Supernova for Turkey?

werewolf won

I own a Vinci with a 28” barrel in Max4. It serves mainly as my crow and duck gun. I discovered turkey hunting last season and fell in love with it. I used the Vinci but it was a lot of gun and seemed oddly colored in the green spring woods.

I am considering a 24” barrel Supernova pump with a steady grip stock as a coyote and turkey gun. Am I talking myself into something I really do not need? I can dump ducks with steel out of a 3” gun, I assume a turkey with 3” lead will not be an issue. The magazines all read that the long barrel is a detriment in the timber, but I really did not find it that bad. I have never used a pump, and I imagine those 3-1/2” road flare shells are going to kick like army mules.

Thanks

Jon

It's totally up to you, but the Vinci that you own will do the trick, nicely. The 12ga. 3" shell is plenty big enough to kill gobblers. They shoot them every day with smaller gauges. As far as the oddly colored, Vinci, that doesn't matter either. Not everything in the woods is the same color. There are too many people out there that think if their pants camo doesn't match their shirt, they will never kill a bird. Unless you want to spend your money, use what you've got. It will work.

But, with that being said... A guy can never have enough guns!!

I like my Vinci, a lot, just cannot justify another one with a 4” shorter tube and green paint for the short turkey season we have here. While I am not a fan of pump guns, I would buy a Benelli one before a Remington Semi Auto. Does Benelli offer a more entry level priced Semi Auto?

I killed a bunch of turkeys with my old 870 with 2-3/4" loads, highly polished bluing, and glossy walnut furniture.

My dad and his brother killed them when they were kids while wearing blue jeans and plaid shirts.

Be still, smart, and patient. Move when the bird can't see you. I use a box call, requiring both hands most of the time.

I'll put the call down and bring the gun up when the bird passes behind a big tree or when I know he's committed.

Don't sweat the color of your gun.

Heck, I've killed plenty of birds in the Fall while decked out in enough blaze orange to show up on Google Earth.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...
On 3/28/2014 at 4:19 PM, werewolf won said:

I own a Vinci with a 28” barrel in Max4. It serves mainly as my crow and duck gun. I discovered turkey hunting last season and fell in love with it. I used the Vinci but it was a lot of gun and seemed oddly colored in the green spring woods.

I am considering a 24” barrel Supernova pump with a steady grip stock as a coyote and turkey gun. Am I talking myself into something I really do not need? I can dump ducks with steel out of a 3” gun, I assume a turkey with 3” lead will not be an issue. The magazines all read that the long barrel is a detriment in the timber, but I really did not find it that bad. I have never used a pump, and I imagine those 3-1/2” road flare shells are going to kick like army mules.

Thanks

Jon

I love my Turkey gun

CXRU1304.JPG

IMG_0120.JPG

IMG_1585.JPG

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...