Supernova Tactical - Magazine extension problem

JoeP

Hi Guys -

I just bought my first SG, a supernova tactical. I put a nordic components magazine extension on it (+2) and for the life of me cannot get it to work. I used the spring that came with the kit, I cut it down some per the instructions. I cannot get the +2 shells into the magazine. It will load four, just fine, number 5 will go in, but the little catch that keeps the shells in the tube won't engage. It feels like everything is bottomed out. There is NO way I could get a 2nd additional shell in the mag.

I went and put the stock spring in, thinking maybe the spring that came with the kit was still to long and rather than start blindly cutting, thought I would try the stock spring first. Made no different. I still can only get four rounds in the magazine.

Does anyone know what might be going on? Thanks all!

As I understand your problem, the extension made no difference in the number of shells you can insert in the magazine tube. If that is correct, I have a hunch. You advise this is your first shotgun so I'm going to go out on a limb here. Take a look at the second photo in this link: http://shootnoshoot.wordpress.com/2011/03/07/gear-review-nordic-components-2-magazine-tube-extension/

Just under the spring in that photo there's a round thing called the spring retainer that was in the end of the magazine tube and you probably had to take out with a pair of needle nose pliers. When you put the gun back together with the Nordic stuff, did you re-install that spring retainer in the end of the magazine tube?

If you didn't install that retainer, then there's obviously a problem somewhere else. I only ask because we've been here before so I usually go to the simple explanation first.

Hi Truckcop -

Yep, I reassembled everything back as it came out, spring retainer and all. The only thing I can think of at this point, is that the follower (I think that is the correct term) is getting hung up at the point were the extension is screwed on. Maybe there is a little ledge or something inside that isn't completely flush and the follower can't get past it to allow for the +2.

Still confused...

Hi Truckcop -

Yep, I reassembled everything back as it came out, spring retainer and all.

Well, assuming you put it right back where you found it at the end of the mag tube on the gun, there's your problem. Pull that spring retainer out. It's a tight fit in the end of the magazine tube and it's designed to keep the spring from shooting your eye out when you take the magazine cap off. If you re-install it in the end of the magazine tube you haven't changed the tube capacity and it doesn't have the ability to move forward into the additional capacity of the extension. Take the retainer out, put your spring back in the tube, screw the Nordic extension back on and you'll be good to go. Unless, that is, you cut the spring too short when you were making your adjustments. Cross that bridge when you come to it.

Edited by truckcop
  • Upvote 1

I think I got it. I didn't realize that all the stuff at the end of the spring was for the "duck" plug. I thought that was to keep the spring from getting "tangled" up in the magazine (like a spring guide). . Live and learn. Thanks for the help.

Edited by JoeP

• 5 years later...