Mod M1 barrel for a M3?

JeepsAndGuns

I was wondering if something like this could be possiable?

What I have: Benelli M3 Super 90, HK marked, 18.5 in ghost ring barrel.

What I want: The same barrel but with screw in chokes.

Here is the problem: The M3 18.5 in barrel was never offered with screw in chokes (only the longer field barrels were, and I do not want one of those) However, the M1 Super 90 was offered with a 18.5 in barrel with screw in chokes.

Looking at pictures, they appear to be identical at the chamber end and will fit the recievers, however the barrel retaining ring is in a different spot on the two. The M3 ring is about 2 inches more forward than the M1 ring, and naturally it is shaped differently.

What I am wondering, is could it be possiable to take a M1 barrel in the configuration I want (18.5in, ghost ring, screw in choke) and remove the barrel retaining ring. Then reproduce a copy of the M3 barrel rataining ring and attach it to the M1 barrel?

Does anyone know how the rings are attached to the barrels from the factory? It kinda almost looks like some type of solder or brazing. Could something like this be done by a capable gunsmith?

Thanks.

Could something like this be done by a capable gunsmith?

Thanks.

No, you would also need a machinist to machine the barrel ring because the geometry is fairly complex where you would need special metrology equipment to get it exactly the same. If the shape is not the same the forend will get caught.

It is an adhesive compound.

Yes, there is the machining of the new ring, but most good gunsmiths are also machinist, as most all I have seen have lathes and mills. So assuming a new ring could be made, could this be done?

So the barrel ring is not welded/brazed/soldered, but instead glued on with a type of compound? Is it something like super JB weld?

You have enough cash, just about anything is possible. Before I did anything close to what you propose, I'd first send the barrel off to Briley and see if there's enough material at the muzzle for their thin-wall choke system.

Edited by truckcop

yes it can be done.

I can not pin point the exact adhesive, but it is definitely something from Loxeal. welding, brazing, and soldering can be seen visible by the seems.

Please do not take this the wrong way, but do you have any proof of this? Have you or someone you know taken the barrel retaining ring off a benelli barrel? Its not that I dont believe you, I just want hard evidence to prove it.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=940950

I received two M4 barrels a few months ago, the previous bloke had added that ABSURD X-rail system on both of his M4s and crudely removed the cap ring. Not surprisingly he sent both to be SBS'd and sold the regular barrels to me.

I sold one like that pictured, the other I had one of my gunsmiths remove the remaining cap ring (with heat and a machine vise), refinished, and sent to a friend. Once the remaining ring cap was removed it looked like dry powdery dust was left on there, but it was installed cleanly as it looked. I just had the removal process explain to me, so my only proof is what my smith told me.

19_26_zps8c22e020.jpg

Edited by Vertigofirearms

Well any of the fore mentioned will work (welding, brazing, silver soldering, epoxy, etc...)

check out these brownells page: (it has several options to choose from and their specification/strength rating)

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/general-gunsmith-tools/solders-flux/index.htm?f_a=13

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/general-gunsmith-tools/welding/index.htm

Your smith should be able to decide which is best for strength and is the cleanest after re-installing.

Edited by Vertigofirearms