SureFire M80, what QD do you use with it

SFBayArea

Thinking of getting one.

Couple of questions.

1. What QD do you use with it?

2. I could only find very old posts about this product and there were complaints that it fits badly, its wobles, the escaping gasses burn hands. I wonder if anyone have recently purchased M80 and if those issues have been resolved.

3. What light mount do you use with it

Any particular reason(s), why not?

-They are made for the M1014 barrel lacking flange.

-They require you run rail covers or gloves. Gloves are fine, but with covers, its like grabbing a telephone pole.

-They can flex and impinge a piston, although not likely.

Sold my SF M80 and went with a FFT forend that needed a slight filing for a super tight fit, and matched it up with an AVA light/rail/QD Sling mount. The SF M80 was uncomfortable no matter what rail covers or grips I tried! Plus, it became a cluster f**k when adding lights, lasers, and/or pressure pads. The limited forend space on a shotgun is totally different then that of a carbine. If 922r is not an issue for your shotgun build, stick with the OEM unit.

Most of us bought the M80 several years ago and have since sold it as better options have become available. The AVA mount is the best option for a weaponlight and QD sling fwd mount at this time. The "gutter" in the M80 rails prevents successful use of the LaRue QD mounts. I'd love to see a very light and low-profile keymod forend from BCM as well as a SF DSF forend, but the M4 market is so small its unlikely to happen.

I’m sitting here swapping back and forth (literally) between the M80 and OEM 2-piece forend. I've had the M80 on for the last year and have no issues with it. Having said that, there is something about the 2-piece forend that I really like. It’s simple and it works. The M80 sticks down cause of that additional rail that I’ll probably never use unless grouping slugs with an Atlas bipod. I only have the M80 on mine because that’s what I was using to mount my Oveready X300 light… but now that I ordered the AVA mount yesterday I doubt I’ll be needing the M80.

On a similar topic, yesterday I took off my OEM collapsible pistol grip stock and put on my stippled OEM field stock. I also took off my Aimpoint Micro T1 and went back to the factory LPA ghost ring. Basically, I’m all stock except the useful mods like Carrier Comp ti. tube, FFT 3/4" ti. knob, GG&G bolt release pad, NP3 coated pistons and Tactical Link sling. I went from fully modded M4 to a super clean back-to-basic setup. It just works :)

I’m sitting here swapping back and forth (literally) between the M80 and OEM 2-piece forend. I've had the M80 on for the last year and have no issues with it. Having said that, there is something about the 2-piece forend that I really like. It’s simple and it works. The M80 sticks down cause of that additional rail that I’ll probably never use unless grouping slugs with an Atlas bipod. I only have the M80 on mine because that’s what I was using to mount my Oveready X300 light… but now that I ordered the AVA mount yesterday I doubt I’ll be needing the M80.

These are my exact feelings as well. Because of the bulkiness & weight of the M80, combined with the inability to remove unneeded accessory rails, I am looking for something closer to the OEM forend with the addition of a mount for my light.

This is exactly why the AVA Tactical mount was developed. You'll find your weight savings to be about half a pound when moving from the Surefire M80 to the AVA. The ergonomics of the factory or OEM reproduction handguard cannot be beat. Price wise, it is roughly the same as what you would spend on a M80 setup once you sourced the mounts and rail covers.

• 4 weeks later...

All set up with the AVA light mount and Oveready X300 triple :)

In order for the QD swivel to sit perpendicular to the barrel/mag (same direction as factory sling loop) you can’t run a light on the left side. Oh well, good thing for 1100 lumen X300s!

IMG_3296_zps1d80dd00.jpg

Edited by forzArmata

The elusive Oveready Tripple X-300....very nice....I luv mine!

All set up with the AVA light mount and Oveready X300 triple :)

In order for the QD swivel to sit perpendicular to the barrel/mag (same direction as factory sling loop) you can’t run a light on the left side. Oh well, good thing for 1100 lumen X300s!

IMG_3296_zps1d80dd00.jpg

i have had the M80 for years and had no problems whats so ever with mine I love it... others might not like it because of the weight I see no problem with that... I am also using the Larue fug mount on it with a Surefire ( Body Only ) melkoff drop in off to the side. no problems....[ATTACH=CONFIG]2716[/ATTACH]

how ever I am not one to do away with what works and could care less (But ) the AVA does have my attention. also I can see doing with out the broom handle as well on a shotgun. and (100% ) of the times stranger danger is very Anel about what he puts on his guns. aether way you can't go wrong. been out of it for a while because my set ups are complete but I will be looking into the AVA....

OK i have kinda looked over it and my only one problem I see with the AVA is this. I have the Surefire 6P with the Z49 tale cap. now once installed from looking at pics the light will not rest on the forend grips... it looks like it will butt with the back of the flashlight or the tale cap how ever your set up is and is not sitting right with me....it would seem like you would have to add some spacers on the AVA for you to use it with any flashlight that was long and something you wanted where you did not have to extend your hand out 100 feet just to turn on a light... so looks like a bit of spacers there. anyone have this AVA and provide more info correct me if i am wrong on this....