BENELLI OPTIC RAIL The decisive Trijicon RMR mount for the Benelli m4

heckler&kochp2000

• 4 weeks later...
Sorry if this is in the wrong place, but what do you guys recommend for side saddles when using the scalarworks rail? I have used the Mesa side saddles before but I could not find a side saddle for the M4 that didn't have a top rail.

Thanks

tac star makes a side saddle that does not include a top rail. It works, but is not ideal. The biggest drawback is that it mounts using a bolt that replaces the trigger-group retaining pin. If you over-tighten the bolt, the shotgun won't cycle. If you under-tighten, it can work loose. I use lock tite on mine to keep it in the sweet spot. The shell carrier itself is plastic, which expands and contracts with temperature makings shell removal easier or harder depending on conditions (even in the same day..), the plastic carrier mounts to an aluminum plate with small screws which need to be lock-tite-ed into place or they are gone.

while I've just listed the negatives, it is the side saddle I use - until scalarworks makes a rail with an integrated carrier that is.

I can't recommend the Tacstar shell carrier. I had one way back around 2005. It was terrible. You have to literally disassemble the unit to get your trigger pack out of the gun for cleaning. As the user above stated, if you tighten it too much, it binds the bolt carrier by squeezing your receiver. Too loose and it shakes loose. The shell retention was excellent on it, but the execution was just terrible. It's rather heavy too, if I recall, the unit was 9 ounces without any shells. Add six shells, and that'll add another 12 ounces. Threw mine in the trash.

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, but what do you guys recommend for side saddles when using the scalarworks rail? I have used the Mesa side saddles before but I could not find a side saddle for the M4 that didn't have a top rail.

Thanks

This is absolutely the right place for that question.

We personally use and recommend Esstac shotgun cards. All you need to attach them to your receiver is some industrial strength velcro.

We'll post some pics this coming week to illustrate. The benefits of this system over rigid side saddles are numerous: lighter, lower profile, removable, compatible with M4 mag pouches so you can carry tonnes of them, and lastly cheaper.

Rigid side saddles add a lot of bulk and weight to a shotgun and those are the sorts of things that we started Scalarworks to eliminate.

http://www.3gungear.com/

I'd recommend this system over all the hard mount options. It's lighter, does the same job and can crush flat when not being used. Best of all, it is a lot cheaper than other options.

Wow, Thanks for that link, SD! That looks like a great alternative to the Esstac cards. We wholeheartedly agree that these soft options are better in every way to the machined or plastic ones we've seen so far.

http://www.skdtac.com/Esstac-Shotgun-Card-p/ess.106.htm

I don't have the heart to stick anything to, or bolt anything to my receiver, so I have a Bandoleer.

A bit of acetone will take off any adhesive without leaving a mark which is more than can be said to most anything metal that is pressed against a receiver, and as the photos we'll post this week will show; it's very slick looking when all is said and done. Thanks for posting that link.

I understand the purported benefits of the soft carriers, I've tried them, I'm not a fan.

But this has served to confirm to me that no Scalarworks rail with integrated rigid shell carrier is in planning/in the works. That's cool. I'm happy with my rmr rail and the aim point mount for my AR and I'm grateful to scalarworks for bringing cool stuff to market. I just wish an all-in-one rail, rmr mount (on the forward portion of the rail) and she'll carrier was an available option.

But this has served to confirm to me that no Scalarworks rail with integrated rigid shell carrier is in planning/in the works. That's cool. I'm happy with my rmr rail and the aim point mount for my AR and I'm grateful to scalarworks for bringing cool stuff to market. I just wish an all-in-one rail, rmr mount (on the forward portion of the rail) and she'll carrier was an available option.

Thanks for your understanding.

We have some really cool new Benelli products in the late stages of development, but not a side saddle. If we ever do try to tackle that, whatever we release would have to be close in weight and profile to the soft velcro ones, while bringing something extra to the table.

If we may ask: what did you dislike about the soft solutions, or conversely, what do you prefer about the standard hard ones?

The hard carriers usually end up ruining the shotgun in the end. On the Mossbergs they wallow out that cross pin hole in the receiver. I'm thinking I wouldn't want that to happen to my Mossberg or my Benelli.

I bought a Bandoleer for SHTF scenarios that require more than 8 shells. I don't even have the stones to put velcro on my Beautiful Benelli or Mossberg 590A1 SPX! Not to mention they are heavy enough already...

Thanks for your understanding.

We have some really cool new Benelli products in the late stages of development, but not a side saddle. If we ever do try to tackle that, whatever we release would have to be close in weight and profile to the soft velcro ones, while bringing something extra to the table.

If we may ask: what did you dislike about the soft solutions, or conversely, what do you prefer about the standard hard ones?

no worries. You guys make good stuff, if I see a hole in the market, maybe it's an opportunity for a trob09 rail...(just joking, my business is in a different industry...)

i found the velcro options to be less stable. In one instance, the Velcro card ended up flapping around as I moved, and falling off. I found this to be exacerbated when trying to switch cards in the middle of a stress event. I like Velcro, but I'm not sold on this as a solution for carrying extra rounds on a shotgun. Other are sure to have different opinions.

i look forward to seeing your new offering. As I say, you make great stuff.

no worries. You guys make good stuff, if I see a hole in the market, maybe it's an opportunity for a trob09 rail...(just joking, my business is in a different industry...)

i found the velcro options to be less stable. In one instance, the Velcro card ended up flapping around as I moved, and falling off. I found this to be exacerbated when trying to switch cards in the middle of a stress event. I like Velcro, but I'm not sold on this as a solution for carrying extra rounds on a shotgun. Other are sure to have different opinions.

i look forward to seeing your new offering. As I say, you make great stuff.

Thanks for your feedback. What make and model of velcro and shot cards did you experience this with?

The Esstac cards + Industrial strength Velcro have been rock solid for us over the 7 years we've been using them.

Has anyone else experienced less than stable performance using velcro cards?

Thanks for your feedback. What make and model of velcro and shot cards did you experience this with?

The Esstac cards + Industrial strength Velcro have been rock solid for us over the 7 years we've been using them.

Has anyone else experienced less than stable performance using velcro cards?

i don't remember the brand, sorry. It was 4-5 years ago when I ran them through a shotgun class on my M1 S90. Day 1 went well, but as the class progressed, they became less stable for me. After the class, I removed it, gave it to a friend and put on a rigid carrier. I've never looked back.

at the risk of sounding like a specwar-wannabe, they are probably just fine for the vast majority of uses. If I am ever doing weapons transition "for real" while rolling around in the dirt and brush, I'm having a really bad day. If one is not making frequent and repeated contact with the ground, it's likely they will stay right where they were placed. but as I say, I did have that experience and the experience stuck with me (no velcro pun intended...).

Edited by trob09

A quick update for anyone hoping to get one of our BOR/RMR + RM06 bundles any time soon:

Our rep at Trijicon just told us that since the release of the Glock MOS 19 and 17, sales of RMRs have taken off ten fold. As such, their lead time for RMR orders is a disheartening 12 weeks...

That Kinda makes sense, I'm wantin' a few Glock MOS myself as well as an RMR for my M4.

Thanks

http://forums.benelliusa.com/showthread.php/33247-Scalar-Works-Mesa-Side-saddle-combo

I just cut the rail segment off, and then cut a U shaped segment out of the Mesa Side-Saddle.