Off-center gas-ports...normal?

Unobtanium

Was curious if others notice this and it's normal, such as on an AR-15 where the gas-block has a large enough opening that the exact location of the hole in the barrel matters little, or not. Is yours perfectly centered, or a bit "off" (one hole further up the barrel wall than the other)?

dc4txf.jpg

the logic is the magazine tube resides directly under the barrel and that requires the pistons to be offset from the centerline of the barrel ...how would you design the ports for a two piston recoil mechanism ?

Well, evenly. Not with one port further up the wall than the other. The FSP would be between them directly, not one port further off to one side.

Looks to me like several things on this barrel are crooked (the front-sight and barrel extension are also rotated at odds with each other, FSB crooked? Barrel extension on wrong? Who knows). It's getting returned. Nothing major, but for $800, anything wrong is major, in my book.

homer-thinking-smiley-emoticon.gif

Can anyone pull a string on the gas piston/housing and see if they match the off center ports?

I could not even pass an insulin needle through the ports. However, I COULD shine light through them VERY FAINTLY. I think the ports must be angled as they pass through the barrel/housing. They seem to line up, but the housing is off-center a bit from the front sight. SOMETHING is just crooked about this barrel and everything on it. Nothing huge, but it may or may not present a problem zeroing slugs. I've had a minor canted FSB do that before on another M4.