M4 Collapsable stock problems

3gunner

I have been running the c-stock for several years now and recently while shooting heavier loads it has been moving forward and getting stuck in between the 2nd and 3rd positions and slightly to the right side. After forcing it back into place and continuing to use it for a few days, I removed the stock to look at the recoil tube and found that the 3rd position groove was been worn down a little bit.

Has anyone else experienced this? I am thinking that the remedy would be to purchase a new 3-position recoil tube...

Any input would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance.

Never heard of this occurring before. Can you photograph the receiver extension to show the wear?

Have you inspected the inside of the collapsible stock with a light to see if the pin that engages those lugs is in okay shape?

I can assist if needed with the replacement of the receiver extension if it is warranted. Hopefully it can be avoided though since it isn't the easiest job in the world.

attachment.php?attachmentid=2826&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=2827&stc=1

Thanks for all the quick feedback guys! I noticed that I left out a very important fact. The c-stock is a Promag, which I purchased to avoid the 922r trigger group switchover. It has worked well for several years, but now that you mentioned the roll pin, it does show wear and some metal shavings have came off. Additionally, the 3rd position groove on the recoil tube has been smoothed out on the right side (likely from the damaged roll pin).

So now the dilemma is, will I have the same issue with a new factory Benelli stock? Also, if I go that route I will need to replace 2 additional factory parts with US made parts to be 922r compliant... Or I can always put back on the factory fixed stock which I still have and the recoil tube will be a non-issue.

I just really prefer the form and function of the c-stock.

Now that I have included the pics and more detail, do you think the factory stock will run fine on this recoil tube? If so, I will probably keep the promag grip and replace the hammer and the fore end in order to be 922r compliant.

Alright alright. I made a mistake...but now I am in need of your input about the condition of the factory recoil tube, before I spend the money on the factory c-stock and make the required 922r changes.

What are your thoughts, does the wear look normal, will a factory c-stock run well on that recoil tube?

Alright alright. I made a mistake...but now I am in need of your input about the condition of the factory recoil tube, before I spend the money on the factory c-stock and make the required 922r changes.

What are your thoughts, does the wear look normal, will a factory c-stock run well on that recoil tube?

Tube looks ok !

without a doubt.........will run just fine

Thanks so much StangerDanger!

I just got off the phone with promag and they are sending me a new c-stock (was impressed with the customer service). I think you are right that it should function just fine with the oem pin and button. I just need to figure out if those parts will fit into the promag setup....

THIS is why "Mil-spec" or "very well developed and tested part" matters. I think, looking at pictures, that functionally, your issue is isolated to the stock itself. Sure, it worked great for a while, but now look at the suck.

A good reminder to always use quality parts, or be prepared to replace them at a later date.

Thanks so much StangerDanger!

I just got off the phone with promag and they are sending me a new c-stock (was impressed with the customer service). I think you are right that it should function just fine with the oem pin and button. I just need to figure out if those parts will fit into the promag setup....

Pin, button, and spring. SHOULD fit. This sounds viable.