R1 new gas piston assembly

FONZ

I want to replace the gas piston assembly on my Benelli R1.

The old style piston assy is no longer available and the update kit also includes a new gas collector cylinder that needs to go onto the barrel with eight locking screws.

Does someone have info/experience how to mount the new collector cylinder onto the barrel?

Is this new cylinder identical to the one in the old design?

the new kit is available at numrich: https://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/1426700.htm

I just installed this kit a couple of months ago on my 10 year old R1. The piston assembly comes off by removing the c-clip and unscrewing the big silver set screw under the front of the receiver. The 8 torx screws on the collector are a pain to get off, but with a good quality torx driver (get a ratcheting one or socket wrench style if you can), and a vise or someone strong to hold onto the barrel, they will come off. You can put the new on and use some red locktite on the screws. Make sure both the collector and barrel are clean where they meet, because there appear to be some gas holes under the collector. The old gas collector did not fit onto the new piston assembly, so it's an all or none deal with that kit. On a positive note, the parts appear to be hardened and chromed/polished, and supposed to resist corrosion unlike the old style one. The kit worked like a new rifle after installation.

I hope the eight torx screws will come off before the inside of the screws start to "round off". I will do as you recommend (good quality tool and vise) but from your experiece it seems doable.

I have one more question. Do you know the functionality/purpose of the little setscrew near the inlet-hole of the gas collector? I suppose it stays in place during mounting of the collector?. (picture)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2458[/ATTACH]

I don't know if the set screw has any functionality or not, but I think mine was turned out a little bit where the one in the picture looks like it's turned in all the way. I didn't remove it, just left everything the way it came. At a minimum, I would set it the same as the one in your old collector is set. It might have acted as an alignment pin, but I really can't remember. I really didn't do a lot of tinkering - I just removed the old parts and installed the new ones. Also, your concerns about stripping the torx screws is valid. They do come out, but not easily. You might want to consider soaking them in some pb blaster or other screw removal solution to help.

I will post some info/experience when the job is done. I have all parts except the BARREL LOCK FOLLOWER ASSEMBLY which is on the way to me. The new parts appear inded to be more hardened and will resist to corrosion much better.

Planetcat, thanks for your support.

• 4 weeks later...

I am new to Benelli rifles but they seem to have alot in common with the shotguns except the ARGO rather than the inertia system.

If you would be kind enough to post some good pics of the process as you go it would no doubt be a big help to others as well as for me.

Thanks for considering.

• 2 weeks later...

It took me longer than expected. All parts were replaced succesfully without problems (it is also necessary to replace the gas collector as the inside IS different and adapted to the new cylinder and guide pin). THe most time consuming is to remove the red paint from the eight screws holding the collector to the barrel. This was done with aceton and ear-sticks + a needle to remove the paint out of the torx-groves. Before to unscrew the screws, they were heated to about 300°F to weaken the loctide (I used a hot air-gun but a propane torch can also be used). Using a good quality torx handle immediately after heating the screws came out without problem. The other parts of the kit were replaced in less than 10 minutes and now the ARGO is an ARGO E (endurance).

The little setscrew on the collector is used to keep the inside in place.

For the info also a picture of the partsof the update kit and a 3th picture showing the damaged parts.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2522[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]2523[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]2524[/ATTACH]

Edited by FONZ
new updated info

• 6 years later...

I was wondering if the new piston kit would be an improvement over the old one. I am not too happy about forking over more money after spending over a grand for a rifle that should has had only 160 rds fired and it's all corroded. I think it will function again now that the piston group is cleaned but the piston is pretty pitted so I don't want to take a chance. If you ask me this is a factory flaw and should be repaired at Benelli's expense It failed me while aiming at an elk at 200 yards what if it was a angry wounded Grizzly or Moose someone could get killed.

I Emailed them early in the week and asked if the new piston is improved and if it will corrold like the one and they have not replied. 

• 3 months later...

I ordered a replacement cylinder plunger piston (because the build up was ugly) and the porting on the new cylinder was different than my R1 so I ordered a complete gas system kit and the piston ports on the cylinder in the kit was similar but the throat of the cylinder was different.  I have a 30-06 caliber R1.  Benelli, which cylinder pin is the most up to date and appropriate for my rifle?  There is zero information on the web about this.  A service advisory on this would be an excellent service for your loyal clients.  I want to install a new pin.  Which one do I install?????

48B2D092-AAF7-4A7C-A492-9C0A3D20A580.jpeg