Beretta 1301...

Unobtanium

This little guy has popped up on the radar, and seems pretty interesting. Especially if you don't need 9 round capacity (mag tubes are available for it, though, but barrel length limits you to 8-9 rounds probably, still.)

Anyway, some things caught my eye:

-Hammer-forged, chrome lined barrel with fixed choke (CYL).

To me, this is a good thing. I can get fixed choke M1014 current .mil issue barrels for an M4, but they are not cheap. I do not run chokes in defensive shotguns. Period.

-Just a hair over six and a half pounds.

This is almost a pound lighter than the M4S90, even with a Ti mag-tube, and over a pound lighter as they both come from the factory.

-Oversize bolt-release and handle

It comes stock, that's nice. Both seem pretty well thought out.

-Gas Operated

The whole reason the M1014 exists is because the Benelli ID system wouldn't hack it with extra gear hanging off of it, as well as it being somewhat more sensitive to how you held it---easier to limp-wrist, so the gas/piston system of the M1014 came about. The gas/piston system on the 1301 is very different from the M1014, but Beretta is claiming it goes 10K rounds between cleanings, and it will cycle low-recoil ammo. My M1014s have been VERY forgiving, but they will not do 8-pelled AND reduced-recoil ammo...pick 1, 8 pellets, or low brass. Not both. This...might do both? Also...10K rounds between cleanings. That sounds on-par with the M1014, and we have the same operating system ("BLINK") being used in Beretta's other guns, which are not known for taking a dump like the FN SLP system, nor do they require swapping pistons to shoot various loads, etc. either.

-Alloy receiver and polymer trigger-guard.

It has an alloy receiver with the same type LPA sights as the M4. The trigger guard, however, is polymer vs, aluminum. To me, this is a moot difference. The Remington 870 trigger-guard debate solved this one years ago, in case you haven't followed it. If you're worried about part of the weapon being polymer, consider that both have polymer stocks and handguards and that Magpul has been making polymer trigger-guards for M4's for a long time, now, and I've never EVER heard of one breaking even during abnormal use.

-Furniture/ergos

13" LOP...'nuff said!

I especially like the safety location. THAT is something they just NAILED!

Anyway, functionally, the real difference comes down to their operating systems, and capacity. A LOT of people with "names" are buying these. Industry reps from Magpul Dynamics, MD Roberts, Brian Enos' forum is torn UP with threads about the 1301 Competition model, etc.

It really seems to be making a splash. I'm curious if anyone here has hands-on/thoughts?

For $1,000 on the street, it really seems to offer a lot!

I agree that barrel without chokes are superior for this role. Beretta manufactures barrel blanks for Benelli so quality is the same.

But bear in mind the picitanny rail and ghost ring sight base are plastic.

So are glock frames.

Still...that's how they arrived at their

Interestingly, I believe that Beretta is who you call to discuss military/LE Benelli products, IIRC from a year or three ago.

Regardless, how did Beretta decide that a TX4 was worth $1600 in 2010 and now a 1301 is worth $1000? Only a few changes but in reality they are same gun underneath.

Take a closer look at the Ghost ring base, it is a different shape with a more rounded profile. It does not have LPA on the right side either.

Regardless, how did Beretta decide that a TX4 was worth $1600 in 2010 and now a 1301 is worth $1000? Only a few changes but in reality they are same gun underneath.

Take a closer look at the Ghost ring base, it is a different shape with a more rounded profile. It does not have LPA on the right side either.

Unsure on the sights as I have not handled one, only spoken to those who have.

As to price, I find that less offensive than Benelli saying the same M4S90 was worth $1599 in 2010, and $1899 today.

Unsure on the sights as I have not handled one, only spoken to those who have.

As to price, I find that less offensive than Benelli saying the same M4S90 was worth $1599 in 2010, and $1899 today.

I agree that is absurd of Benelli, but everything has increased in price today. The biggest spike being Sandy Hook between 2010- today.

But you pointed out that the M4 was cheaper before, and I am stating the TX4 was more expensive than the 1301; makes me wonder how many corners were cut/what pointless stuff was added to the TX4.

I agree that is absurd of Benelli, but everything has increased in price today. The biggest spike being Sandy Hook between 2010- today.

But you pointed out that the M4 was cheaper before, and I am stating the TX4 was more expensive than the 1301; makes me wonder how many corners were cut/what pointless stuff was added to the TX4.

Maybe it's volume related? The blink and x400 production etc. Or maybe it's based on some change of manufacturing location and tariff or something. I mean, the bcg and barrel and receiver are what they are. Same as the piston system. There really isn't much place to cheap out. I do know the 1301 has impressed a lot of people. Dr Gary roberts for one has used m1 and M2 and m4 shotguns and says hands down the 1301 is better. I have to go fondle one.

Whatever Beretta's decision may be, This should have been the TX4 of 2010. A hybrid of aggressive tacticool and 3-gun competition into one for under $1000.00. I will eventually pick one up and compare it to the M4.

Digging deeper, I found several things I don't like, but that are very acceptable at this price range, and likely will not be an issue. I would like to see more higher round-count guns before counting them against it well and truly, though. In another 1-2 years, I think 3-gun will expose any legit weaknesses of the platform, if they exist:

-Carrier welded to the rails of the action bars. file.php?id=381&sid=1d5416434753ad7778849230482a56b8

-Gas rings are very thin. A'la 1187. Those leaded up when slugs were used a good bit, I hear. Never owned one, always sticking with Benelli's.1028e0b2-8463-4766-8fa7-b6fb6cbe9bab_zpsd2ec2019.jpg

-Lots of stampings/pressed parts in the trigger group/latch.

Edited by Unobtanium

The 1301 is getting a lot of notice with the 3 Gun crowds. It seems to be a worthy challenger to the Benelli reign. I have a 21 inch M1 that I haven't shot, ever, and am now thinking of making it up to be a Home Defense and 3-Gun shotgun. I am also toying with the idea of trading it for a 1301.

Nalajr

The 1301 is getting a lot of notice with the 3 Gun crowds. It seems to be a worthy challenger to the Benelli reign. I have a 21 inch M1 that I haven't shot, ever, and am now thinking of making it up to be a Home Defense and 3-Gun shotgun. I am also toying with the idea of trading it for a 1301.

Nalajr

If they can't get them to break, the 1301 is going to be a real tour de force in its market segment.

Nothing wrong with stamped parts, heck the benelli Trigger guards are cheaply casted. I do not like the bolt welding, but it may be superior in strength to my M3. I think Beretta gave us a successful platform.

I won't argue it right now, but after 2-3 years on the 3-gun fields, I will refute or agree, based on evidence provided thereby.

I won't argue it right now, but after 2-3 years on the 3-gun fields, I will refute or agree, based on evidence provided thereby.

What you said.

I'm not against it in principle, but I'm going to let someone else do the testing and if it passes then I will probably pick one up.

• 2 years later...

I was looking at auto shotguns a year or so ago

Started with the Mossy 930 SPX -- Lots of issues there with QC and reliability

Then looked at Beretta 1301 -- Very interested, but there is some issue about reliability where they dump all their shells out or something like that. I was wanted the Beretta to be the one because I was starting Low $$$ and working up like we do

Next VersaMax -- Looked nice, but by this time the $$$ were getting up there, and every gun was being compared to the M4.

So I said, screw it and just bought the Benelli...

I wanted something that was good for HD, and the Beretta had me worried, there was something about the magazine locking up or ejecting shells or something bad.