922r Newbie Question re: Benelli M2

Capt_C

I searched briefly for "922r" to see if I could find any info regarding application to an M2 instead of M4.

It appears the 922r nonsense applies only to the M4... True?

Do I need to play this dumb game to add a +5 magazine extension to an M2 field gun?

--CC

The 10 part thing or 922r compliance is only if you modify the shotgun into a non-sporting configuration. If the shotgun only has 1 of those 4 features above it is still considered usable for sporting purposes and can be imported. 922r says you can't change an imported shotgun into a non-importable configuration, meaning having 2 or more of those features. If you have fewer than 10 of the major imported parts on your gun it is no longer considered an imported gun and you can add all the features you like. This is all how I understand it.

922r

(a) No person shall assemble a semiautomatic rifle or any shotgun using more than 10 of the imported parts listed in paragraph © of this section if the assembled firearm is prohibited from importation under section 925(d)(3) as not being particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes.

925(d)(3) is the importation regulation I listed above. If you add an extended mag tube to a regular stocked Benelli that would not bar it from importation so you can add it after importation.

You can't have more than 10 of these original parts imported on a non-compliant shotgun. Benelli's do not have all 20 parts listed here to begin with, so if you change a few out with US made parts you can have a pistol grip, extended tube, and telescoping stock if you want.

(1) Frames, receivers, receiver castings, forgings or stampings

(2) Barrels

(3) Barrel extensions

(4) Mounting blocks (trunions)

(5) Muzzle attachments

(6) Bolts

(7) Bolt carriers

(8) Operating rods

(9) Gas pistons

(10) Trigger housings

(11) Triggers

(12) Hammers

(13) Sears

(14) Disconnectors

(15) Buttstocks

(16) Pistol grips

(17) Forearms, handguards

(18) Magazine bodies

(19) Followers

(20) Floorplates

It seems there are always many answers on this subject, and I am never sure who knows what they are talking about. But I did research specifically with the people building specialty parts for the Benelli M2. The M2 does not have as many parts to worry about as the M4. I put a Nordic extension on my M2 Tactical, and the changed the Benelli Pisiol grip stock to the Mesa and installed a Freedom Fighters tactical follower.

-An M4 has 13 parts, three or more must be replaced, (four if the Benelli collapsable stock is installed, the C stock counts as two parts.)

-An M2 has 12 parts, two or more must be replaced, (three if the Benelli collapsable stock is installed. the C stock counts as two parts.)

-An M4 has 13 parts, three or more must be replaced, (four if the Benelli collapsable stock is installed, the C stock counts as two parts.)

-An M2 has 12 parts, two or more must be replaced, (three if the Benelli collapsable stock is installed. the C stock counts as two parts.)

2 was my guide, so after adding the Nordic extension, I added the Msa Pistol grip / stock, and the Freedom tactical follower. So, I believe that is Ok.

Thanks to ALL of you. I plan to keep the 'field' butt stock and standard forearm on my M2... just want to add an extension to the magazine to take the mag-tube out to the muzzle of my 21-in barrel. I have several of those evil black rifles with the 'tactical' pistol grip, and have no problem with it, but I prefer the standard field stock on a shotgun (at least for now). --CC