New Benellli M4 Failure to Feed and Eject

Lieb

Took my new Benelli M4 for a shoot at the range last week. Shot about 30 rounds of Fiocchi 00 2 3/4" Buckshot regular load through it. I was quite disappointed. After every two rounds it would fail to feed and about half as often it would fail to eject.

When I got home I stripped it down and did a thorough cleaning and light oiling. Then I returned to the range the next day to try it again. I had the same problem. Does anyone have suggestions as to why this is happening and what I should do to correct the problem. In it's current condition I could not count on it in a self defense situation.

I never had much luck with Fiocchi (though others may have) I've used remington, federal, and Hornady with no problems.

Is the failure to feed just a severe failure to eject or is the chamber left empty?

In either case your recoil spring may be a bit too stiff and I've head that leaving you bolt cocked back for a night or two can help...or just use some 3" shells to get that spring softened up.

The only feeding problem I had was when I used the wrong length of spring for an extended mag tube and the last round always got caught up. A complete idiot move on my part.

I'm sure other longer term forum member can give more thorough and/or accurate advice.

Cheers and best of luck!

First: Try different ammo. All kinds of different ammo. Then report back. If it's a gun issue, the problem would probably persist regardless of the ammo. If it works with other ammo, well . . . .

FWIW, Fiocchi (Crusher) is my ammo of choice for skeet/sporting clays out of my M1/M2's. Works like a charm. Never tried their buckshot out of my M4. For that one I use Federal. LE13200.

Get yourself 100 or so Federal Tru Ball slugs. The 1600 fps ones. Blast em all through, give it a cleaning and then go back to the Fiocci and give it another try.

The first ammo I shot through mine was all heavy stuff and I've never had an issue.

The action brand new is like night and day compared to what it is like once you've put several hundred rounds through it so whether anyone confirms there is an "official break in period" or not, I say there is.

Get some full strength slugs and shoot em for a couple of trips and you'll be shooting skeet before you know it.

It is high velocity 00 buckshot (1325 fps). Does the M4 require a break-in period before it works properly?

Seems that the consensus is : yes, it does require break in. I was one of the lucky few who got one that fired everything from low brass birdshot to slugs right out of the box. I did, however, strip it down and lube everything up really well prior to shooting.....I do that with any new gun.

I lubed the crap out of mine and it cycled low brass Winchester #8 shot right out of the box. I mean oil dripping out lubed.

I think think you should try a couple types of ammo though before you blame it on the gun. Leave the action locked back for a couple days too. If none of that works then maybe you can have your spring tested.

Edited by hypervdh

Seems that the consensus is : yes, it does require break in. I was one of the lucky few who got one that fired everything from low brass birdshot to slugs right out of the box. I did, however, strip it down and lube everything up really well prior to shooting.....I do that with any new gun.

I can never understand why EVERYONE doesn't do this. I have never once taken anything to the range that I didn't know inside and out before I got there as well as cleaning, and I mean "detailing" every nook and cranny from the day it got home so I knew all of those little pain in the butt spots I was going to have to take extra care on later.

Dis-assembling and cleaning any new weapon, no matter what it is, before a trip to the range should be a requirement with anyone who purchases fire-arms - new OR used.

I would consider that just a common sense thing so I'm glad you mentioned it.

Edited by Sharkey

OK guys listen up

8 years training, IDPA, and three gun.

This is how I lube my guns.

Glocks..........................a few drops in the right places

1911s...........................dripping

AR15s............................dripping

Benelli M4 and M2...........dripping

I use Militec......I know, I know "its a dry lube"....bla, bla, bla!

All these years and I cannot remember a malfunction ever on any of my guns.....ever!

Edited by stockplayer

Thanks for all of your feedback. I called Benelli about my problem and they asked me to ship my gun to them at their cost. They will put a rush on the repair/service and said I will have it on my doorstop within three weeks. That will make me happy.

Thanks for all of your feedback. I called Benelli about my problem and they asked me to ship my gun to them at their cost. They will put a rush on the repair/service and said I will have it on my doorstop within three weeks. That will make me happy.

Did you not try any of the other suggestions in the thread first? It would be a shame to lose your shotgun for 3 weeks because you got some out of spec ammo. I've had that happen with an M4, before. Wolf .223. Cases were out of spec. Wouldn't work in a Colt, Sabre, or anything else.

Dis-assembling and cleaning any new weapon, no matter what it is, before a trip to the range should be a requirement with anyone who purchases fire-arms - new OR used.

I would consider that just a common sense thing so I'm glad you mentioned it.

i completely agree........just makes sense.

OP

i think you are not giving it the chance it deserves, however, your gun, your call.

i just hope that you do not have the same results when it returns from Benelli.

i completely agree........just makes sense.

OP

i think you are not giving it the chance it deserves, however, your gun, your call.

i just hope that you do not have the same results when it returns from Benelli.

Benelli doesn't screw around. They verify and then replace subassemblies. If the weapon has a legit issue, it will be fixed.

Benelli doesn't screw around. They verify and then replace subassemblies. If the weapon has a legit issue, it will be fixed.

I understand that,.....and completely agree. What I was meaning was this, "it would really suck to get the Benelli back and find out the issue was the OP's ammo" that is what I was trying to state about having the same results after sending it to Benelli

I understand that,.....and completely agree. What I was meaning was this, "it would really suck to get the Benelli back and find out the issue was the OP's ammo" that is what I was trying to state about having the same results after sending it to Benelli

Oh, I agree, but when he gets it back and it still does it, if that is the case, then he will have no choice but to try other things and dump the budget ammo.

I personally think it's the ammo, or a grotesque issue with the M4. There is no way full-power buckshot should have issues. My 2 dealings with benelli CS were this: I asked, and they sent me an FP retaining pin with O-ring since Brownells didn't sell them at the time. I wanted a spare and told them so. Done. #2, was I had an M4 with a SLIGHTLY canted front-sight. Barrel assembly was replaced within the same 3 weeks OP mentions. It was perfect, then.