semi-auto loader firearms all have some break-in needed IMHO. Some just a few rounds and some much more. My thumb-rule is one magazine's worth of ammo should be enough for a "break-in firing sequence".

I believe that stuff is Federal LE127 00 Buckshot contract over runs. It will run fine in your M4. To be clear,

I have never had an M4 jam on ANY 2 3/4" buckshot. Even when new. That includes the "low recoil" labeled loads. I did let

a 12 year old boy shoot my M4 once with federal low recoil buckshot and it did jam. I could not get it to happen so I assume it was due to the way he was holding the shotgun.

No .....it doesn't have the flitecontrol wad and it is pain lead shot.......not copper plated like the LE12700. Also the hulls are a little different. The LE uses a smooth hull and the XM uses a ribbed hull.

Edited by tinman1975

No .....it doesn't have the flitecontrol wad and it is pain lead shot.......not copper plated like the LE12700. Also the hulls are a little different. The LE uses a smooth hull and the XM uses a ribbed hull.

Oh ok. I assume the powder charge is the same?

I've run plenty of the Rio through my m4 also with no issues. Even cheaper than the Federal stuff if you are just slingin it down range to break in your gun.

http://www.sgammo.com/product/12-gauge/250-rd-case-12-gauge-rio-275-inch-high-power-00-buckshot-9-pellet-rb129

also, nobody mentioned it yet, but adding an oversized charging handle is essentially adding more mass to your bolt.....probably not a good thing if you are using light loads to try and cycle it. Does your gun have cycling issues with the oem charging handle? Also, did you use your original magazine spring in the new longer extension tube? Maybe your spring is too weak and causing feeding issues, but I thought Kip always included a new Wolf spring with his tubes. I was just lucky and mine cycled light target loads from day 1. Also most of the cycling issues I read about are from people trying to run cheap target loads through it. One thing people forget that they bought a combat shotgun that wasn't designed to be used for killing a thousand doves a day in Argentina....it was designed to shoot high power combat loads. I am happy mine will cycle target loads, but even if it didn't .....I couldn't be mad, because that's not what I bought it for.

Edited by tinman1975

I've run plenty of the Rio through my m4 also with no issues. Even cheaper than the Federal stuff if you are just slingin it down range to break in your gun.

http://www.sgammo.com/product/12-gauge/250-rd-case-12-gauge-rio-275-inch-high-power-00-buckshot-9-pellet-rb129

also, nobody mentioned it yet, but adding an oversized charging handle is essentially adding more mass to your bolt.....probably not a good thing if you are using light loads to try and cycle it. Does your gun have cycling issues with the oem charging handle? Also, did you use your original magazine spring in the new longer extension tube? Maybe your spring is too weak and causing feeding issues, but I thought Kip always included a new Wolf spring with his tubes. I was just lucky and mine cycled light target loads from day 1. Also most of the cycling issues I read about are from people trying to run cheap target loads through it. One thing people forget that they bought a combat shotgun that wasn't designed to be used for killing a thousand doves a day in Argentina....it was designed to shoot high power combat loads. I am happy mine will cycle target loads, but even if it didn't .....I couldn't be mad, because that's not what I bought it for.

This was the first time I had it out to shoot. Normally I wouldn't have shot the cheap Federal Target loads, but they were given to me at Christmas, with the Shotgun. The Shotgun was my choice, the rounds were a stocking stuffer from someone who doesn't know anything about this type of Gun.

I haven't tried to shoot the M4 with the original charging handle. I just went to a friends house with a box of shells to try it out. Kip's tube does have the follower and spring he supplies installed. I wish he still was making the charging handles, I would have bought one of his. I have lots of 00B, but just wanted to shoot the stuff given to me. I learned a valuable lesson. Glad I took it out.:rolleyes:

Thanks again to all of you who have posted to this thread. Hopefully I can get back out in a couple of day's and shoot some quality ammo. I'll keep you posted on the results.

Did you strip it and clean the mfr oils from it yet?

Yes, I stripped it down, and cleaned / Lubed the Bolt / Receiver Rails, F.P., etc. I took the trigger group out to replace the Hammer with a Geissele for 922R compliant. I did not remove the Gas Cylinder Plugs / Gas Pistons though. I didn't see any signs of wear. All the factory finishes looked brand new.

Update.......

Today I returned to the range and shot some Winchester 2 3/4", 9 pellet 00B (1325 velocity) and it went off without a hitch. Not one reloading issue.:D

Thanks to all of you who have added your comments. I really appreciate it!

Must have been those light loads.

• 1 month later...

My M4 just returned from service today.

After speaking with Benelli, I was told that the lore of the couple hundred loads for a

break in period was not a maintenance practice condoned by Benelli. They are warrantied

to cycle malfunction free straight out of the box.

Through my own experiences I see their point. This is my second M4. The first ran straight

like a champion.... right out of the box. No break in period was required.

While some preach the break in period, how does a too weak spring correct itself?

A stronger spring may lighten up, but what side of the spectrum are you on?

While I haven't been out to test the M4 yet, I am confident (hoping) that Benelli

corrected the malfunction. I was fine with waiting two months. I wish I had done

it sooner. I took the time to try many of the things mentioned here in the forum,

but in the end I should have just sent in from the get go.

My M4 just returned from service today.

After speaking with Benelli, I was told that the lore of the couple hundred loads for a

break in period was not a maintenance practice condoned by Benelli. They are warrantied

to cycle malfunction free straight out of the box.

Through my own experiences I see their point. This is my second M4. The first ran straight

like a champion.... right out of the box. No break in period was required.

While some preach the break in period, how does a too weak spring correct itself?

A stronger spring may lighten up, but what side of the spectrum are you on?

While I haven't been out to test the M4 yet, I am confident (hoping) that Benelli

corrected the malfunction. I was fine with waiting two months. I wish I had done

it sooner. I took the time to try many of the things mentioned here in the forum,

but in the end I should have just sent in from the get go.

Did Benelli provide you a report on their findings? I'm curious.