Benelli Vinci reloading problem

Greylag

Hi there - Could someone help me with information regarding a new Vinci. The gun have until now shot more than 2.000 rounds but it still not able to reload reliable with 28 grams size 7 shotshells for clayshooting. My own SBE II reload 24 grams without any problem but also first after 2-3.000 rounds.

Is it correct that the Vinci not are able to reload with 28 grams ammunition after a big amount of rounds?

24-grams = 0.85 ounces

28-grams = 0.99 ounces

I own a SuperVinci, which is rated by Benelli to reliably cycle with 1-ounce:2-3/4-in loads, to 2-1/4 ounce:3-1/2-inch loads.

My SuperVinci runs my 1-ounce handloads (at estimated 1150-fps) perfectly.

It will NOT cycle with my 7/8-oz ultra-light loads.

I am not sure if the minimum load requirements for the Vinci are the same as the SuperVinci.

I believe (?) the Vinci is chambered for up-to 3-in loads, so it should max-out at approx 1-7/8 oz loads.

Capt_C

Edited by Capt_C

Hi Capt_C

Thanks for your answer. It is a SuperVinci I'm writing about. Regarding the user manual the demand is 240 kgm 1 meter away from the muzzle. But it's not possible to buy shells in Europe with this marking. All are marked with ftps. 28 gram are equal 1 oz. The cartridge we use are size 7, 28 gram and 1350 ftps, 12G White Gold 28 gram shotshells from Gamebore.com

The SuperVinci will not recycle reliable with this ammunition and we tried a lot of others.

Is there something practical we can do to optimize the reloading cycle? Ammunition with a bigger weight is not legal in Denmark when shooting clays

Edited by Greylag

28-grams of #7 doesn't put much shot in the air... even 1-1/8 oz of #7-1/2 (in my opinion) makes for a sparse pattern. I'm not a good with a shotgun... so I need as much shot in the pattern as possible.

I suggest you try higher velocity 28g loads to see if that solves the problem. Even if it does, your gun does not meet Benelli's specification.

Capt_C

Hi

I agree with you about the pattern but in Dk it's not legal to shoot clays with pellets bigger than #7. When the SuperVinci fire 3"#2 on a goosehunt there is no problem. The SuperVinci is an ecxpensive semiautomatic in Dk and therefore it's not outstanding to train clayshooting with the gun and having a lot of reloading problems with the max legal velocity.

I agree with you that the gun don't meet the specifications.

Greylag

I've never seen a Vinci that would cycle a 7/8oz load. Anyhow, these things won't work if they are dry of oil either. Pull the barrel off with the bolt in it and you should see marks inside where the bolt rubs. Suggest a 30 weight synthetic oil and drizzle it along those marks. Also, apply the same oil to the action spring and bar running along the top of the bolt. That should slick it up and let it move.

I can confirm Benelligunny's comment about 7/8-oz loads... my super-light 7/8-oz 'cowboy action' loads would not cycle my SuperVinci. The 1-oz 2-3/4 stuff worked perfectly, and at that time, 1-oz of #8-1/2 was my standard sporting clays load.

(Yes, I shot the big, light-weight SuperVinci for sporting clays... it works well for me; gave my Citori featherweight O/U to my son).

Also... I edited my reply above as it wasn't worded correctly specific to max 12-ga load: "2-1/4 ounce:3-1/2-inch". For the record, I've fired many 1-7/8 oz 3-in mag loads duck hunting, but have never pulled the trigger on a 3-1/2-in shell so I have not personally tested the max recommended load in the SuperVinci. Capt_C

If you've sent that many through the gun, it should be pretty well broken in. Maybe change out the springs & see if the new ones will work with those loads once broken in again?

For what it's worth I've been able to cycle 7/8 oz. on my super vinci. I am having a completely unrelated FTF problem right now, but I put about 15 - 20 pairs of 7/8 in a row & didn't have an issue with the light loads.