Fix a ding on rib?

jrmichael

I just got a brand new Legacy. Beautiful gun!!! Only had it out of the box for thirty minutes, and I accidently bumped it against one of my other guns. Now I have a shiny ding on the top the sighting rib. Is there a way I can get rid of this shiny ding on my beautiful new gun? Bluing, or something?

Cold blue works pretty good, but it only works on steel. Some brand names are Birchwood Casey (available at Wal-Mart) and Oxpho Blue.

If the ding is on aluminum, Birchwood Casey makes a product called Aluminum Black that works well.

Follow the directions. Clean surfaces are important.

Tim

Is my rib aluminum, or steel like the barrel? I tried the bluing, and it helped a little, but the ding is still quite noticable. It's like three of the tiny little ridges on the rib got flattened out. I'm thinking it's a softer material than steel, or the ridges wouldn't have flattened so easily. So, perhaps the rib is aluminum, and maybe I should try the Aluminum Black?

The ridges are steel, but the design makes them thin and therefore succeptible to damage such as you've incurred.

One thing I don't like about my SBEII is the way the cuts on the rib run crossways (a ***** (female dog) to clean) and the way they are so thin, like fins.

[ 02-11-2005, 10:51 AM: Message edited by: tucker301 ]