m3 owners

JohnO

The M3 is a very different system from the M2. Some major points:

-The M3 is "Inline Inertia" operated, whereas the M2 recoil spring is tilted along the axis of the barrel.

-M2 is lighter than the M3. However the recoil is different.

-Spare parts in the U.S.A. for the M3 are more difficult and expensive to obtain.

-M2 is not dedicated to a sole purpose; it can be configured to 3-Gun, Zombies:cool:, Home Defense, Law Enforcement, Target Shooting, Clays, Hunting, and anything else related to shotguns. The M3 is very difficult to shoot clays and 3-gun with, the heaviness and how the weight is distributed is the issue.

-Switching into different modes on the M3 is pretty straight forward to me, but many people complain about the complexity.

What many people fail to learn is that if you switch into the other mode every other shot (while doing some extraordinary mall operator training) you are gonna confuse yourself. This will lead to you leaving the bolt out of battery or ejecting an unfired round. (and I have seen a Benelli Representative misuse the mode switching)

If you are not concerned about the weight, then do the trade.

The M3 is a very different system from the M2. Some major points:

-The M3 is "Inline Inertia" operated, whereas the M2 recoil spring is tilted along the axis of the barrel.

-M2 is lighter than the M3. However the recoil is different.

-Spare parts in the U.S.A. for the M3 are more difficult and expensive to obtain.

-M2 is not dedicated to a sole purpose; it can be configured to 3-Gun, Zombies:cool:, Home Defense, Law Enforcement, Target Shooting, Clays, Hunting, and anything else related to shotguns. The M3 is very difficult to shoot clays and 3-gun with, the heaviness and how the weight is distributed is the issue.

-Switching into different modes on the M3 is pretty straight forward to me, but many people complain about the complexity.

What many people fail to learn is that if you switch into the other mode every other shot (while doing some extraordinary mall operator training) you are gonna confuse yourself. This will lead to you leaving the bolt out of battery or ejecting an unfired round. (and I have seen a Benelli Representative misuse the mode switching)

If you are not concerned about the weight, then do the trade.

The weight does not bother me. I just want to make sure I would not be trading a great SG for trouble

Personally, I'd keep the M2. The advantages of the M3 are primarily LE/mil advantages, i.e., ability to utilize non-lethal/lethal/gas/etc. in the same platform. A home defense situation would not really be one that would benefit from such a capability. You're not going to be launching bean bags or plastic buckshot unless that's going to be your primary HD round, in which case, get a used police trade-in 870 for 250 bucks. Unless you're going to put a ton of range time into training for transitions between the different type of rounds, stick with one type and go with that.

Just to expand on what truckcop said, the M3 has the ability to be both pump and semi auto because many of the less lethal rounds don't have enough oomph to cycle a semi auto. Not very practical for civilians, which is why you don't see them very much. The M2 is the superlative choice between the two.

A small point of order; the "inertia" spring system is contained within the bolt in the Benelli inertia systems, NOT the recoil return spring system, either contained within the recoil tube attached to the receiver concealed within the buttstock (M1 / M2) or parallel to the magazine tube (M3). All the Benelli inertia systems are "in-line" with the barrel, as the bolt is in-line with the barrel.

Screenshot2014-03-23at75413PM_zpsedfa5867.png

Edited by benelliwerkes