R1 Reloading

phenom101

While cleaning brass for 30-06 i noticed a small disfiguration on most of the cases . It's located right above the head ( 'bout 2mm ) almost directly in the spot , where bolt touches the barrel. Measured under 30x comparator, the difference is somewhere between 0.0003- 0.001" from what it suppose to be .

My question : Is this normal ??? is this enough to be concerned about proper functioning of a bolt ?

All of my R1 handloads are somewhere in the middle on powder charge. None of them come even close to max. pressure limit. I only noticed this problem poping up while using "faster" powders.

None of this happens to any of my other semi-auto rifle' brass. Regular dents and bite marks on extractor ... but no visible marks on case body itself.

JB

________

Red head live

Edited by phenom101

Haha , for all i know most of the HK family are brass manglers . Still have my ol' msg90 and like it alot, but it's a total pain to see the policed brass after firing. Shells flying out of the receiver are just deadly as bullets itself lmao.

Check a few shells for those markings . I would deeply appreciate this . Hopefully it's nothing to worry about .

Thanks

JB

________

Curvy live

Edited by phenom101

I finally got a chance to fire a few rounds today. I hate it when work gets in the way of life, but I'm glad I'm one the lucky few who still know the difference ;)

The only marks or variances I'm seeing are from the extractor. I don't see anything beyond those, which appear to be normal.

Back to that 940...

A hunting buddy has been using one for years. I had the misfortune of standing on the eject side of that thing one day when we were rapid-firing on a herd of does as they tried to escape. After a quick three hot ones on the back of my head, I yielded the forward position to him. ****ed glad I had an insulated cap on!

/sidenote - finally got the replacement stock from Benelli today. It could not have been any more different in color and grain than my forearm. No way am I settling for that. Called Benelli and we agreed for me to finish out the season and then ship them the rifle for a matched set. They're also going to look at the bolt hold-open to make sure nothing's wrong there.

Good luck with those boars.

Happy hunting.

[ 12-02-2004, 05:31 PM: Message edited by: tucker301 ]

Thanks for checking those brass marks Tucker. I will try different powder to see whats going on . Maybe slower burning powder will solve this prob. Anyways , help much appreciated.

6 more days till departure , R1 ready to go. Also purchased a 1014 ( pickup on friday) .... wheew this is going to be fun !!

________

Coach Purses

Edited by phenom101