How to buy a shotgun as a non US citizen

njs

I have tryed to contact a gunshop in WA, as I´m going to WA on vacasion this summer, and I want to buy a Benelli M2 Wood during my stay.

BUT he won´t sell me one because I´m a non US citizen.

Can anyone tell me what kind of shop i`ll have to contact ?? I`m from Denmark

I wondered about this when I saw your first post, stating your intentions to make a purchase while visting the US.

Based on some quick research, there are circumstances under which you may be able to accomplish this. Obviously, it's going to be a somewhat complicated procedure.

1. In searching, I found a link to an ATF (the US governing agency for firearms) publication on the subject of non-immigrant aliens and the purchase and exportation of guns.

http://tinyurl.com/5assk (Adobe PDF)

Quoting from the document....

"Purchasing a firearm or ammunition from a Federal Firearms Licensee (FFL) for exportation

A nonimmigrant alien generally MAY purchase a firearm or ammunition from an FFL if the firearm/ammunition is directly exported by the FFL, so that the nonimmigrant alien DOES NOT take possession of the firearm/ammunition in the United

States prior to exportation.

To export a sporting shotgun or ammunition for a sporting shotgun, the FFL from whom you purchase the firearm/ammunition must obtain an export license from the Department of Commerce prior to exportation.

To export firearms other than sporting shotguns or ammunition for firearms other than sporting shotguns, the FFL from whom you purchase the firearm/ammunition must be registered with the Department of State, Office of Defense Trade Controls (ODTC). The FFL must obtain an export license from the ODTC prior to exportation.

The State Department recommends that you provide the FFL with a letter from your embassy on embassy letterhead explaining why you want to export the firearm/ammunition. You also should provide an import authorization issued by the competent Government office in your country."

This document includes contact information for the ATF at the bottom of the page, so I strongly suggest that you contact them to obtain the latest information.

Also note the section regarding local and state laws, which may STILL prohibit the sale.

2. You should obviously also contact your local and state governments to make sure that everything is handled properly on the Danish side. It may be required that you make arrangements with a Danish importer or dealer before you come to the US.

Good luck, and enjoy your visit!

[ 03-12-2005, 02:10 PM: Message edited by: tucker301 ]

I think to buy a gun in the US, you have to be a citizen or a permanent resident. Being a citizen is not strictly necessary; I am not a citizen (but a permanent resident with a green card), and I have purchased several guns (some shotguns, some handguns). When doing so, you have to bring your permanent resident alien paperwork (also known as "green card"), enter your alien number into the form, and the gun shop makes a photocopy of the green card.

You also have to demonstrate that you are a resident of the state you are buying the gun in and have been so for a certain amount of time; I think the acceptable forms of proof include 3 months worth of electrical bills, all with the correct name and address, or the paperwork (called "title") that you own a car or a residence (house, apartment) registered in the state.

I don't think that a visitor on a tourist-visa or similar temporary visa can buy a gun in the US, but I'm not 100% sure.

Thank´s for the advice - seems to be a bit more diffucault, than I thought !

Perhaps I can order online from home and have one mailed.

Bennelli is allmost unknown i Denmark and the few ones you cant get (Montefeltro) are expensive compared to US (about 2000 dollars incl: state tax)

this is why I will try in the US

Originally posted by treelogger:

I think to buy a gun in the US, you have to be a citizen or a permanent resident.

treelogger,

If you'd read my post you would have seen that a non-resident alien can indeed purchase a gun.

They have to purchse through a dealer with an export license, and the dealer must ship the gun directly to the visitor's home country. They cannot take posession in the US, but they can purchase.

njs,

Find yourself a dealer with export capabilites and you're halfway there.

njs,

I just remembered that one of the online auction sites, gunbroker.com, provides links to firearms dealers who can help complete a transaction.

They even have an importers/exporters section.

It is possible that you could even purchase the gun through the site, use an exporter to have it sent to you, and never have to leave home

smile.gif

Main site - http://gunbroker.com

Exporters - http://www.gunbroker.com/Support/SupportFAQView.asp?FAQID=1110&NoCount=1

[ 03-13-2005, 09:17 AM: Message edited by: tucker301 ]

Originally posted by tucker301:

If you'd read my post you would have seen that a non-resident alien can indeed purchase a gun. ...

Actually, I did read it. You carefully described the second (or more complicated) way of buying a gun as a non-resident, and getting it exported. And your description, probably rightly so, points out the difficulties in this approach.

What I was trying to do was to fill in information about the first (simpler) way: Just come to the US, buy a gun, shoot a little bit with it, then pack it into your luggage and take it home. This doesn't work. I wanted to point out that this is not at all as simple as walking into Walmart or a high-end gunshop, and waking out 10 minutes later with a Benelli and a flat of shells, and drive over to the skeet range. One of the reasons I wanted to very explicitly dissuade the OP from trying this is that, coming from Europe, it is easy to think that the US is still the wild west (an impression that is caused partly by historical reasons, partly from the media coverage, partly because it is actually true that the US is considerably more relaxed and freer). But for example the fact that ammo can be bought at a drug store or a discounter might make people think that the US has no effective gun control whatsoever.

The intent of my post was to complement your post - not ignore it.

Originally posted by treelogger:

I think to buy a gun in the US, you have to be a citizen or a permanent resident.

I guess I somehow misinterpreted your opening sentence :confused:

I do understand your point, but I don't necessarily agree with it, not in this case anyway.

The OP seemed to be articulate (moreso than some of the Americans who post here) and he seemed to have enough intelligence to indicate that he didn't think the US was still living in the 19th century.

[ 03-14-2005, 07:41 AM: Message edited by: tucker301 ]

(A15) Q. May foreign visitors and other aliens legally in the United States purchase or possess firearms and ammunition while in the United States?

A. Nonimmigrant aliens generally are prohibited from possessing or receiving (purchasing) firearms and ammunition in the United States.

There are exceptions to this general prohibition. The exceptions are as follows:

1. nonimmigrant aliens who possess a valid hunting license or permit lawfully issued by a State in the United States;

2. nonimmigrant aliens entering the United States to participate in a competitive target shooting event or to display firearms at a sports or hunting trade show sponsored by a national, State, or local firearms trade organization devoted to the competitive use or other sporting use of firearms;

3. certain diplomats;

4. officials of foreign governments or distinguished foreign visitors so designated by the U.S. State Department;

5. foreign law enforcement officers of friendly foreign governments entering the United States on official law enforcement business; and

6. persons who have received a waiver from the prohibition from the U.S. Attorney General.

Significantly, even if a nonimmigrant alien falls within one of these exceptions, the nonimmigrant alien CANNOT purchase a firearm from a Federal firearms licensee (FFL) unless he or she (1) has an alien number or admission number from the Immigration and Naturalization Service AND (2) can provide the FFL with documentation showing that he or she has resided in a State within the United States for 90 days prior to the firearms transaction.

(A16) Q. Typically, who are "nonimmigrant aliens?" [back]

In large part, nonimmigrant aliens are persons traveling temporarily in the United States for business or pleasure, persons studying in the United States who maintain a foreign residence abroad, and certain foreign workers. Permanent resident aliens are NOT nonimmigrant aliens. (Permanent resident aliens often are referred to as people with "Green Cards").

The above from the ATF FAQ website:

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#a15

Regards threeshot

[ 03-14-2005, 09:14 PM: Message edited by: threeshot ]

Same Page... slightly farther down

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b14

B(14) A foreign visitor may purchase a firearm and have it exported by a licensee. The licensee must obtain an export license from the State Department for this type of transaction.

This is the route he was taking at last contact.

[ 03-14-2005, 10:24 PM: Message edited by: tucker301 ]

• 2 weeks later...

Hi ,you are right. I have been checking this out, as a New Zealander trying to import a rifle from the USA, and found that I can buy a firearm from the USA but have to find an exporter who is registered with your State Department (this costs them US$ 1750 /year) and send them the relevant paperwork from the buyers country. They have to apply for a Permit to Export (which is free and should take about 8 weeks) .Check on their fees and freight costs etc before commiting yourself .US Airmail parcel Post is okay but you may need a hardcase not cardboard box. Another exporter at "[email protected]" but they seem expensive to me.

Originally posted by tucker301:

Same Page... slightly farther down

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b14

B(14) A foreign visitor may purchase a firearm and have it exported by a licensee. The licensee must obtain an export license from the State Department for this type of transaction.

This is the route he was taking at last contact.