lazer practice

OrangeMarine

Anyone try the lazer bullet practicing systems? what do you think? bang worth the buck?

http://www.cabelas.com/product/LaserLyte-Trainer-Cartridge/1341940.uts?productVariantId=3088089&WT.tsrc=CSE&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=03367205&rid=40&channel=GoogleBaseUSA&mr:trackingCode=716F2FC4-6BB6-E111-8DC4-001B21631C34&mr:referralID=NA&mr:device=c&mr:adType=pla&mr:ad=30640536911&mr:keyword&mr:match&mr:filter=58017979871&gclid=CPOWmaK547sCFWRBQgodDXUADw&gclsrc=aw.ds

there are others but thats just the one I pulled for example. Also, I believe Wal-mart has implemented a new rule of 3 boxes per customer to help with their stock issues. The Wal-mart near me has consistently had just about every ammo normally in stock the past few weeks i've been looking around.

Been looking at a number of such systems lately.

Looked at OCATS.com today as well because it also does live fire as well, which is a neat feature. Disadvantage being is that it's not as likely to be setup and ready at home for quick training sessions.

Depending on what you are doing - fundamental trigger controls, or specific weapon training, you may also need a trainer pistol so that you are not constantly working the action to reset your hammer, etc.

That's a separate cost if you want/need the trainer pistol.

These type of devices work pretty well to assist your early training in drawing and bringing your muzzle up on target as your breaking the shot, where your eyes are looking....however, since the laser is in the bore when your sights are set up correctly, you will not see the laser dot, therefore you begin to "peek around" your front sight to see if the dot is there as you are pulling the trigger.....it is!....so, if you do it too much you begin to re-focus your eyes and re-train to look around the sight to see the "reward" of your training....ie. the nice red dot very near your intended front sight POI.

The front sight becomes less and less clear as one begins to concentrate on what the laser dot is doing. This is a really bad habit to get into because you begin to rely on seeing the laser impact with you primary focus instead of with your peripheral vision. The feedback you are getting from the laser dot should be the same as the feedback from the front sight. If the front sights and its alignment with the rear sight changes as the hammer or striker contacts, you know you have a problem. As long as you practice with keeping the front sight clearly in focus through out the entire cycle you should not develop any bad habits. However if you do that and learn to call your shot instantly based on the sight picture at ignition you will not need the laser.

In short, it can lead to bad habits in training the subconscious mind ........you only want correct repetition to imprint the subconscious mind.

I found it worked fine when drawn from the holster.

LaserLyteLT-Pro_zpsd09a04e1.png

Edited by benelliwerkes

Agree with benelliwerks regarding proper use of the front sight. However, it's not always possible to acquire the front sight. IMHO lasers are great for training without sights ...as in point-shooting. IE nighttime (sans flashlight), and close-up when life hinges on a fraction of a second. My $0.02 FWIW.

Agree with benelliwerks regarding proper use of the front sight. However, it's not always possible to acquire the front sight. IMHO lasers are great for training without sights ...as in point-shooting. IE nighttime (sans flashlight), and close-up when life hinges on a fraction of a second. My $0.02 FWIW.

I don't want to incite a discourse on various shooting philosophies, however allow me say this about that.

The first sentence sounds like you would agree with me.........thereafter, we depart in philosophy.

Except at emergent contact distance engagement, it is always possible to see a front sight and not point shoot; point shooting is not faster and certainly not more accurate, especially with target transitions where point-shooting methods expose their faults....the well-known Bill Drill illustrates the point.

At night, training to see the front sight silhouetted by muzzle flash or ambient light allows one to engage targets accurately and fast out to 25 yards and beyond.

It is a matter of training your subconscious mind to see the front sight, every time.

I am a long time disciple of Bill Rogers reaction time shooting methods and train at his school several times a year in various weapon disciplines (shotgun, carbine, pistol).

Bill has had some of the best point-shooters in the world attend his classes and they quickly realize that the sub-second target presentation speeds of his course, one cannot accurately point shoot with multiple target arrays at various distances.

Edited by benelliwerkes