problem with new montefeltro

kadeyoung6

Hey All,

I just purchased my first shotgun (a Montefeltro), however out of the box (I have yet to put a round through it) I am having difficulties pulling back the bolt when the safety is ON. The bolt will slide back easily and normally when the safety is OFF, however with the safety ON, the bolt gets about half way back and meets a lot of resistance. I can push back and forth quite a bit and finally get the bolt back with a good amount of force. I have taken the trigger assembly out, the bolt out and reassembled the gun but it has the same issue. Anyone know what it could be or am I looking at calling Benelli and shipping her back?

If you're cocking the hammer while doing this, quit doing it that way. Take the trigger mechanism out and look the interface between the trigger and hammer and how they work together. When the hammer is cocked and held in place by the mating surfaces on the hammer and the trigger, when the safety is on, it will not release the hammer. When the safety is off, the trigger is free to move and release the hammer. When the gun cycles, the rearward movement of the bolt brings the hammer back to be captured by the disconnector. When you release the trigger the disconnector releases the hammer and the hammer is re-captured by the trigger "sear". If you put the safety on when the hammer has been released and try to re-cock the hammer, the trigger is held tight by the safety button and the hammer doesn't want to slide back over the trigger mechanism. Yes, you can force it back. And put additional stress on the trigger and hammer pins by doing so. Once it has been cocked the bolt should move back and forth with ease even with the safety on since you are no longer overcoming that force necessary to force the hammer into position on the trigger. If the hammer is cocked and the bolt isn't moving easily to the rear with the safety on, that's something altogether different. Bottom line: Don't cock the hammer with the safety on.

Edited by truckcop

After reading your post, I went downstairs and tried pulling the bolt back with the safety both on and off. There was ABSOLUTELY NO difference. I tried it various ways and it pulled back the same way every time. It sounds like something is either hitting or dragging. I would probably take the gun back where you got it and have them try another for you.

I put a snap cap in my new Monty and dry fired it to relieve the spring pressure before breaking it down to clean it at a later date. I managed to jam the bolt mechanism trying to seat the barrel back onto the receiver. I should have left it cocked and opened the bolt using the release with the gun on safety...kinda what the manual says. I don't use snap caps anymore or dry fire (for that matter) before breaking down to clean. It was operator error on my part that caused my problem.

It probably has nothing to do with the OP's problem.

Edited by DragonNester