Benelli Ethos questions

Macfly

Hey all. Had to do it. Cabelas had a 28" nickel. And now they have one less.

wont be able to shoot it for awhile but had a few questions for anyone who hasone or who has been able to play.

All info i have seen states this is a 4+1 but i am only able to get two 2 3/4shells in the mag + 1 in the chamber. I alos dont seem to be able to ghost load it like my M4.

am I missing something obvious?

It does hold 4 in mag, 1 loaded. The gun comes equipped with a "waterfowl plug" in the front of the magazine so it is waterfowl "legal"... only three rounds. The plug is easily removed to allow full magazine capacity. Twist off the magazine cap and the "plug" should be obvious, holding the gun securely, you should be able to turn it muzzle down and the plug may even just fall out.

It will not "ghost load" like your M4. Different design.

Nice gun, I'm sure you will enjoy it!

Hmmm. So taking off the plastic cap (like you are breaking the gun down) shows a metal rod that needs to be unscrewed using a wrench. This would lead to the magazine spring area. So are you saying i need to unscrew that piece to get to the spring and then i will find a plug?

sorry, i am a bit new to this.

No problem, after you unscrew the cap (as if you were going to remove the barrel and forend) you should be able to just tilt the gun, muzzle down, and you will notice an aluminum, flat ended rod that goes through the magazine screw - the part that the cap screws on too. The best description I can give of the part is it looks like an aluminum nail, without the point.

A little shake and the rod or plug should move out slightly and all you need to do is grab it with your fingers and pull. It is much simpler than I am making it sound.

This is what the rod looks like...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2518[/ATTACH]

Hope that helps!

I tried to look up some diagrams on the Ethos but wasn't successful. The Nova has the tension-spring-cap inside the magazine tube like the M4, and the plug is held against the inner surface of the spring-cap in by the magazine coil spring. The plug actually runs through the spring-cap (1" maybe) with a shoulder to hold the coil spring on one side and rest on the spring-cap. Using some spring clip pliers or needle nose, the spring cap can be squeezed and the whole thing pops out, and the plug can be removed and spring replaced and held in place by the spring-cap. Wish you had some pics of it.

Thanks guys. This is my first "waterfowl" gun so have never seen a round limiter. Came out just by tilting with a little shake! You described it perfectly. I was thinking this was some kind of plug that had to be installed infront of the spring or something.

Edited by Macfly

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...
Its called learning. But great you were born knowing everything about every machine you own

I'll say this, I just got a Sport 2 also and the procedure from removing the magazine plug is very different than from the Super Black Eagle -- it has a plastic plug that you have to remove a lock-spring to get the thing out of the tube. The Sport you just unscrew the cap and take the "silver nail" out of the threaded tube you just unscrewed the cap from. Very different and at first mystifying that there is no spring-thing to remove first to access the magazine tube.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Removing that limiter plug is so simple it defies logic. At first glance the limiter plug's head looks like the top of the screw head on top of the magazine. Not so! That screw head is hollow. Just remove the barrel, flip the receiver upside down and the skinny silver aluminum plug will fall out - careful, the bolt will do the same. NO WRENCH REQUIRED. If you're grabbing a tool to do this, you're doing it wrong. Benelli made this easy, almost too easy... They made this process so easy they forgot to even put it in the manual. Seems like a major omission for something supposedly designed for upland folks.

Edited by JOnes120423

• 4 months later...