M4 Field stock Vs pistol grip?

Evolution

Hey all, I'm interested to know what your opinions are between the two OEM M4 stocks.

I'm interested to know from those who have experience shooting the M4 with them both.

I am very happy with the OEM pistol grip stock that mine came with. From the moment I first picked it up and shouldered the gun, it just fit me perfectly and felt 'right'. The LOP, the balance, immediate sight acquisition, everything.

It seems to me that the pistol grip type stocks aid in controlling the guns under recoil more so than a field stock does. Am I wrong?

Anyone here who has had the same experience as me with the OEM pistol grip stock and has tried the field stock?

Differences between the two? Just wondering out loud here and curious to hear from anyone who's has tried both.

You're probably going to get answers that run the full spectrum. Do a google search and one "expert" says pistol grip stock while the next says standard straight stock. IMO, it boils down to personal preference. Of my current shotguns, 3 came with a full stock pistol grip. When I first tried one out on a Benelli M1 Entry Gun back in the early 90's, I was convinced they were the greatest thing since metallic cartridges. I don't think they have an effect on recoil control one way or another . In some situations they can be advantageous but over the years I've found that I prefer the standard straight stock. All my shotguns now wear straight stocks. No real articulable reason. Just personal preference.

The field stock can be one-handed very well by utilizing one's forearm.

I've tried both and the PG definitely provides better control for me under all conditions although felt recoil on my wrist is more pronounced with a PG stock generally speaking. I had never considered it until someone pointed out to me the superior handling characteristics of the PG stock over the straight stock (with me always having favored a straight stock). It is certainly a personal preference thing though.

I have both the PG and field stock for my M4 and have no real preference for either one over the other. Like you, the LOP, etc are, well.... Actually, they seem to be tailor made to me for both the PG and FS. I have noticed no difference in ability to control the gun under recoil between the two grips in any situation I have been in to date.

It will boil down to which feels more comfortable to you when you shoot it... or like me, you may end up with no preference and swap them around somewhat willy nilly based on your intended activity.

I would not personally give up either.

I have both the PG and field stock for my M4 and have no real preference for either one over the other. Like you, the LOP, etc are, well.... Actually, they seem to be tailor made to me for both the PG and FS. I have noticed no difference in ability to control the gun under recoil between the two grips in any situation I have been in to date.

It will boil down to which feels more comfortable to you when you shoot it... or like me, you may end up with no preference and swap them around somewhat willy nilly based on your intended activity.

I would not personally give up either.

Thanks to all for your opinions. And RoadDad, thank you for the detailed explanation of your experience with them both, as you appear to have the same general fit to the the stock as I do.

I now may just drop the $120.00 on a field stock to try out for kicks.:cool:

Edited by Evolution

Saw one on flea bay a few days ago for $70

I just took a look at ebay..... on the first page there was one for $200.00 and another was $150.00. I didn't look any further. People are just greedy A-holes. Stupid too, when you can buy one from Benelli for $120.00.

Edited by Evolution

• 2 weeks later...

The Benelli M4 Field Stock supply comes and goes. Sellers raise prices when they become scarce and don't always pay attention - or care - when they come back in stock. Get on a wait list at a reputable dealer and you'll get one for $120 within a few months. If you need one right away you might be stuck getting price gouged.

As for the differences:

Ergonomically the pistol stock can be held longer and doesn't strain most wrists as much as the field stock does. I've found that the field stock favors larger hands. Also, the cheek weld on the field stock is sharper as it tapers more than the pistol stock. Depending on your stance and body type your cheek may fall towards the tapered tip of the Field Stock like it does for me.

The field stock has the same length of pull as the pistol stock but it weighs 4.0oz less (606g - field vs. 721g -pistol) and has a much lower profile.

As far as recoil goes, when the weapon is shouldered the recoil should almost all go into the shoulder, not the grip. I've personally never felt any difference as far as recoil handling - but your mileage may vary.

Here are some photos of the pistol and field stocks compared to show the differences in profile. It's hard to tell from the photo but the stocks are flush at the front and back.

scalarworks_benelli_m4_stock_comparison_side.jpg

scalarworks_benelli_m4_stock_comparison_top.jpg

Edited by Scalarworks

• 2 years later...

Well, it wasn't broke but, I attempted to fix it anyway. Ya know how it is...I just HAD to try it for myself.:rolleyes: So, I recently found that Benelli had one left in stock and I bought it.

I put it on and promptly took it off and put the PG stock back on for two reasons.

One is that for some reason the when grasping the wrist in my hand and putting my finger on the trigger, it just felt very awkward. Not comfy at all, very unnatural. I don't know if it's the angle of the wrist in relation to the receiver or what but, that just sucked.

The other reason is that when drawing the gun up to my cheek, (maybe) because of the lower drop on the comb of the stock or something, I had to adjust my head around in order to acquire the sights. That sucked too.

With the PG stock, as soon as I draw the gun up to my head, and place my cheek to the stock, the sights are immediately acquired without having to move my head at all...they are simply right there. My hand grasp on the PG to trigger is very comfortable and natural for me.

So, it's the PG stock for me, no question anymore. The field stock is back in it's box and in the safe and that's most likely where it's going to stay.:p

Edited by Evolution

• 2 years later...

Can someone help me? I purchased a benelli m4 h20 with my cc today. I didn't take possession of the firearm yet but was wondering why mine didn't come with a pistol grip. It only came with a traditional butt stock. Does this mean that my shotgun is not a benelli m4 tactical ? Plz help me someone? Should I cancel order or ask the store to get me a pistol grip?

1 hour ago, Kevin smith said:

Can someone help me? I purchased a benelli m4 h20 with my cc today. I didn't take possession of the firearm yet but was wondering why mine didn't come with a pistol grip. It only came with a traditional butt stock. Does this mean that my shotgun is not a benelli m4 tactical ? Plz help me someone? Should I cancel order or ask the store to get me a pistol grip?

The Benelli website shows the M4 Tactical H2O is available with either stock.

https://www.benelliusa.com/shotguns

18 hours ago, Kevin smith said:

Keep the gun....buy a PG stock so you can try both of them out to see which one you prefer and, so that you can have an alternate set up should you decide that you like both stocks.

Edited by Evolution
spelling

21 hours ago, Kevin smith said:

1. Just remember that the newer H2o is NOT really a true H2o. Its Ceracoated not real NP3 coated.

2. Your recoil spring tube may not have the grooves cut into it for a fully functional collapsible stock if that matters to you. 

My Ceracoated H2o came with a field stock but the recoil tube actually had all grooves cut into it so that a collapsible pistol grip stock worked when swapped for the field stock, however my other M4 came with a standard fixed pistol grip but the recoil tube was NOT grooved for a functional collapsible style pistol stock.