Elzetta Z-STK Buttstock Sling Swivel Kit.

NHnewbie

Can't say for sure. I know that StrangerDanger used this one:

http://www.impactweaponscomponents.com/product/qd-rotation-limited-buttstock-sling-mount-n-slot/

Which is less expensive. IWC stuff is always top notch too.

Looks like a better choice. Thanks.

Now that this problem is solved, I'm looking for a QD solution for the front end. Will be using a SideArmor Entry rail so I think the AVA approach will not work. Ideal would seem to be a plate that replaces the stock front sling attach plate but has a QD fitting. Been searching these threads and elsewhere but no joy so far. I did see SD's approach on another thread but I prefer not to attempt to make a part for this.

Edited by NHnewbie

You could use a QD which attaches to the top rail on your Sidearmor.

I think the best positioning you are going to get with this approach will again be an IWC product like:

http://www.impactweaponscomponents.com/product/45-offset-1913-rail-qd-rotation-limited-sling-mount-n-slot/

I don't think the QD placement proximate to the top rail is ideal, I think the modified BLAM4 with QD is the better sling connection point.

Outside of those options and the AVA, which as you mentioned won't be compatible with the Sidearmor, I am not aware of anything that is NOT a mag tube clamp which would then interfere with disassembly. If you don't mind that issue, then you can go with a any number of mag tube clamps which either have or you can add a QD to.

Why use the sidearmor rail? What are you looking to mount above the barrel? I only ask as many of use have tried and now moved away from that solution as it adds weight to an already very heavy platform and doesn't add capability beyond the AVA light and carrier comp top rail option.

Will mount a Trijicon reflex sight on top rail well forward. Also on SideArmor side rail is a Surefire light/laser combo and 8 round shell holder. I like the flexibility that comes with the SideArmor rails as I like to try different alternatives. Not all that concerned about weight as I don't plan to lug this around, but may change my mind if it weighs 20 lbs. ;) I hear that CarrierComp is great stuff; the only problem is that it seems to be always unavailable.

You could use a QD which attaches to the top rail on your Sidearmor.

I don't think the QD placement proximate to the top rail is ideal, I think the modified BLAM4 with QD is the better sling connection point.

I also don't like mounting the QD adapter to the SA rails. I checked out the BLAM4 and this is in the direction I am thinking. I am assuming that by "modified" you mean replacing the rail on the BLAM4 with a QD fitting?

Correct, you get a blam4, you get a IWC Flush QD cup and you drill / chop / recoat your Blam4.

Found the thread - thanks. Yes, this is what I have in mind. Is it really necessary to cut off the sling attach slot? I was thinking that I would just remove the rail and mount the QD adapter. Since I don't have any of this front of me I cant tell if there are any clearance issues with mounting the BAM4 in any of what look to be four different possible orientations. The only purpose of the BLAM4 is to mount the QD adapter

Not sure what you mean by cut off the sling attach slot.

The BLAM4 replaces the factory sling loop completely

The BLAM4 pix I am finding on the net show a short rail on one side and a sling attach slot similar to the factory sling attach slot on the other. I would just leave the sling attach slot on the BLAM4 alone unless it interferes with installing in place of the factory sling attach plate. (Sorry, I am new at this and have never seen these parts up close and personal.)

I'm selling the modified blam4 with the IWC QD mount on gunbroker. I no longer need it since I am using the Ava Tactical mount. Mine is chopped, filled, drilled and Cerakoted black. I'd strongly urge going the Ava Tactical route. I've had the SideArmor rail before. It makes the weapon a pig.

064_zps1e1882ba.jpg

You can make one of these if you want, but the blam4 is like 50 bucks and the IWC mount is another 20 or so. Refinishing is extra.

Before AVATactical forward mount was available, I used a combination of SideArmor / SureFire to get a 4-rail circumferential system similar to Brugger & Tomet M4 forend substitute.

Screenshot2013-12-29at75358PM_zpsc144c697.png

With Joel's AVATactical forward mount with an integral QD, you could use a setup like this and just add the SideArmor for shells and optic mounting.

Screenshot2013-12-29at75549PM_zps18fe5cec.png

Now that you've been running the P2X / AVA combo for a few weeks, does the head clear the barrel and mag tube cap when appropriately indexed?

I'm not running the entry barrel, but the AVA mount and the P2X is a tight fit; however, I can still unscrew the flashlight from the mounted tail cap for battery change with minimal rubbing.

Wheels still turning here on the easiest way to get a useable, rugged QD fitting on the front end of the M4. Just eyeballing a bit, it looks like this style IWC mount-n-slot fitting might fit into the slot in the standard sling attach plate. Might not even need to remove the snap ring depending on the orientation desired. Anyone checked this out? I have the M4 to look at but not the IWC part so difficult to determine clearances etc.

The IWC MOE mount would probably fit thru the OEM front sling mount with minimal effort. However, the position of the QD mount may be awkward or cause the weapon to hang away from your body. The only way to know for certain is to try it though. I've found that the further away from the center line of the weapon a sling mount mounts, the more it will feel like the weapon is hanging away from your body.

Of all the front sling mounts, the AVA Tactical mount is the most secure. I've dislodged my standard sling mount before when doing stupid stuff out while hiking thru the bush. Damn snap ring came of and dropped the weapon. The AVA Tactical mount is literally bolted in four points to the barrel assembly. The failure of the snap ring was most likely my fault, but it was still problem you'd hate to run into in the field. The ring didn't completely fall off, since it was still held captive by the magazine tube.

The IWC MOE mount would probably fit thru the OEM front sling mount with minimal effort. However, the position of the QD mount may be awkward or cause the weapon to hang away from your body. The only way to know for certain is to try it though. I've found that the further away from the center line of the weapon a sling mount mounts, the more it will feel like the weapon is hanging away from your body.

Thanks - I will give this a try. I understand that this may not be ideal for several reasons. I can see that the AVA mount is a robust design, but it is not compatible with the Side Armor rail system I already have. I'll consider it if the SA proves unsatisfactory.

However, the position of the QD mount may be awkward or cause the weapon to hang away from your body...... I've found that the further away from the center line of the weapon a sling mount mounts, the more it will feel like the weapon is hanging away from your body.

SD,

On one of my M4's I use the Wilson Combat 10/2 QD low profile rail mount......designed to limit the amount of away-from-the-operator rotation of the weapon that is usually present when the QD mount is laterally positioned on a forward rail or slotted sling mount. The 10/2 mount is a pretty good solution.

DSCN0808a_zps0ad4b08a.jpg

DSCN0810a_zps888d9ab8.jpg

I like that Wilson QD. I have never seen it before. It is very similar to, but takes up less rail space than these similar devices:

IWC:

http://www.impactweaponscomponents.com/product/45-offset-1913-rail-qd-rotation-limited-sling-mount-n-slot/

Magpul:

http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG337/188

EDIT: One downside to the Wilson is it is not Rotation Limited.

Edited by AVATactical.com