Recoil

bergie257

I bought my first Benelli last week, shot it over the weekend. Inspite of the "comfort tech" recoil system, it "kicked" more than I felt it should, even using light loads. Several of my friends shot the gun and agreed with me. I planed on taking it to South America on on a dove hunt where I would shoot 3-4 cases a day. My shoulder hurts just thinking about using my M2 for that long a shooting session. Can anyone help?

Due to the intensity and sheer volume of shells usually fired on the South American dove shoots, many people do not use a 12 ga, they tone it down to 20 ga.

If that is not an option, I would recommend a thick recoil pad that you wear over your shoulder (perhaps reinforced with an armored metallic plate :D ).

Dove shoots are also very intense on the gun itself, thus if you take a lesser gun, you run the risk of it breaking down on the field. Some people take more than 1 gun just in case.

I have gone out and shot 300 rounds through my sbe or my sbe2 and my m1 over the years and shot in a t-shirt with no problems one time I swapped with a friends browning gold hunter and on light loads neither of us could tell the difference

I will admit the sbe2 is a reduced recoil

I have allready put about 2000 round though my sbe2 and just love it

David

Thanks for all your well though out advice. I have taken all of it under consideration. I spoke with the folks at Brownells, and have ordered a mercury recoil reducer for the forend. I hope it fits, if not I am told I can send it back. The only "IF" in this deal is if the forend cap on the M1 is the same size as the M2. Any thoughts?

Originally posted by gepineda:

Due to the intensity and sheer volume of shells usually fired on the South American dove shoots, many people do not use a 12 ga, they tone it down to 20 ga.

If that is not an option, I would recommend a thick recoil pad that you wear over your shoulder (perhaps reinforced with an armored metallic plate :D ).

Dove shoots are also very intense on the gun itself, thus if you take a lesser gun, you run the risk of it breaking down on the field. Some people take more than 1 gun just in case.

This is a left handed M2. I was hoping that the "comfort tech" recoil system would make the 12g. shoot a little easier, but I was wrong. If I cannot solve this problem, I will have to use the 20. 1100 that I used on my last trip to Argentina. Remington guns just don't seem to hold up under the "hot barrel" shooting conditions. We took six Remingtons down on the last trip, five broke after three days of shooting 9-10 cases per day. The Brownings and Benellis held up well.

The first time we went to Argentina on a dove shoot we took six Remington 1100 20g. to shoot. Five ended up broken. Springs and various parts snaped. The fork that works one of the weapons in the stock melted do to the heat of the hot barrell shoot. The only guns that worked well were the Brownings, Barettas and Benellis. You are right, 20g. is the caliber of choice. However, there are no left handed 20g. semi's out there. So, I'm stuck with a 12g.

Originally posted by bergie257:

I received my recoil reducer in the mail from Brownell's two days after I ordered it. Great service!! The device fits perfectally on my M2. I'll try it this weekend and let you know the results. Here's hoping it works!

I shot a round of skeet using the M2 with the mercury recoil reducer. The thing works! The shotgun is much more comfortable to shoot with the reducer than without. I still think I will get a better recoil pad, Kick Eze type, and THICK!

you cannot get a aftermarket pad because of the way the pads on the M2/SBE2/Nova attach. They are all press fit instead of screw on.

My buddies who go told me to get a PAST pad.

Have you had any luck with shooting gloves that old up more than a day? Some guys told me to take Vaseline and put it on your face where the gun touches to prevent it from rubbing raw.