What runs your Benelli?

Vertigofirearms

I use what I use on my M14/M1A rifles. Grease. Rifle grease to be specific, either lubriplate 130A or plastilube. The recoil spring gets oil, the FP channel gets a drop or two of oil. The bolt gets a few drops of oil prior to insertion into the carrier, but the outside of the bolt carrier and tail gets greased.

Very interesting variety we have so far. I will definitely be testing out some of your recommendations.

I am using MPRO-7 right now for internals; and the nationwide notorious Frog Lube for external surface. So no issues with this combo (in a very dry, drought ridden California)

I do have Lubriplate and LPS-1 at my place of employment, as well as Starrett Instrument Oil for my micrometers.

EDIT: My biggest dissatisfaction with Frog Lube and MPRO-7 is that I cannot obtain any lab certifications from an accredited association.

Edited by Vertigofirearms

Very interesting variety we have so far. I will definitely be testing out some of your recommendations.

I am using MPRO-7 right now for internals; and the nationwide notorious Frog Lube for external surface. So no issues with this combo (in a very dry, drought ridden California)

I do have Lubriplate and LPS-1 at my place of employment, as well as Starrett Instrument Oil for my micrometers.

EDIT: My biggest dissatisfaction with Frog Lube and MPRO-7 is that I cannot obtain any lab certifications from an accredited association.

MPro7 LPX is open source, nearly. What would you like to know? FrogLube, I am not fond of. Like most vegetable type oils it turns to elmer's glue in a few months.

I've found viscosity to matter very little, personally. What is your specific reason for wanting to know viscosity?

Several weeks ago while at my place of employment, I was switching out the chuck on our CNC lathe. I started asking something about the oils, coolants, and greases. That turned into a sixty minute lecture from the Engineer about what goes on what on the machine, why it goes there, and what happens when the wrong type of liquid is used.

EDIT: I pretty much accomplished nothing to answer your question. In short, the viscosity is all relative to the friction coefficient (the amount of resistance two things display when sliding against each other) , wear, and longevity of the liquid used.

Edited by Vertigofirearms

Several weeks ago while at my place of employment, I was switching out the chuck on our CNC lathe. I started asking something about the oils, coolants, and greases. That turned into a sixty minute lecture from the Engineer about what goes on what on the machine, why it goes there, and what happens when the wrong type of liquid is used.

A CNC lathe is different from a firearm. Is different from a vehicle. I think that the viscosity aspect is over-thought on a firearm, and the simple "if it slides it gets grease, if it rotates it gets oil" is out-dated by the creation of better EP additives as well as the complication that in the firearm world, often "sliding" means "floating", such as is the case with the M4 Benelli carrier. It may slide, but really, it floats if you think about the tolerances involved.

Les Baer recommends CLP on their pistol slide/frame interface.

Benelli ships with a bottle of rather thin oil.

Pat Rogers and many others use a CLP type product on the M4 carbine

SIG has recommended things from TW25B grease to Militec-1 oil (junk, IMO). I have pistols (same model) that shipped with both from the factory.

I think in the firearm world lubricant viscosity is over-thought.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...