Nova trigger assembly possibly broken?

ChrisDahn

I bought a Nova about a year ago for shooting clays, and I've put a couple hundred rounds through it without any problems. But, a couple of weeks ago, the trigger assembly accidentally slipped out of my hand while I was cleaning, and I broke off a small plastic bit that sticks up on the front left of it (see picture, circled in red).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2709[/ATTACH]

From what I can tell, this piece of the assembly doesn't actually do anything. It doesn't appear that anything rests on it, slides across it, bumps against it, or has any kind of physical contact. It appears to simply be there for good looks. Can anyone confirm this?

That being said, in the past two weeks, I've had some Winchester Super-Target shells (12ga, 2 3/4") jam halfway into the barrel while feeding from both the magazine, and after simply dropping one in during trap shooting. I'd only shot a couple of boxes of these shells before, so I would normally just think that the cheap shells are to blame, but I can't shake this nagging feeling that somehow, that small plastic part is to blame. After extracting the jammed shells, I can see a groove on the front where it caught on something on the way into the barrel and got stuck.

So, I'm hoping someone can alleviate my fears, as I'd rather not spend $90 on a new trigger assembly if I don't have to. Have any of you had problems with that brand/make of shells? Does anyone know if that little plastic bit is just there for aesthetics, or does it actually serve some purpose with the shell elevator that's causing my troubles?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by ChrisDahn
Trying to make title clearer to get a response

Look at your notifications at the top after you log in. I sent you a message. If you didn't get it let me know. I've had trouble with these IM's.
Aha! I knew I had to be missing something! Thanks for putting up with me. I'll have to check my settings, surely there's one in there to email me when private notifications come in. I sent you a reply, but it looks like maybe it didn't go through. I'll send another, sorry if you get two. For the purposes of closing out this thread, apparently the little tab, if missing, can cause intermittent problems. Thanks BG!