M4 Entry - New gun or barrel for "regular" M4

Scout_21

So I've had my M4 for over a year and love it. But it can be a bit tricky to maneuver in thick willows in Alaska for bear defense.

###Digression - Yeah yeah I know all about medium/large bore rifles vs. heavy revolvers vs. shotguns but my department still recommends shotguns for bear persuasion/defense so I carry my M4 instead of a rem 870. We've found that proper camping and hiking techniques generally prevent MOST (but not all) bear issues.###

Now that's out of the way I'm just seeking some thoughts getting a barrel for my M4 or purchasing a new entry M4 (if I can find one)

Thanks for any help!

Can your dept order either an entry gun or barrel for you?

If not, here is a pricey option:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=390279422

Sadly no...we're not tasked with enforcing laws so there are no peace officers. Thanks for the link...I saw that but I'll wait until a member on this forums has one or a much more reasonable price comes up. At $1300 I might as well just get an 18.5" barrel cut for me....sigh.

You can get the barrel for roughly $850, and then would have the tax plus engraving. The entry guns are available and usually cost $1800-$2000 plus xfer & tax. I have an entry model w/ C-Stock but also have an extra 18.5" barrel & full-length mag if I want to put it into a non-NFA config for any reason.

Ah yes...the engraving. I'm not sure how I feel about that. I have no plans on ever selling my M4....but it would be nice to keep it as "stock" as possible. I like having it as an 18.5" shotgun for general shooting but in the thickets it just gets annoying. I suppose a bullpup remington 870 mod would be possible. But then I give up the semiauto....and I trust the semiauto function of my M4....decisions decisions.

Ah yes...the engraving. I'm not sure how I feel about that. I have no plans on ever selling my M4....but it would be nice to keep it as "stock" as possible. I like having it as an 18.5" shotgun for general shooting but in the thickets it just gets annoying. I suppose a bullpup remington 870 mod would be possible. But then I give up the semiauto....and I trust the semiauto function of my M4....decisions decisions.

You can avoid the engraving only if you buy a factory entry.

In that way, Benelli made it and it already has the engravings required.

Sadly no...we're not tasked with enforcing laws so there are no peace officers. Thanks for the link...I saw that but I'll wait until a member on this forums has one or a much more reasonable price comes up. At $1300 I might as well just get an 18.5" barrel cut for me....sigh.

I have a NIB Entry Barrel I bought for my M4 for the same purpose as you. I have $900 in it if you are interested

You can avoid the engraving only if you buy a factory entry.

In that way, Benelli made it and it already has the engravings required.

This is why every SBR I have bought and will buy is a factory SBR. I got to looking for an SBS M4, but the cheapest I found in stock was $3K, and screw that. It's a $2K shotgun. Not paying more just for the CDI factor and because it's rare.

This is why every SBR I have bought and will buy is a factory SBR. I got to looking for an SBS M4, but the cheapest I found in stock was $3K, and screw that. It's a $2K shotgun. Not paying more just for the CDI factor and because it's rare.

I have one SBR that is not possible as a factory, as this company (FN) does not offer SBRs in this platform to civi. And since all LE/Military builds are Select Fire, you can never get a factory SBR. :(

That one I have engraved.

Here's a trick though. You can name your trust appropriately. For example you can name your trust LEO, just as an example. If your trust paperwork is setup properly in that the official and complete name is LEO, you do not have to have LEO TRUST engraved on your firearm. Just LEO and the City State. Lessens the issue, for me at least.

I have one SBR that is not possible as a factory, as this company (FN) does not offer SBRs in this platform to civi. And since all LE/Military builds are Select Fire, you can never get a factory SBR. :(

That one I have engraved.

Here's a trick though. You can name your trust appropriately. For example you can name your trust LEO, just as an example. If your trust paperwork is setup properly in that the official and complete name is LEO, you do not have to have LEO TRUST engraved on your firearm. Just LEO and the City State. Lessens the issue, for me at least.

FN cannot sell any firearms to the public using the TDP. Any FN firearm sold to the public is FN's rendering of the customer's specs. For this reason, I have not pursued any M4 type weapons "from FN".

That said, I just don't want to deal with engravings. It lessens value if I rip it off the NFA list and sell it. I was a hair away from doing that with a Noveske factory SBR Gen II lower when they called me and offered to make everything right, so yes, it can/does matter to me.

Mainly though, I don't trust very many people with things like engravings. I'm OCD and like in-tact aluminum (notice the ZERO qualms I had about you re-cerakoting the parts, regardless of wait? They work perfectly, by the way! Thank-you again! I simply have not had time to play with my M1014 lately, and when I went up to look at the land I had bought, I didn't shoot A SINGLE ROUND, I was so busy painting off property lines, camping, etc. and just in the last week thought of a good place to actually go shooting on my property, given that it's on the side of a mountain.)

That said, if you want to make everyone just love you, go burn the $1K a year to maintain an SOT and get some post '86 samples for us to drool over!