Benelli M2 tactical, Can only get 4 rounds of 2 3/4 in magazine. Help ?

krusader

I recently bought a benelli m2 tactical, and I can only get 4 rounds in the tube, funny thing is, I could of sworn I had put 5 rounds in it before I cleaned it and reassembled but I could have imagined it. Anyway, I would appreciate any help or advice on this. I really like the gun and it works fine other than only holding 4 rounds.

A search of the forum will lead you to a number of discussion threads about varying lengths of shotgun shells, etc. The 2 3/4 length is the length of a fired shell. Different manufacturers use different crimping methods and different methods are used depending on the type of shell within the same manufacturer resulting in different OALs on loaded shells. Does the 5th shell go in most of the way but stop just short? Hardly goes in at all? A number of possibilities. Try a few different makes of shells as a first check.

Edited by truckcop

On my 14" M2 tactical entry, if I use S&B buckshot (12 pellet) I can only get 4 shells in the tube. If I use Federal (flight control, 9 pellet) buckshot or Slugs (true ball rifled) I can get 5 shells in the tube. All are advertised 2 3/4, but they are slightly different total length. But, it is very close with the S&B (just a hair short from fitting 5), definitely not only half a shell. Might be something not aligned properly? Is the spring seated inside the follower and spring seal ring?

krusader, I ask this only because it has been asked of others before and the answer ended up being the solution to the problem. You advise you recently purchased the gun but don't indicate whether it was new or used. When you took it apart to clean it, did the magazine tube contain an orange/red/other color plastic doohickey about 3 or 4 inches long? If so, did you put that back in the magazine tube when you reassembled the gun?

Something like this: http://www.eurooptic.com/standard-magazine-plug-fits-sbe-m1-sbe-ii-m2.aspx

Edited by truckcop