M4 - FFT Titanium Charging Handle fit

TriggerHappy1

Hey folks. I bought the Freedom Fighter Tactical 1/2" charging handle for my M4. I found that it doesn't lock into the bolt as does the factory part. After I noticed this, I searched and found at least a couple other cases of people who had the same issue... the handle being loose and/or falling out. When I contacted FFT, they kinda played it down, saying that it happens in only 1% or 2% of cases, and they can't possibly take into account slight manufacturing variations in all M4's. At any rate, they offered me either a replacement or a refund. I'm inclined to take the refund and wait for CarrierComp to produce their charging handle again. Before I do that, does anyone know if I can modify the FFT so it works as expected? Any vids or articles on this topic? Thanks.

Sorry you're having trouble. I don't think you can do anything to tighten the handle up. A ball detent goes into the groove on the shank and keeps it in place.

Gee whiz. We've got one supplier making substandard parts, and another who isn't making anything :(

FFT consistently puts out parts that do not meet spec, and then acts like this is something that only cropped up in YOUR case and they have NEVER heard of it before. Here is someone else with the bolt-handle issues:

http://www.survivalistboards.com/showpost.php?p=6544597&postcount=26

Here is me with their FCG disabling my M4:

+1. It's why I no longer buy their products. Their quality is unreliable and their attitude about it is simply frustrating. I would rather go without than deal with them. On a positive note, however, they always seem willing to take it back for return or exchange.

I'm not a fan of titanium parts period. From the newfangled titanium motocross handlebars back in the 70's (10 times stronger than steel, one tenth the weight!!!) that folded like a pretzel the first time the bike hit the dirt, to the titanium AR firing pin a couple of years back that disintegrated at the tip, punching a hole in a primer, getting stuck and locking it up tighter than Dick's hatband, titanium just doesn't seem worth the price for what you supposedly gain. Yeah, I know. Space travel, aircraft, etc., etc. My half-inch steel M4 charging handle from FFT has been going strong with nary a hiccup for the last couple of years. And I haven't had any difficulties lugging around that extra 7 grams of weight it has vs the TI version.

Edited by truckcop

+1. It's why I no longer buy their products. Their quality is unreliable and their attitude about it is simply frustrating. I would rather go without than deal with them. On a positive note, however, they always seem willing to take it back for return or exchange.

I had the same problem with their 922R tactical compliant forends. The forends fit very poorly and actually had to be filed down on the end before they would fit. Plus on the top edges there were several small cosmetic defects. When I contacted them about the problem, they told me that my M4 must be out of spec. I asked about a replacement, hoping that perhaps I just got a bad part, but was told that if this one did not fit, then all of the rest of them were the same and exchanging it wouldn't make a difference, but like mentioned before, they did offer a refund. I really wanted to stick with the looks of the stock forends, that's why I went with the Freedom Fighters part, but obviously their parts are not built to the same quality as the Benelli parts. I went ahead and modified them to fit, but am still not particularly happy with them, but I kept them anyway because replacing the forends is one of the easiest ways to help meeting the 922R compliance. I was using the purchase of these forends as a trial to see how the quality of Freedom Fighters parts were, but after this experience, I will not be buying their parts again.

On the other hand, the Carriercomp extended magazine tube was absolutely perfect. I only hope that someday they will be able to offer some of their other products again.

I'm not a fan of titanium parts period. From the newfangled titanium motocross handlebars back in the 70's (10 times stronger than steel, one tenth the weight!!!) that folded like a pretzel the first time the bike hit the dirt, to the titanium AR firing pin a couple of years back that disintegrated at the tip, punching a hole in a primer, getting stuck and locking it up tighter than Dick's hatband, titanium just doesn't seem worth the price for what you supposedly gain. Yeah, I know. Space travel, aircraft, etc., etc. My half-inch steel M4 charging handle from FFT has been going strong with nary a hiccup for the last couple of years. And I haven't had any difficulties lugging around that extra 7 grams of weight it has vs the TI version.

The weight from steel to ti can be seen in cycling reliability with the m4 bolt handle. I agree on structural components and firing pins per your examples, but some other items do offer a functional advantage when made of ti.

OK, so here is what I did on mine. With a fine emery barrel on my Dremel set real slow, I did the shoulder all so lightly a little at a time. It seemed to work better when I was done but only sometimes. After very close inspection, I found that one of the 3 detents where off a bit. So everytime I turned the charging handle to that spot, it easily popped out. I then took the Dremel and made it even with the other 2.... Seems to be fine now. I cannot yank it out without turning it where before if I charged the gun and my finger just twisted it slightly, it would pop out.

My question is, why is there not a free wheeling knob on there like GG&G? Seems like a good idea to relieve this problem. I might just get one of theirs and be done with it if there is any more probs..

OK, so here is what I did on mine. With a fine emery barrel on my Dremel set real slow, I did the shoulder all so lightly a little at a time. It seemed to work better when I was done but only sometimes. After very close inspection, I found that one of the 3 detents where off a bit. So everytime I turned the charging handle to that spot, it easily popped out. I then took the Dremel and made it even with the other 2.... Seems to be fine now. I cannot yank it out without turning it where before if I charged the gun and my finger just twisted it slightly, it would pop out.

My question is, why is there not a free wheeling knob on there like GG&G? Seems like a good idea to relieve this problem. I might just get one of theirs and be done with it if there is any more probs..

Why would you want a free-wheeling knob? That negates the point of a larger knob with knurling.

Honestly, if you cannot get Kip's, or one of the originals from "Toolman" (I actually tracked him down in Iraq, digitally, and he was sold out then, a couple years ago with no plans to make more), and the FFT you have does not make you happy, I'd use the OEM bolt handle. It's not a bad solution, and it's lighter than any of the other non Ti handles. The only reason I use a Ti handle is for the lower reciprocating off-axis mass. Otherwise, I see little benefit. A finger hooks either, nicely.

Never said I was not happy. Especially now that the fix I did solved the problem. But rather than argue about 'why would'... why not tell me 'why not' a free-wheeler? How does it negate anything? It just seems logical that it easily flows with the slight rotation of your finger. Never tried one so I cannot compare. Just asking.. Again, I'll be keeping the FFT now... I'm content...

Never said I was not happy. Especially now that the fix I did solved the problem. But rather than argue about 'why would'... why not tell me 'why not' a free-wheeler? How does it negate anything? It just seems logical that it easily flows with the slight rotation of your finger. Never tried one so I cannot compare. Just asking.. Again, I'll be keeping the FFT now... I'm content...

What is the purpose of the item?

To allow purchase for you to charge the bolt.

If it spins around, that's much less secure purchase than if it does not...and the argument "just hook it" makes a mockery of replacing the oem bolt handle.

Since I no longer have a Ti handle from Kip I was forced to go with the GGG 'spinner' handle. It seems that everyone universally hates the spinning handles.

I kinda like mine. It rolls out of the hand upon release. The checkering chews into the hand on the regular (non-rotating) ones.

And I'll take it one step further. The M4 bolt can and will jam (stop) if the bolt is babied forward. The bolt needs to move forward with some force, i.e. pull back and let go. The spinning handles allows this much more then the fixed handle.

I had the same problem with their 922R tactical compliant forends. The forends fit very poorly and actually had to be filed down on the end before they would fit. Plus on the top edges there were several small cosmetic defects. When I contacted them about the problem, they told me that my M4 must be out of spec. I asked about a replacement, hoping that perhaps I just got a bad part, but was told that if this one did not fit, then all of the rest of them were the same and exchanging it wouldn't make a difference, but like mentioned before, they did offer a refund. I really wanted to stick with the looks of the stock forends, that's why I went with the Freedom Fighters part, but obviously their parts are not built to the same quality as the Benelli parts. I went ahead and modified them to fit, but am still not particularly happy with them, but I kept them anyway because replacing the forends is one of the easiest ways to help meeting the 922R compliance. I was using the purchase of these forends as a trial to see how the quality of Freedom Fighters parts were, but after this experience, I will not be buying their parts again.

On the other hand, the Carriercomp extended magazine tube was absolutely perfect. I only hope that someday they will be able to offer some of their other products again.

Still go me a set of those too. Never did get around to returning them. To say the two halves don't align is an understatement. The gap is huge.

Having a similar problem with my FFT charging handle. It hasnt come loose on its own so far, but comes loose when pulling back the bolt manually if I am not careful to avoid any outward pull on the handle.

I have had the same issue with mine. I have it on video somewhere as well. If I lost this while out in the woods hunting, that would be the end of the hunt. Unacceptable for a custom part this expensive.

-Lindley

I have had the same issue with mine. I have it on video somewhere as well. If I lost this while out in the woods hunting, that would be the end of the hunt. Unacceptable for a custom part this expensive.

-Lindley

No...Just use a stick of something to initially cycle the weapon (Don't leave it in there...) and don't let the gun run dry. There is no way this should be the end of the hunt. Suck? Annoying? Etc.? Sure. But I wouldn't let it stop me from killing a deer.

I just noticed that my FFT has the same problem, I could pull it out from any position with minimal effort. Just tried the original factory part and it was impossible without rotating. I might email FFT and see what they think

They will tell you it's never happened before but they are happy to refund your purchase if you're not pleased.